Photography Enthusiasts...?

Topic locked
Photography enthusiasts...? Nov 14, 2007
Any DSLR photography enthusiasts here?

iceman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 14, 2007
I am a photography enthusiast, but what' DSLR?
tcjames
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 14, 2007
Digital Single Lens Reflex camera

You can know more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_si ... lex_camera

So have you been taking pictures here in Dubai? Have you got any online album or stuff..? Let me know by PM

Cheers,
iceman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 14, 2007
actually, i'm new here... once i have some i shall post a link on here, if you like. this may take a week or two though
tcjames
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 14, 2007
So do you have any other then...
iceman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Canon Powershot Nov 27, 2007
Have got S5 IS canon power shot, but its not mine. Planning to buy one soon any suggestions?
Icarus
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 27, 2007
there are plenty of good cameras around, but you normally have to look hard for things like lenses and flash units. most if the stores in the malls sell the basics though. i found quiet a good one at the bottom of ibn battua mall (near geante) that has quiet a selction of extras as well as a fair selection of lenses. there is also a good one upstairs in wafi, but very pricey, and there was a very good one in deira (behind the twin towers building), although i'm not sure if they are still there.

want a good tip? take a plastic bag with you if you decied to go to the desert and take snaps, i've manged to wreck two cameras already because of the dust
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 27, 2007
I am looking more at Digital SLR's . I prefer sony to anything else have even zeroed down on some now waiting for the funds :lol:
I dont usually venture in the deserts, mountains are what i am deeply involved with.So how long are you in dubai? Do you really thing buying from these malls is of anyhelp. I think buying from the streets of Deira or Bur dubai might give you heavy discounts. aint it so?
Icarus
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 27, 2007
i'm talking DSLR's here. The prices are pretty good all round, just because you buy it from the side-streets in Bur Dubai means your'e getting a bargain! Rather buy the camera body (although most are supplied with a lense or two), at a reputable agent, that way you at least get a guarentee/ warrentee (normally an international one).

Import duty into the uae is 5%, this means that the prices of electornics are pretty cheap all round.

There's plenty of sand and dust around, no matter where you go :D
I was in dubai for 6 years, hoping to be back there next year though. I go more for macro/ close-up pics than landscapes :)
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 28, 2007
Hi there,

dbxsoul is referring to 'Grand Store'...they have outlets in MOE, DCC & IBM (near Giant). They are pretty good guys and help a lot specially at MOE & IBM.

I got myself Nikon D80 with the basic lens of 18-135. Eventually I narrowed down my choices between Nikon & Cannon....I did consider Sony too but had to drop it due to better lens options of Nikon & Cannon.

Top SLR cameras (of same range) are not much apart from each other in terms of options & results...so making a choice can be real tough. That’s what I found out when I had to choose between Nikon & Cannon.

Don't forget one thing though...its not the camera...it’s the person behind the camera who takes the pics....so brand doesn't matter.

Cheers
iceman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 28, 2007
iceman wrote:

Don't forget one thing though...its not the camera...it’s the person behind the camera who takes the pics....so brand doesn't matter.

Cheers

That is always true my friend, but one cannot achieve the results merely with a hot shot? Most of the time it is the camera when u looking at the following points:
Battery life
Zoom
Resolution(digital)
Features
last but not the least the availability of spare parts!

These should help you in deciding between tough competitors like canon etc.
Icarus
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 28, 2007
iceman wrote:
That is always true my friend, but one cannot achieve the results merely with a hot shot? Most of the time it is the camera when u looking at the following points:
Battery life
Zoom
Resolution(digital)
Features
last but not the least the availability of spare parts!

These should help you in deciding between tough competitors like canon etc.

:lol: That was exactly my point when I said I narrowed down my options between Nikon & Cannon.......Sony is far behind !
iceman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 22, 2007
Hello amigos!

So can you tell if Sony Alpha is sold in Duty free in Airport of Dubai?
Danday
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Dec 22, 2007
Hi all--

It's funny, I'm actually pretty set with DSLRs. I shoot with a Nikon D1H and D70. But I really want to find two things here: a sensor cleaning kit, and a cheap used Nikon film body. Any idea where I should look, especially for the second one...?
wmcmiii
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 23, 2007
any reviews on 400D yet? did any of u get one or get to use one? how much does it cost in here?
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 23, 2007
iceman wrote:Hi there,

dbxsoul is referring to 'Grand Store'...they have outlets in MOE, DCC & IBM (near Giant). They are pretty good guys and help a lot specially at MOE & IBM.

I got myself Nikon D80 with the basic lens of 18-135. Eventually I narrowed down my choices between Nikon & Cannon....I did consider Sony too but had to drop it due to better lens options of Nikon & Cannon.

Top SLR cameras (of same range) are not much apart from each other in terms of options & results...so making a choice can be real tough. That’s what I found out when I had to choose between Nikon & Cannon.

Cheers

I got myself D80 couple of months ago but the price was not really cheaper than in my home country and it is not the cheapest country in Europe.. I bought it from one of the small shops in MoE (2nd floor, can't remember the shop name).

I wanted to buy the D80 body and 18-200mm VR lens. They could not sell only the body but they wanted to sell the D80 kit (with 18-135mm lens). After a little small talk they agreed to sell me a kit with 18-200mm instead of 18-135mm ( of course I had to give more money and they deducted the price of the 18-135mm ).

Few days ago I got myself the Nikkor 50mm/f1.8 lens.

Oh, yeah.. I'm just a beginner :)
Raakile
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 25, 2007
Ok geeks,

I own a Canon D400 with the standard 18 - 55mm lens, which is functional and utilitarian. I also backed that up with a Sigma 70 - 300mm and thats again, a simple to use, light and functional piece of glass with a macro facility.

Chose the Canon over the Nikon (been a Nikon user since the days of the F2 photomic and there are very few members of this forum who will know what the hell that was!) due to the availability of 2 ranges of lenses: dedicated amateur and resonable price and serious professional and take out a mortgage. The Canon and Nikon lenses are pretty evenly matched at the top end, but other manufacturers such as Sigma, Tamron and Vivitar also make some nice low priced kit.

It is down to the person pushing the button at the end of the day, however it is also important to have the right optics. The camera is just a processing unit and can be simple or complex depending on your choice. The Canon D400 offers a fully automatic mode and even my 89 year old mum can use it, but you can turn all the autofocus hocus pocus off and use it as a real camera if you understand the principles of photography.
Unfortunately this means you need to know about ISO values, f stops, depth of fields, shutter speed effects and bracketed metering...like real photography.

I use mine for work and play and its a good solid machine. Try Sharaf DG, they are offering the camera with standard lens, case and tripod for about 3,999 Dhs at the moment.

Good value and good results in the right hands.

Happy snapping!

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat