LOVE

Topic locked
LOVE Oct 03, 2011
So the heading of this topic may sound out of place, considering what we have been witness to over the last few days. After the major earthquake, the after-shocks are still being felt. It is unfortunate that no lessons appear to have been learnt. That is how it will always be.
Isn’t this how planet Earth functions in this day and age?
It appears to be the norm, or there would be no wars and death and destruction and misery. Maybe, hate begets hate. DF is a microcosm representing the wider world.
Why does all this strife and the ensuing misery happen? What is the one ingredient missing that pushes humankind to the edge? I wish I knew and had a short answer. My long answer is too long, and I don’t want to bore you with that.
Is tolerance, understanding the others view-point, and compassion another name for LOVE? I don’t know.
Are these qualities understandable by people from diverse backgrounds, engaged in the pursuit of entirely material gains?
Can closed minds ever change?
Does arrogance come from ignorance?

As the great Pashto poet Rehman Baba , a 17th century mystic poet, whose works have been widely translated, and could be found in Oxford England, Paris, and New York etc. says in one of his poems: “I have seen people drink from a Golden cup, for me Rehman an earthen pot is good enough”

I did come across some poetry in the Pashto language, by Rehman Baba, done to some nice music.
He talks of Love in this and addresses his beloved, but perhaps applicable in its wider sense. The opening few lines go something like this:
“Why don’t you look in the right way at me? Why do you want to increase my sadness? People around me look at my condition, and they get sad too; Why do you want to increase sadness in the world? Why have I been found guilty, when I have committed no crime? Why can I not comprehend what comes out of your red lips? I want to confess to one crime that I Love you! Your false smile is my punishment; Why do you have to look at yourself in the mirror now?”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BtJYuCe ... detailpage

Love!

zonker
BANNED

Re: LOVE Oct 03, 2011
In all honesty Zonker, it seems easier for many to be nasty than it is to be nice. Which myself I don't really understand.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:In all honesty Zonker, it seems easier for many to be nasty than it is to be nice. Which myself I don't really understand.

:drunken:
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Insaniyat sa pa dolat nade Rehmana
but ka jor shi da sro zaro, insan na de
Ghalib
Dubai Forum Visitor

Chocoholic wrote:In all honesty Zonker, it seems easier for many to be nasty than it is to be nice. Which myself I don't really understand.

Perhaps that is the reason their family members leave them, but they will not see it that way.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: LOVE Oct 04, 2011

Chocs, I would have to agree with you there, and its a really sad reflection on human-kind as well as the wider Universe, and the whole concept of a benevolent god or whatever. Do you believe there is such a thing? I think the a.s.s-holes rule! Yeah 8)

-- Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:49 am --

Ghalib wrote:Insaniyat sa pa dolat nade Rehmana

Ghalib!! Another Pukhtoon??
Thats a wonderful couplet from Rehman Baba.
Please translate it, or else I will have a go! :lol:
zonker
BANNED

I think you are right, that DF is a like a microcosm of the real world, especially if we consider people hating other people they know really nothing about. If we look at the personal level, some hateful fighting like what we have seen on here wouldn't happen so easily in real life if we were standing in front of our friends and had to be more accountable for our behaviour. That's one major difference.

I think that coming to a forum simply to toy with others and stand back and have a laugh at others getting upset is quite mean-spirited. I'm not sure what the pay-off is. Do those same people go around causing problems in their real-life circle of friends, just to get a kick out of watching the disharmony in the group? If not, why come to a forum to do it? Because they can? Because they are protected behind an anonymous avatar? Because they have insulated themselves within a like-minded group who egg them on in their wind-ups?

This is a forum in a Middle Eastern country and I think it is highly inappropriate for anyone to be on here posting anti-Semitic and anti-Islamic propaganda in order to wind people up from various religious backgrounds and cultures. Those are sensitive topics and the discussion should be approached with balanced criticism, not stereotyped, illogical, one-way hatred, like we have often seen on here.

How can there be peace on this forum with so many people having a laugh at others' expenses or spreading messages of intolerance and hate?

I'm fully aware that I am the "tattling" type who likes to police people's conduct on here, and I like to be "right". I know that annoys some people. Still, I'd consider that the lesser of the evils mentioned here. And I fully admit that I have lapsed in my own conduct too many times of late. Over the six years on here I have had a very good reputation as a helpful member who has good discussions and is respectful of others, even if we disagree. Most people respected me, and I realize that while many people have left the forum, some that have remained have likely lost some respect for me too. I'm sad that my own behaviour changed that and I have learned some good lessons.

A thought provoking post Zonker, thanks! I enjoyed the quote by Rehman Baba.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

God, 're we still talking about Love, GrowUp people!.... anyway, am in now ; )

-- Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:14 am --

Ghalib wrote:Insaniyat sa pa dolat nade Rehmana

Chi pa nazar kai sa ayeb na wei Rehmana!
Khkuley makh ta pa katu kai gona nishta!....

Ahhh!... My heart beat's with you're name,.... Pukhtunistan!!!!..........
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

Are you still beating your gums Kanelli?

This was supposed to be Zonker's thread on love.

Take a day off, why don't you?
Bethsmum

@ Thanks Kanelli for liking. However, as BM pointed out, I wanted to stress the "LOVE" more here. If only we could let go of the bitterness, turn over a new page and start afresh.
@Sharp: Pleased to meet you! Are you saying you are in love? Good if you are! I know the feeling! And another Pukhtoon too! And another great quote from Rehman Baba. Indeed there is no harm in looking at a pretty face if the thoughts are pure!
As for Pukhtoonistan, thats just a dream isn't it?
Anyways, Peace! :D
zonker
BANNED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1cTun4f ... re=related

Has as much meaning today as it did in 1973 when it was released.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I know, I was just discussing around the topic of the first part of your post. Sorry, but I'm not feeling inspired to talk about love on this forum. I have no optimism that some posters on this forum can get over their bitterness at others or turn over a new page and start afresh with those who have been so insulting and hurtful to them.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:I know, I was just discussing around the topic of the first part of your post. Sorry, but I'm not feeling inspired to talk about love on this forum. I have no optimism that some posters on this forum can get over their bitterness at others or turn over a new page and start afresh with those who have been so insulting and hurtful to them.

My response is not about love but a question for Kanelli: can you ever post without mentioning others and insinuating about their behaviour or what you consider objectionable? Just let others judge for themselves without your 'influencing' regardless of how long you been on the forum or who may or may not like/"respect' you...

Love.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

["kanelli"]I think that coming to a forum simply to toy with others and stand back and have a laugh at others getting upset is quite mean-spirited. I'm not sure what the pay-off is.

It's not only for laughs Kanelli. Would baiting be considered mean-spirited or just get get a rise out of someone? As you well know, it's also something to do to get a reaction and not necessarily meant to be mean spirited. Such as:

I'm fully aware that I am the "tattling" type who likes to police people's conduct on here, and I like to be "right". I know that annoys some people.

Actually it's annoying to alot of people. Thank you for acknowledging what most people have known.

I'm sad that my own behaviour changed that and I have learned some good lessons.

I guess going forward would be a good place to demonstrate what it is you learned.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: LOVE Oct 05, 2011
Ambassador wrote:
kanelli wrote:I know, I was just discussing around the topic of the first part of your post. Sorry, but I'm not feeling inspired to talk about love on this forum. I have no optimism that some posters on this forum can get over their bitterness at others or turn over a new page and start afresh with those who have been so insulting and hurtful to them.

My response is not about love but a question for Kanelli: can you ever post without mentioning others and insinuating about their behaviour or what you consider objectionable? Just let others judge for themselves without your 'influencing' regardless of how long you been on the forum or who may or may not like/"respect' you...

Love.

I have thousands of posts on this forum that are not about others but on various thread topics. I have no control over what you choose to focus on.

-- Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:01 am --

Bora Bora wrote:
["kanelli"]I think that coming to a forum simply to toy with others and stand back and have a laugh at others getting upset is quite mean-spirited. I'm not sure what the pay-off is.

It's not only for laughs Kanelli. Would baiting be considered mean-spirited or just get get a rise out of someone? As you well know, it's also something to do to get a reaction and not necessarily meant to be mean spirited. Such as:

I'm fully aware that I am the "tattling" type who likes to police people's conduct on here, and I like to be "right". I know that annoys some people.

Actually it's annoying to alot of people. Thank you for acknowledging what most people have known.

I'm sad that my own behaviour changed that and I have learned some good lessons.

I guess going forward would be a good place to demonstrate what it is you learned.

I think you should focus on yourself, and putting into practice what you have learned after all of this... If you learned anything.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:
Ambassador wrote:

Love.

I have thousands of posts on this forum that are not about others but on various thread topics. I have no control over what you choose to focus on.

-- Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:01 am --

Bora Bora wrote:

I think you should focus on yourself, and putting into practice what you have learned after all of this... If you learned anything.

What can I say Kanelli? Other than you're RIGHT!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I have to tell you everytime I read a post you put up this song seems to be playing in the background:

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I'm sorry, are you trying to bait me? :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Lighten up Officer Kanelli. :D Always so serious!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: LOVE Oct 06, 2011
Further translation from the quoted Rehman Baba's poetry:
"Each tree bears its own fruit; I have never seen a pomegranate growing in a lemon tree."! 8)
zonker
BANNED

Re: LOVE Oct 07, 2011
zonker wrote:Further translation from the quoted Rehman Baba's poetry:
"Each tree bears its own fruit; I have never seen a pomegranate growing in a lemon tree."! 8)

Have you been on the Chivas again Zonker? :drunken:
Bethsmum

Re: LOVE Oct 07, 2011
I derive my inspiration from the Spirits BM :D
zonker
BANNED

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat