Live From Dubai's Labour Camps

Topic locked
Live from Dubai's labour camps Apr 16, 2009
This is a live inspection of the labor camps with Video by Arabian Business

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/552700-live-from-dubais-labour-camps

I just want to point out something... my dad works in the construction industry and he tells me many stories about the labor camps... all of what is mentioned in the above article is just true.

the labor camps conditions have improved significantly during the past two years...

he told me the major reason with the camps being dirty is the low hygiene practices the laborers practice... it is just extremely difficult to clean after them in many cases... thats why they have appointed personal advisers to train the laborers on the right hygiene methods

quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Apr 16, 2009
That is Great. Thanks quatroporte for the info.
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 16, 2009
The video of the labour camps doesn't work on the website.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 16, 2009
Of course there have been improvements in the last couple of years. Why? Because of pressure from foreign influences and because workers have been revolting about their pay and conditions in camps and on work sites. It was no revelation on the part of contractors etc. that maybe they are treating their workers like crap and should make changes by their own initiative.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Live from Dubai's labour camps Apr 16, 2009
quatroporte wrote:This is a live inspection of the labor camps with Video by Arabian Business

I just want to point out something... my dad works in the construction industry and he tells me many stories about the labor camps... all of what is mentioned in the above article is just true.

the labor camps conditions have improved significantly during the past two years...

he told me the major reason with the camps being dirty is the low hygiene practices the laborers practice... it is just extremely difficult to clean after them in many cases... thats why they have appointed personal advisers to train the laborers on the right hygiene methods

Good posting QP, once again it should be said that not all of the Construction Company Labour Camps are as bad as the negative press going about. But hey what's the point of stating it again.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 16, 2009
kanelli wrote:Of course there have been improvements in the last couple of years. Why? Because of pressure from foreign influences and because workers have been revolting about their pay and conditions in camps and on work sites. It was no revelation on the part of contractors etc. that maybe they are treating their workers like crap and should make changes by their own initiative.

The changes that came about wasn't under their own initiative, it was under pressure. If they had any regard for human beings (that were making them a ton of money) those conditions would not have existed in the first place. But I have to say, these laborers did need to be educated about hygiene, bodily and living. The fact that they came from remote villages where hygiene was not necessarily a part of life and dumping garbage where they lived was a part of life, had alot to do with the way they lived in the camps.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

sage & onion wrote:
quatroporte wrote:This is a live inspection of the labor camps with Video by Arabian Business

Good posting QP, once again it should be said that not all of the Construction Company Labour Camps are as bad as the negative press going about. But hey what's the point of stating it again.

Obviously didn't read the undertone of the reporter, be it on a positive note. Remember reading the thick smell of bleech ;) and the fly's still buzzing around ;)

Fly's don't come just because its a hot climate Mr. Onion. You know that 8)

Like I said earlier, they improve conditions from the moment it becomes an issue. Its progression...can't deny it. Glad the BBC did the Panorama reporting. This changed it for the better.

Arabtec is the one under scrutiny here. Thats why those new bunch of reporters came checking their camps. Thats why its all decent know and people have been appointed for sanitary education and security is in place to keep away the camera's of the crowdiest moments.

I see this as hypocritical BUT....its progress right?. :lol:
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Obviously didn't read the undertone of the reporter, be it on a positive note. Remember reading the thick smell of bleech ;) and the fly's still buzzing around ;)

Fly's don't come just because its a hot climate Mr. Onion. You know that 8)

Like I said earlier, they improve conditions from the moment it becomes an issue. Its progression...can't deny it. Glad the BBC did the Panorama reporting. This changed it for the better.

Arabtec is the one under scrutiny here. Thats why those new bunch of reporters came checking their camps. Thats why its all decent know and people have been appointed for sanitary education and security is in place to keep away the camera's of the crowdiest moments.

I see this as hypocritical BUT....its progress right?. :lol:

Flies will come wherever they can get food, it doesn't necessarily have to be dirty for flies to be around, believe me, unless you have lived with the "Dubai Flies", don't be so quick to judge.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 16, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
kanelli wrote:Of course there have been improvements in the last couple of years. Why? Because of pressure from foreign influences and because workers have been revolting about their pay and conditions in camps and on work sites. It was no revelation on the part of contractors etc. that maybe they are treating their workers like crap and should make changes by their own initiative.

The changes that came about wasn't under their own initiative, it was under pressure. If they had any regard for human beings (that were making them a ton of money) those conditions would not have existed in the first place. But I have to say, these laborers did need to be educated about hygiene, bodily and living. The fact that they came from remote villages where hygiene was not necessarily a part of life and dumping garbage where they lived was a part of life, had alot to do with the way they lived in the camps.

You need to re-read hun, I said it wasn't from their own initiative but pressure from workers and foreign influences who want to see better human rights. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 16, 2009
kanelli wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

You need to re-read hun, I said it wasn't from their own initiative but pressure from workers and foreign influences who want to see better human rights. :)

My bad. :(
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 16, 2009
No worries. I agree with what you say in your post.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Thanks for that, unfortunately many don't want to hear the truth if there are no scapegoats; that the workers are mostly to blame. They were scammed by their countrymen into coming here and not by UAE nationals? Not what they want to hear. Your Dad works with them and knows the truth about their poor hygene and the way they trash their accomodation? None of the Dubai bashers care, they will believe what they want and it's always going to be the worst ;)

It's been getting much better over the past couple of years (which is probably longer than many of these people have even heard of Dubai)? Well, even if the workers live in shiny apartments in the Burj next year these people will say it should have been done years ago and so it doesn't mean anything.

But thanks for the insight, appreciated ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
Come on Sage. The black flies in Holland or Senegal is not particularly different then the ones in Dubai.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-S ... LIES-1.htm

QUESTION: I have large slow black flies in my basement what are they from

ANSWER: Flies come from pupas, which come from maggots, which come from fly eggs. Perhaps you brought something into your basement that had fly eggs on it, that grew up. Or perhaps a fly got into your basement and laid eggs on something that flies consider food.

QUESTION: what do flies consider food?

ANSWER:
That depends on what kind of fly you have. Most common flies are "houseflies" which suck up their liquid food through a straw-like proboscis, which they use instead of a mouth.

Houseflies like garbage that has rotted, smells, and turns liquid. They also like rotting meat, animal feces, fruit, etc. They can't eat dried stuff because then they couldn't suck it up.

Do I need to say more?
RobbyG

Apr 16, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Come on Sage. The black flies in Holland or Senegal is not particularly different then the ones in Dubai.

ANSWER: Flies come from pupas, which come from maggots, which come from fly eggs. Perhaps you brought something into your basement that had fly eggs on it, that grew up. Or perhaps a fly got into your basement and laid eggs on something that flies consider food.

ANSWER:
That depends on what kind of fly you have. Most common flies are "houseflies" which suck up their liquid food through a straw-like proboscis, which they use instead of a mouth.

Houseflies like garbage that has rotted, smells, and turns liquid. They also like rotting meat, animal feces, fruit, etc. They can't eat dried stuff because then they couldn't suck it up.

Do I need to say more?

Sage, he doesnt know and he won't listen, give up. Let him come and sit by a five star pool one day and have the little bastards landing all over him as they do, will he think he didn't shower? :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
Hasn't it only been the past few years that labourers have been transported in buses instead of open trucks? Regular passenger buses do not have bars across the windows so that people can't escape if there has been an accident, so don't know why worker buses have bars. Also, why don't all buses have air conditioning so that these guys can get some relief after working in the heat all shift? Even the labour camps don't all have air conditioning. If everyone else in the UAE is enjoying AC, why not the labourers? How about a shuttle bus that takes workers from the camp to the shopping areas so that they don't have to walk long distances on the side of unlit roads at night to get to and from shopping and camps - risking being hit by cars. In the colder months, why aren't labourers issued some warm items of clothing by the companies e.g. wool socks, hats and gloves, so they don't feel so cold on morning or evening shifts. How about putting lavatories around residential areas for the gardeners and other workers to use so that they don't have to urinate and defecate behind electrical sheds or squat down in low spots near man-made lakes hoping not to be seen. Just a few ideas on how more can be done...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 16, 2009
'the past few years'.

So that's an improvement over the 'previous few years'?

I thought so :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
RobbyG wrote:Come on Sage. The black flies in Holland or Senegal is not particularly different then the ones in Dubai.

ANSWER:

Do I need to say more?

Sage, he doesnt know and he won't listen, give up. Let him come and sit by a five star pool one day and have the little bastards landing all over him as they do, will he think he didn't shower? :D

I listen allright. The thing is, that flies are everywhere around where people mingle with food and litter.

Beaches are full of them, because of the dead algy and sealife/food that washes ashore. I will not start about the Marina dump problem that might influence a larger group of flies on that beaches over there. Lets keep it general.

The point I make, is the flies mentioned by the reporter in the article. Thats was meant to be sarcastic by the reporter. Read it again. You'll understand my reasoning.

Every country/City has its flies. Its the amount that says something about conditions. Don't compare beaches with desert labour camps. Beaches are full of live and dead sealife washing ashore. Be it merely from dead algaes. That attracts them little buggers. ;)
RobbyG

Apr 16, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Speedhump wrote:

ANSWER:

Do I need to say more?

I listen allright. The thing is, that flies are everywhere around where people mingle with food and litter.

Beaches are full of them, because of the dead algy and sealife/food that washes ashore. I will not start about the Marina dump problem that might influence a larger group of flies on that beaches over there. Lets keep it general.

The point I make, is the flies mentioned by the reporter in the article. Thats was meant to be sarcastic by the reporter. Read it again. You'll understand my reasoning.

Every countries has its flies. Its the amount that says something about conditions. Don't compare beaches with desert labour camps. Beaches are full of live and dead sealife washing ashore. Be it merely from dead algaes.

I agree he mentioned the flies to taint his report with a bad taste. In fact you get many flies behind restaurants, etc, of course it doesn't immediately mean unsanitary conditions, but the reporter used it so.

In fact there has been a huge sewage problem on the Gulf coastline here, as well as a terrible algal bloom problem and tankers constantly discharging oily slops into the waters off the Arabian Sea coastline. I guess you must have read about them. Makes me wonder why anyone still wants to holiday here... :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
I'm looking for work, not holiday. 8)

If I want clean beaches I go to Oman if you don't mind me saying :lol:
Anyway, you now understand that fly's grow in numbers when there's more rotten crap around lying, just like after the removal of a great heap of turds in a :pottytrain5: compound and where water and waste is flowing after a nice shower of rain...

Those fly's don't come for a holiday over there. They are working also ;)
RobbyG

Apr 16, 2009
yes Oman for beaches and a more peaceful lifestyle, you got that right.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2009
Speedhump wrote:

ANSWER:

Do I need to say more?

For us that live in Dubai, we know all about the flies and how persistant they are, I wish I could send a few down the wire to RG so they could annoy the hell out of him :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 17, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Speedhump wrote:

ANSWER:

Do I need to say more?

For us that live in Dubai, we know all about the flies and how persistant they are, I wish I could send a few down the wire to RG so they could annoy the hell out of him :lol: :lol: :lol:

No needs Sage, I have a couple of them (perhaps 10?) during summers. Unless I go to the beaches...explained in above posts...;)

You know what Sage!...crap out a turd on the sidewalk....enjoy it for an hour or so and see who runs warm for that piece of excrement. I think those persistant buggers will leave you alone for a week or two :lol: :wink:

Unless they found out you are the source of its food... ;)
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Speedhump wrote:

ANSWER:

Do I need to say more?

No needs Sage, I have a couple of them (perhaps 10?) during summers. Unless I go to the beaches...explained in above posts...;)

You know what Sage!...crap out a turd on the sidewalk....enjoy it for an hour or so and see who runs warm for that piece of excrement. I think those persistant buggers will leave you alone for a week or two :lol: :wink:

Unless they found out you are the source of its food... ;)

You simply have not experienced Dubai flies.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 17, 2009
as I said Sage, no listen. knows it all, all the way from Northern Europe...
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2009
Speedhump wrote:as I said Sage, no listen. knows it all, all the way from Northern Europe...

You know SH, I am beginning to think you are right :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 17, 2009
I get what you mean. Its the law of attraction. They like you guys better right? :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:I get what you mean. Its the law of attraction. They like you guys better right? :lol:

One day, you will visit and then you will understand
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 17, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:I get what you mean. Its the law of attraction. They like you guys better right? :lol:

One day, you will visit and then you will understand

Tell me just one thing Sage, cause this sounds really stupid of you to saym that a fly in Dubai is different from its habit than a European fly!

Explain it to me, like I explained you guys how flies are attracted by wet, rotten and decaying types of food and flesh.

I gave you the simple laws of attraction for that species and yet you through it away as me being 'a know it all'. Sorry if I got some facts straight.

What the deal here? Blinders on or different set of knowledge?

I'm all ears...
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
Look there are just a lot of flies here. Sit outside a cafe here just once, not on a beach, not by a lake, you'll see.

Come on RobbyG you have to be big enough to admit you haven't experienced it, I know it's tough for you, but your 101 science isn't worth the pile of crap you are talking about when you don't have the experience.

Labour camps...a lot of unwashed bodies (due to bad personal hygene as has been said)...a LOT of food being cooked every day...a lot of food waste created at night which won't be cleared probably until next morning.

Do you have any chance to understand what is being said mate? ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Look there are just a lot of flies here. Sit outside a cafe here just once, not on a beach, not by a lake, you'll see.

Come on RobbyG you have to be big enough to admit you haven't experienced it, I know it's tough for you, but your 101 science isn't worth the pile of crap you are talking about when you don't have the experience.

Labour camps...a lot of unwashed bodies (due to bad personal hygene as has been said)...a LOT of food being cooked every day...a lot of food waste created at night which won't be cleared probably until next morning.

Do you have any chance to understand what is being said mate? ;)

Well I guess the point is clear now. Thanks for your understanding Speedhump. Thats what I wanted to hear.

Hygiene is the problem
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat