Nature Or Nurture

Topic locked
Nature or Nurture Dec 30, 2011
As you do over the Christmas period, I went to visit some relatives today. My Uncle was quite high in one of the Northern Police Constabularies and has some wicked banter!
His two sons have followed in his footsteps.
He trained a lot of Arabs from Qatar and Bahrain and amused the whole family with more of his tales.

We got talking about gays.

One of my family has just discovered they are pregnant. I was telling my Uncle that this person was most concerned about their unborn child. It had been conceived whilst the mother was taking the contraceptive pill. The expectant mother was concerned that because she had a high level of hormones in her body at the time of conception, the baby may be born 'gay'.

My Uncle said it was nature against nurture.

I have 3 gay cousins. (My dad swears it's not from his side). My Uncle reckons that the mothers of these cousins were cold. There was no cuddling of the children when they were little and it's his theory that this is what caused them to be gay. He has also watched a programme recently which looked at identical twins seperated at birth which supported his theory that it's how the child is raised rather than genetics. (I'm pleased I read this back as I had written 'generics' there :D )

So...is it nature or nurture?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Nature Or Nurture Dec 30, 2011
I'd like to think it's both. The idea that everything is genetic is a bit depressing. I have never heard a baby cry in a gay way, so I presume nuture also is involved. A year ago my son wanted to go the ballet. I bended it to karate, told him thats for men. My wife and other females said I shouldn't have done that and that if dancing is his passion, I should support him in that. Still, I am not sorry about it and other men support me with this. My daughter hated dolls from a very young age, and pratically only did guys stuff. She is a bit of a tomboy. It worries me much less than my son wanted to go to ballet though.
I donot have any gay males in my circle of familty/friends/aquintances. I do have some lesbian aquintances though. Although I am sure they are not examplary, but they tend to be sexual deviant. Some will have se.x with anything with a pulse or jump from r/s to r/s. That makes me believe in quite some cases homosexuality (or bisexuality) can point to some more general problems, although not necessarily so). Recently a lesbian couple was getting engaged. She told the story and bored me somewhat, when she said they (both are absolute stunners) are looking for a sperm donor, she got my full attention. They choose a cousin from lady A and lady B was getting pregant, so the baby has genes from both sides. I dunno, it gave me the creeps somehow.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

FD, weren't you the one looking to purchase a pair of red high heels last Xmas? :shock: :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

LoL! This year its boots with panther skin.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

My Uncle was also telling me about some friends of theirs. Their son is gay and was a Policeman in the Met. He left the met because he didn't like his Sargeant. My Uncle said there are 3000 Sargeants in the Met and he should have just got another one. Instead he went to live in Australia and has now decided to marry his gay lover.
They are going to NY to get married soon. Apparantly you can have the full church thing in New York state. I'm not really up on gay marriages. I think you can only have a civil ceremony in the UK.
I don't really think it's appropriate to have a same sex wedding in Church, but that probably says more about me than them.
Bethsmum

Re: Nature Or Nurture Dec 31, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote:A year ago my son wanted to go the ballet. I bended it to karate, told him thats for men.
Really?! You know Jean Claude Van Damme studied classical ballet for 5 years - that's why he is such a good martial artist and so flexible! He also says it's one of the most intense and difficult 'sports' and if you can survive a ballet workout, you can survive a workout in any other sport - that coming from a man who was also a professional weightlifter, full contact sport competitor etc etc.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Really?! You know Jean Claude Van Damme studied classical ballet for 5 years - that's why he is such a good martial artist and so flexible! He also says it's one of the most intense and difficult 'sports' and if you can survive a ballet workout, you can survive a workout in any other sport - that coming from a man who was also a professional weightlifter, full contact sport competitor etc etc.

Wow, that put me straight!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I wouldn't want to see Claude in a tutu and tights.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat