More Research To Guilt Working Moms

Topic locked
More research to guilt working moms Feb 05, 2011
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 31518.html
-------------------------------------------
They found that the total number of years the children's mothers worked had a cumulative influence on their children's body mass index (BMI) - the weight to height ratio used to measure if a person is overweight or obese.

'Every period of time (averaging 5.3 months) a mother was employed was associated with an increase in her child's BMI of 10 per cent of a standard deviation,' says the study which was published in the journal Child Development. 'For a child of average height, this is equivalent to a gain in weight of nearly one pound (0.5kg) every five months above and beyond what would typically be gained as a child ages.'
------------------------------------
"The researchers were unable to clearly explain the findings but theorised that because working mothers have little time to shop for healthy food and prepare meals, they and their children eat more fast and packaged foods, which tend to be high in fat and calories."

-------------------------------------

No doubt this kind of research is going to please those in favour of women staying home with the kids and staying out of the work force.

It may well be a good theory that working moms are tired and often turn to high calorie fast food to feed the family, especially if they are constantly left in charge of food and cooking and the rest of the domestic and child care chores on top of their jobs.

Do you think that the fathers should be off the hook?

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: More Research To Guilt Working Moms Feb 05, 2011
Or it could be used as justification to have a slave, err maid do everything.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: More research to guilt working moms Feb 05, 2011
I think it's a terrible study, I really do. What is it with people constantly trying to say that women or working mums are a abd idea? And no fathers should not be off the hook. My mother stopped working for a few years when my brother and I were very little, but then she went back to work and it was definitaly all hands on deck. In fact my father used to do the majority of cooking.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote: In fact my father used to do the majority of cooking.

That may be the reason you were skinny and undernourished!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

LOL not at all, he's a brilliant cook actually. DK, you're good in the kitchen too, so you shouldn't be putting your fellow males down.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

benwj wrote:Or it could be used as justification to have a slave, err maid do everything.

So if a wife does it all after her full-time work hours she isn't a slave. If you hire a maid to do it for a monthly salary it is slavery. :lol:

-- Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:14 am --

The researchers should survey a large population of double-income families and compare two groups - one with working mothers who do all the grocery shopping and cooking, one with working fathers who do all the grocery shopping and cooking. Then they can see what the results are... is it only working women who feed their kids high calorie fast food or do the fathers do the same? Perhaps the real conclusion would be that busy families need to pay more attention to buying and preparing healthy food, managing their time so that they can make healthy food in the same amount of time as "fast food'.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:
benwj wrote:Or it could be used as justification to have a slave, err maid do everything.

So if a wife does it all after her full-time work hours she isn't a slave. If you hire a maid to do it for a monthly salary it is slavery. :lol:

Definition of the term 'W.I.F.E':

Washing
Ironing
Feeding...

Everything!

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

So that's where the word wife came from! ;) :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Chocoholic wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

LOL not at all, he's a brilliant cook actually. DK, you're good in the kitchen too, so you shouldn't be putting your fellow males down.

And whats wrong with being crap in the kitchen?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: More Research To Guilt Working Moms Feb 06, 2011
Everyone can improve their skills!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat