18-month-old Baby Has Been Declared An Illegal

Topic locked
Apr 16, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:I never really understood the "respect for national dress" thing.

Firstly, why on earth should people respect others based on their clothing? I respect elders, women, children, but based on clothes??

Secondly, even if expats gain an unfair respect advantage through clothing, why on earth should that be a problem for authorities?

I speak Arabic with a Khaleeji accent, so will I be told not to do so, in case people mistake me for a local (which they sometimes do, specially over phone) ?

The dress thing took place about 12 years ago and came out of Abu Dhabi.

I agree respect should be given to all regardless of their station in life, dress, culture, etc. You would be amazed how non-locals wearing local dress would take advantage of it. Especially acting arrogant and rude and thinking they could get away with it. Why change the way you dress to get respect? Let people respect you for who you are.

And I think you are missing the point. This is not about accents or being mistaken over the phone. My point was how people wanted to appear to be something they weren't. I'm mistaken for being from the UK and I'm not, so I just correct it. No biggie.

Just a suggestion: Try wearing local dress for one week, every day, and tell me you don't see a difference in treatment?

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 16, 2009
Sometimes I wish that all the expats would leave the UAE, and let the 20% Emirati population look after their country by themselves. If families can't even stay together and people who have stayed decades can't get citizenship, then why do people even want to stay and contribute to a place that will never accept them.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 16, 2009
kanelli wrote:Sometimes I wish that all the expats would leave the UAE, and let the 20% Emirati population look after their country by themselves. If families can't even stay together and people who have stayed decades can't get citizenship, then why do people even want to stay and contribute to a place that will never accept them.

Quite interesting but funny thought indeed...

Think of it;

1. Near empty roads,
2. Near empty skyscrapers,
3. No traffic congestions
4. Next to nothing GDP (compared with now)
5. No sewage issues
6. No cultural clashes
7. Completely unaffordable electricity and water prices
8. Ghosttown in the making?
9. Collapse of Dubai?

Ohh noooo don't wanna think about that, now do we?
Lets just keep up those appearances, don't you think.... :lol: :wink:

Just kidding guyz, just a little rant
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 17, 2009
kanelli wrote:Sometimes I wish that all the expats would leave the UAE, and let the 20% Emirati population look after their country by themselves. If families can't even stay together and people who have stayed decades can't get citizenship, then why do people even want to stay and contribute to a place that will never accept them.

useless thought from an empty mind .
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

Think of it;

1. Near empty roads,
5. No sewage issues
6. No cultural clashes
9. Collapse of Dubai?

ahhhhh just like the old days ...

I remeber the days we use to go to jumarah beach in 1987-88 to rent jet skis from that drunk guy on the beach just where jumirah open beach is now. it was nothing but old small locals housing :cry: .
uaekid

Apr 17, 2009
uaekid wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Think of it;

1. Near empty roads,
5. No sewage issues
6. No cultural clashes
9. Collapse of Dubai?

ahhhhh just like the old days ...

I remeber the days we use to go to jumarah beach in 1987-88 to rent jet skis from that drunk guy on the beach just where jumirah open beach is now. it was nothing but old small locals housing :cry: .

How largely divided we are in opinions, I do have sympathy for your thoughts, since Dubai's rapid change drives one back in the corner.

I would feel the same oppression of cultures that overwhelm you and press your identity in the sand, gradually. Maybe complain to your leaders? ;)
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
Seriously , I can not see UAE without expats, regardless of those bad stories, we locals were brought to this world with expats from all over the world around us, door to door neighbors, we use to sleep in each other houses ,eat and play together with no boundaries or racisms thoughts what so ever. We use to know them by names not by nationalities , mothers use to cook, gossip and help with each other.

Then came capitalism … and look at the world now. Fighting over money, jobs, food race , colors and who got the bigger muscles to flex and a voice to Roar. The human race became more of an animal in their behavior.
uaekid

Apr 17, 2009
True...so true. But with it came prosperity for all emiratis.

That is worth something too, I suppose.
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:True...so true. But with it came prosperity for all emiratis.

I suppose.
uaekid

Apr 17, 2009
uaekid wrote:
RobbyG wrote:True...so true. But with it came prosperity for all emiratis.

I suppose.

Lets shake hands and do a desert barbecue together :lol: ;)
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
uaekid wrote:

Really, is it a useless thought? It sounds like your dream come true to have zero expats here. Then no one will complain about how a.s.sbackwards the country is. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 17, 2009
kanelli wrote:
uaekid wrote:

Really, is it a useless thought? It sounds like your dream come true to have zero expats here. Then no one will complain about how a.s.sbackwards the country is. :lol:

The 'assbackwardness', as you name it, is probably holding back a lot of sensible foreigners who don't want anything to do with unjustice and things of the like. So what you get, might be a bit of 'rude' foreigners, who just give 'less of a damn' about coming to the Arab nations.

What people don't get, they don't follow.

The absence of 'assbackwardsness' might well attract bunches of the sensible people and make UAEkids day alot more sensible and wonderful. ;)

Just a thought
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
kanelli wrote:
uaekid wrote:

Sounds like your missing us K :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 17, 2009
naruto wrote:rules are set to be obaid not to be changed ..and outsiders dont have the right to come here and change owr rules just to satisfy their needs.
the parents knew about the rules, they didnt obay them, so they have to deal with the consequences. dont blame the GOV .. and please dont change the subject ,no body said that the parents cant keep their baby , they can take the baby and rais him any time but at their country.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

u should never miss a chance to picture ur kind as f***s.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 17, 2009
Seriously, I just don't get why people want to stay so long in the UAE when they have to send their babies back to their home country to be raised by family, or they work for decades in the UAE and can't even get citizenship. The smart ones will use any financial gain to educate themselves and then make a move to immigrate to a country that will allow them to be citizens and raise their family under the same roof.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 17, 2009
kanelli wrote:Seriously, I just don't get why people want to stay so long in the UAE when they have to send their babies back to their home country to be raised by family, or they work for decades in the UAE and can't even get citizenship. The smart ones will use any financial gain to educate themselves and then make a move to immigrate to a country that will allow them to be citizens and raise their family under the same roof.

You are spot on in that.

At one point people need the stability of rules and regulations they can rely on. If they have to watch their back every time, especially when getting older...they seek their comfort elsewhere. And most expats in Dubai will eventually leave the emirate, perhaps with a vacation home left holding for.

If you look at the marketing concept around Dubai, one gets this same image I just sketched. Dubai aims for the luxury segment of tourists. The HNW's of this world. (High Net Worth). Those people are not intending to stay very long. They merely have a good time and leave after vacation.

The expats will come and go. Ofcourse there are exceptions. And they will always remain in this globalised world.

I agree Kanelli, with your view on this matter.
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
kanelli wrote:The smart ones will use any financial gain to educate themselves and then make a move to immigrate to a country that will allow them to be citizens and raise their family under the same roof.

Enlightening :)
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 18, 2009
kanelli wrote:Seriously, I just don't get why people want to stay so long in the UAE when they have to send their babies back to their home country to be raised by family, or they work for decades in the UAE and can't even get citizenship. The smart ones will use any financial gain to educate themselves and then make a move to immigrate to a country that will allow them to be citizens and raise their family under the same roof.

hmm....... a good point.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 18, 2009
RobbyG wrote:The expats will come and go. Ofcourse there are exceptions. And they will always remain in this globalised world.

Expats don't come and go dude. Not the Asians(Indians, Pakistanis, Srilankans. Palestinians, Jordanians, etc) they live, their children live and on and on. Generations live in the UAE...Why? I don't understand. Some people only live to make money....
I know you said there are exceptions, but thought I'd point it out
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 18, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
RobbyG wrote:The expats will come and go. Ofcourse there are exceptions. And they will always remain in this globalised world.

Expats don't come and go dude. Not the Asians(Indians, Pakistanis, Srilankans. Palestinians, Jordanians, etc) they live, their children live and on and on. Generations live in the UAE...Why? I don't understand. Some people only live to make money....

Don't make conclusions out of your own imagination Misery...
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 18, 2009
Snow wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:

Don't make conclusions out of your own imagination Misery...

These are facts......you can't refute them.
Are you implyin that expats from certain communities here don't stay on and on and on?
I study here and I know people who parents have lived here for more than 15 years, many are actually born here and will continue to live here, despite belonging to another country.....For them their most precious commodity is a visa which enables them to live and work here....
This is definately not a figment from my imagination!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 22, 2009
A rule that should be changed for sure. Those parents should have every right to keep their baby with them.
Sarah_khal
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 04, 2009
Finally...

Common sense has prevailed with the intervention of the Minister of Interior, Sheikh Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahayan, who has ordered that a residency visa is to be issued for the baby.

The full story in Gulf News is here.
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Immigrat ... 07746.html

For those who are supporting this rule to ban the baby... there is something called "Common sense"
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

May 05, 2009
Excellent news! I'm very happy for the family that they will be able to keep their child here with them.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat