So Now They Are Banning Shisha

Topic locked
So now they are banning Shisha Oct 22, 2007
Image .

OK enuff staring at the pic :wink:

Dubai: Shisha cafes in the UAE could soon become a thing of the past. The draft anti-smoking law, which calls for a ban on public smoking, is likely to seal the fate of shisha-cafes that have mushroomed in the country.

Source: Gulf News
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Health/10161966.html

It is a good move as the smell gives me headache

abdulnafees
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 22, 2007
I heard that shisha places will only be allowed to sell shisha, nothing else, not even water or soft drinks..

Does anyone know about this?
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Oct 22, 2007
they wont be allowed to have it outside or in public
abdulnafees
Dubai forums Addict

Re: So now they are banning Shisha Oct 22, 2007
abdulnafees wrote:
It is a good move as the smell gives me headache

The smell gives me a headache too.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 22, 2007
Well, it's been a long time coming...

Over the last 8 or so years, they gradually stopped places from smoking outside.

I used to enjoy having a puff on Al Diyafa... Arax (Sidra), Evonax, and that other little place opposite Al Mallah, but like I said, they put a stop to that...

I used to smoke shisha a lot but I have cut down massively now. To be honest, I really did start to notice the effects, especially to my respiratory system and tolerance to colds and coughs...
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Oct 23, 2007
Not before time to be honest, I used to live +/- 250m from a shisha cafe and the smell at night was sometimes overpowering.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 23, 2007
Well, you know once they ban smoking, they will pick on overweight people next. You can already see the trend.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the exhaust from cars on Sheikh Zayed Road and the chemicals you breathe in from that on a daily basis. Or the concrete dust in the air from construction.

I do agree with the banning smoking from shopping centres and restaurants, but banning it from cafes, clubs, bars and other places is just a silly flip out reaction.

People really need to get over themselves and the stupid idea that just one whif of 'smoke' is dangerous.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 23, 2007
I hate the smell... i wont miss it ! :wink:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 23, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Well, you know once they ban smoking, they will pick on overweight people next. You can already see the trend.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the exhaust from cars on Sheikh Zayed Road and the chemicals you breathe in from that on a daily basis. Or the concrete dust in the air from construction.

I do agree with the banning smoking from shopping centres and restaurants, but banning it from cafes, clubs, bars and other places is just a silly flip out reaction.

People really need to get over themselves and the stupid idea that just one whif of 'smoke' is dangerous.

They ban what they can. I support it.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 23, 2007
gtmash wrote:
^ian^ wrote:Well, you know once they ban smoking, they will pick on overweight people next. You can already see the trend.

Freedom is a funny thing. Everyone supports freedom until they realise they have none. By then it is too late.
^ian^

Oct 23, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Freedom is a funny thing. Everyone supports freedom until they realise they have none. By then it is too late.

"Freedom"? Vat iz dis "freedom"? Haram alaik!
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 23, 2007
Sorry I was busy staring at the picture, took a while to respond.

I noticed that my two favorite shisha places walking distance from me, one is completely closed down and the other no longer does shisha. I was wondering if the rules were changed.

I only like to smoke Shisha outside and do enjoy it. I’m sorry I think bringing it only in doors is not a good idea, as people will continue to smoke and doing so in a tightly enclosed area is more harmful to the wait staff that are working there. I love to sit out and people watch having a puff, it’ll be a sad day for me when this is outlawed :(
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 23, 2007
fayz wrote:Sorry I was busy staring at the picture, took a while to respond.
:(

I just realized what you were staring at in the pic. I didn't pay attention before. Now I know why you love shisha places.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 23, 2007
Well I think it's a good thing personally. If people want to do it, then do it in designated areas or in your own home.

I support the banning of fatties too! No-one forced you to eat all the pies! :lol:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 23, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Well I think it's a good thing personally. If people want to do it, then do it in designated areas or in your own home.

I support the banning of fatties too! No-one forced you to eat all the pies! :lol:

Just wait until you start adding the kgs., as for the smoking thing, it should be banned from all public places, bars, restaurants, cafes etc. I went to Ireland last year where the ban is in force, and to be in a bar and not to have to breath in all the smoke was indeed a pleasure.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 25, 2007
ME gain Kilos? Don't think so. I feel totally icky if even put on an ounce.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 25, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Well I think it's a good thing personally. If people want to do it, then do it in designated areas or in your own home.

Just wait until you start adding the kgs., as for the smoking thing, it should be banned from all public places, bars, restaurants, cafes etc. I went to Ireland last year where the ban is in force, and to be in a bar and not to have to breath in all the smoke was indeed a pleasure.

You obviously kept your mouth shut though.
^ian^

Oct 25, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

No need, I don't have an Australian accent :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 25, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

No need, I don't have an Australian accent :lol:

All the more reason to shut up then eh?
^ian^

hey Oct 26, 2007
wait till you see BAN ON BREATHING
hack88
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 26, 2007

You and I have been down this path before if you recall. It's not the case of a puff of smoke is going to kill you. That's just stupid. It's a case of long term effects on the people who have to work in those situations day in and day out or the people who have to live in a smoking environment. It's one thing to do something yourself with your own free will. It's completely another to have no choice in the matter. So you believe that it's more of an inconvenience for you to step outside for a couple minutes to smoke than for non-smokers to have to inhale your second hand smoke? All I can say is you're lucky you're not living in Canada during the winter. It's quite funny to watch them all huddled together at minus 30 just so they can get their fix. The dumb asses that really piss me off though are the one's who are driving down the road with a minivan full of kids smoking away with the window cracked. And the exhaust from the cars while yes is not healthy I don't have to put my face up to the tail pipe. It's not in my home. It's not in my car. It's not in my face while I'm eating or drinkng or dancing. I can agree that it may be a pain in the arse for the smoker. Although I feel that it is much more a pain in the ass for the non-smoker to be stuck in the same room as a smoker. I'm glad they're banning it. Public smoking is honestly the reason why I chose not to take an opportunity in Dubai. I wasn't comfortable knowing that my children and pregnant (at the time) wife would be subjected to that every time they went anywhere. If the ban holds up maybe I'll reconsider. Then me and Ian can go for a smoke! Kidding! But I'd gladly wait inside while you went out to smoke!
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 26, 2007
I wish non smokers would change the record.

Smokers have Rights i say and in your case Gigsy we make a huge contribution in Tax which in turn makes your take home pay what it is - no smokers would put 3p on the basic rate of income tax.

:lol:
arniegang

Oct 26, 2007
Ahhh...Arnie....well thought out. The old taxes defense. And even better the smoker's rights argument. One. My country taxes the crap out of everything so no my paycheck isn't dependant on your vice. Those taxes oddly enough go to things like universal health care...which smokers will more often than not be the ones partaking in. Apparently tracheotomies and chemotherapy are expensive. So again, no my paycheck is not dependant upon your contribution. In fact the taxes from my paycheck will end up paying for all those lovely smoking related issues you all will delvelop. Thanks anyway. And yes, I'm sure tax structures vary from nation to nation. Two, smokers rights. No one is taking your right to smoke away from you. Smoke 'em if you got 'em! There just telling you that non smokers, children, etc have rights as well. You can still smoke so you essentially still have every right to smoke. And I can still go out in public without having my rights infringed upon. Which essentially keeps my rights to clean air. So essentially what smokers are complaining about is that they have to get up from the table, walk out the front door and smoke outside. Think of it as cardio that you'll need before your lungs develop those lovely spores, blackness and cancer. All that walking might keep you fit for a while longer! And yes, that last bit was sarcasm.
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 26, 2007
arniegang wrote:I wish non smokers would change the record.

Smokers have Rights i say and in your case Gigsy we make a huge contribution in Tax which in turn makes your take home pay what it is - no smokers would put 3p on the basic rate of income tax.

Arnie boy, give me a break, who cares about income tax, I want to breathe clean air and that is my right.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 26, 2007
i know you dont care about income tax Sage mate, but i do and yup i pay 40% basic and capital gains which goes up next year to 18%. Add on the tax i pay for my fags and everything else inc VAT i probably pay a true rate of around 60% tax.

So gigsy your argument is flawed re the tax i more than cover my share to the health service, in addition we have private medical so not only do i pay my share to the NHS i pay extra to not use it.

Gigsy - when you next fly out of H'row make sure you tell the smokers they can smoke outside anywhere they want too NOT.

All this passive smoking is just hype by the minority that dont like it and was started by Roy Castle and his ilk
arniegang

Oct 26, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
arniegang wrote:I wish non smokers would change the record.

Arnie boy, give me a break, who cares about income tax, I want to breathe clean air and that is my right.

Hey, let's become groupies for higher tobacco taxes. I still have my billboards from that "Make Burj Dubai Taller" campaign.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 26, 2007
what you mean!!!!

we already pay approx 40 dhs for a packet of fags, noo not a carton, a packet of 20 that costs 5dhs in DXB

:twisted: :twisted:
arniegang

Oct 26, 2007
I don't think my point is flawed. As a smoker's health issues come from my pocket too. And I wasn't the cause. But you could potentially go round and round on that one too. (ie) a fat guy eats to many greasy hamburgers and has a massive heartattack. We're all paying for that too. It's the price of a universal healthcare system we have in Canada. And I'll gladly pay into it. Here in Canada we're taxed on everything too. Smoking, drinking, eating...everything. It's insane. So I feel your pain. I personally don't think there should be anymore of a tax on cigarettes than there on everything else. Unfortunately for smokers the gov't realizes that you're hooked and will pay whatever they ask. So that's with the gov't not me. I don't think you should tax anyone higher than the next just because you know you've got them based on an addiction. That's dirty pool in my book. So we can probably agree on that so some point. However, the real point is that you sitting there next to me in a bar or airport or mall, I have NO CHOICE as to what I'm breathing based entirely on the fact that you're too lazy & inconvenienced to take a stroll outside to a designated area. I get clean air. You still get to smoke. Just not everywhere. Because again, your rights are not being taken away. Everytime you light up next to me, you take mine away. Take the 30 second walk outside and smoke all you like.
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 26, 2007
arniegang wrote:i know you dont care about income tax Sage mate, but i do and yup i pay 40% basic and capital gains which goes up next year to 18%. Add on the tax i pay for my fags and everything else inc VAT i probably pay a true rate of around 60% tax.

So gigsy your argument is flawed re the tax i more than cover my share to the health service, in addition we have private medical so not only do i pay my share to the NHS i pay extra to not use it.

Gigsy - when you next fly out of H'row make sure you tell the smokers they can smoke outside anywhere they want too NOT.

All this passive smoking is just hype by the minority that dont like it and was started by Roy Castle and his ilk

Arnie boy, The fact of the matter is I don't like the damn smell, it is not about passive smoking.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 26, 2007
What you mean Sage ??-Shisha is lovely, savour the aroma of strawberry, mint, apple etc.

Its far more pleasant than getting a whiff of smelly armpits.

arniegang

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat