Living In The Kitchen !!

Topic locked
Living in the Kitchen !! Jan 15, 2007
A domestic disturbance*

Kitchens in apartments or villas are being offered by greedy landlords as bedrooms for tenants, as the search for bed spaces in the city by bachelors has become an uphill task, Emirates Today has learned.

The practice of renting what have now been termed as “bed spaces” in Dubai is being blamed by residents for unjustifiable rent rises. And in many areas of the city, where bachelors share accommodation, kitchens are being transformed into bedrooms so those subletting the property can make more money.

“A bed in the kitchen. This was the most shocking thing I’ve come across in my life,” said Pramod, an Indian newcomer to Dubai. He was looking for a room, but had to settle for bed space.

“I got the telephone number from the classifieds of a newspaper. After waiting for the real estate representative for more than one hour in the street, I got the biggest shock of my life. He showed me the bed. And it was in a kitchen,” said Pramod.

He shouted at the real estate agent and asked him why he had not revealed the nature of the “incredible” rent offer in the newspaper and informed him that the bed was actually in the kitchen.

“What does this landlord think of people? Is this a human and healthy accommodation, I asked as I left the flat. Believe it or not, he was asking for Dh1,500 per month for a bed in a kitchen,” an angry Pramod said.

He urged the authorities to stop such practices. “Unfortunately this was the fault of the real estate agency and not the greedy principal tenant,” he said. “I am tired of looking for reasonable accommodation in Dubai,” he added.

George, another expatriate, complained that the rent market remains uncontrolled.

He was looking for a flat to lease after his previous landlord asked him to vacate the premises.

George inquired about a villa in Deira and the annual rent was Dh120,000.

But George was shocked at what the landlord showed him. “It was just a room in a villa”, George said.

“Are your asking Dh120,000 for a room?” he asked the landlord.

The answer he got from the landlord was more perplexing. He said the man told him it was up to him to sublet the villa for any amount.

“The landlord told me the room can take up to 16 bed spaces… and even more. He said I could make money out of it if I charged each tenant Dh1,500 per month,” he said.

George was appalled and refused the room. “I did not take the offer… what I need is a flat to live with my wife and children and not a room to sublet,” he added.

*Emirates Today (15/1/07)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
No Comment !

Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Jan 15, 2007
...Madness :shock:
iceman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 15, 2007
How does your dude run like that without moving his head? :shock:
bear
Dubai chat master

Jan 15, 2007
It's appalling behaviour and this is leading partly to the high cost of a Villa.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 15, 2007
this is psycotic...now i miss saudi!.....there i rented a 3 bedroom deluxe apartment ...tiled,semi furnished, air conditioned in a good location ..for 25k AED a year!!

they have to do something about the rent situation!
cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 15, 2007
My company (not for long since I resigned) has been growing so fast that they moved in 5 employees into the kitchen. They set up computers and desks for them in there. They even have several printers and 2 fax machines operating in that small space.
Shermin
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 17, 2007
Shermin wrote:My company (not for long since I resigned) has been growing so fast that they moved in 5 employees into the kitchen. They set up computers and desks for them in there. They even have several printers and 2 fax machines operating in that small space.

If the company is really "growing" then they should be able to rent a bigger space dont they?
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 17, 2007
Harry Potter lived in the cupboard under the stairs....he was lucky to be in his aunt's house :toothy7:
Francheska
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 17, 2007
Francheska wrote:Harry Potter lived in the cupboard under the stairs....he was lucky to be in his aunt's house :toothy7:

:lol: :lol:

seriously now...i find it outrageous. wtf??? sleeping in the kitchen :shock:
soon enough they will use the bathroom for the same reason :roll:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat