Let This Be A Lesson To Us All

Topic locked
Apr 25, 2009
true, alcohol isn't even a factor in a lot of the road stupidity....

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 25, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Kid, sadly you never look at the big picture. People have the right to refuse tests as per their 'human rights'. Although if you have nothing to hide, then it really shouldn't be a problem.

, which is why many places allow people to have 2 pints or a couple of glasses of wine.

Plus zero tolerance limit, can be very very dangerous when it comes to other products. Many pharmacy products that you ingest contain alcohol - cough medicines and the like. So how would you like to be busted for treating a cold and cough - doesn't seem fair in those scenarios now does it.

There has to be a line, a grey area. If you have been out drinking the night before, then it is difficult to know when it is completely out your system.

Plus I'd hardly call a fender bender a danger to other people, jeez these little scraps happen every single day, they're not all causes by people drinking.

Again, take your blinkers off. If you don't drink good for you, and this post does not apply to you, so let those of us it does apply to discuss it.

(In many countries there is a drink drive limit, because scientifically speaking, alcohol does not affect a person until a certain point)
well daaa , how can they determine that certain point if you are disagreeing with the test they are giving and calling it against human rights ?

sorry but I don't give a rat as* about your human rights when it comes to my safety choc, not bcz you wana have FUN I should die in result.

now I don't know about Dubai but in AD they just past a law for the DUI ,in general if you had just a couple of drinks you walk away but if the alcohol in your blood is higher that what they sat then you pay'll 20,000 fine and walk away.

and yes ms alcoholic it does apply to me when I'm using the road you are DUI while using it.

speedhumps, yes I'm only talking in case you are driving under the influence of alcohol.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 25, 2009
Hello all. I think a lot of people think that a driving license is a given right to them, and not a privilege. A vehicle in the hands of a drunk is a weapon. They have to start the DUI numbers somewhere to be able to enforce it. We've all been there. Your friend did a stupid move. I'm willing to bet he learned a huge lesson the hard way and not do it again. If he gets a public flogging please give me the channel and time please. Our system here is far to soft on the criminals. lol

canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 25, 2009
uaekid wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Kid, sadly you never look at the big picture. People have the right to refuse tests as per their 'human rights'. Although if you have nothing to hide, then it really shouldn't be a problem.

, which is why many places allow people to have 2 pints or a couple of glasses of wine.

Plus zero tolerance limit, can be very very dangerous when it comes to other products. Many pharmacy products that you ingest contain alcohol - cough medicines and the like. So how would you like to be busted for treating a cold and cough - doesn't seem fair in those scenarios now does it.

There has to be a line, a grey area. If you have been out drinking the night before, then it is difficult to know when it is completely out your system.

Plus I'd hardly call a fender bender a danger to other people, jeez these little scraps happen every single day, they're not all causes by people drinking.

Again, take your blinkers off. If you don't drink good for you, and this post does not apply to you, so let those of us it does apply to discuss it.

(In many countries there is a drink drive limit, because scientifically speaking, alcohol does not affect a person until a certain point)
well daaa , how can they determine that certain point if you are disagreeing with the test they are giving and calling it against human rights ?

sorry but I don't give a rat as* about your human rights when it comes to my safety choc, not bcz you wana have FUN I should die in result.

now I don't know about Dubai but in AD they just past a law for the DUI ,in general if you had just a couple of drinks you walk away but if the alcohol in your blood is higher that what they sat then you pay'll 20,000 fine and walk away.

and yes ms alcoholic it does apply to me when I'm using the road you are DUI while using it.

speedhumps, yes I'm only talking in case you are driving under the influence of alcohol.

I agree that it is somehow wrong that people can shout 'human rights' and refuse to give not only a blood sample but also a urine sample or even can refuse to use a breath test kit. That only leaves prosecution trying to prove that someone was drunk just by the evidence of the policeman who arrested him (he was swaying, his breath smelt of alcohol, etc). All stuff that a good defending attorney can try and pick holes in and get the guy to walk free.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 26, 2009
People still drink and get drunk and worse, they'll still be driving home.
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 26, 2009
Yeah, that's another good point. I wonder how many of you who are against even a very low blood alcohol level in a driver have taken all kinds of cold medicines or other prescription medicines that say "May cause drowsiness, don't operate moving vehicles" and then gotten into your cars to drive to work/school? How many have driven when extremely tired or sick? How many have driven when really angry? All of those things affect how people drive and can make them dangers on the road.

I'm not saying that this arrest shouldn't have been made, because the fact is that there is zero tolerance for alcohol in the blood here and there was a lack of judgment to drive even after a night of binge drinking. The whole situation is unfortunate.

I'm just trying to point out that there are other dangers that aren't policed enough and some people have strong attitudes against even a low blood alcohol level while ignoring other sources of danger or contributing to those themselves.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 26, 2009
WhiteJade wrote:People still drink and get drunk and worse, they'll still be driving home.

That's true but we have to try to reduce the number of people that do it by educating them, because as you say no matter what the penalties there are, some people will still do it.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 26, 2009
Proper education and enforcement will go a long way towards making our roads safer. Unfortunately, there's very little education since alcohol is borderline taboo in the UAE and enforcement is hit-or-miss. Even with this zero tolerance law, the worst offenders are still causing havoc on our roads.

Oh and I think people are getting too hung up on the "human rights" issue. I don't mean to say that I think our human rights are being repressed by requiring alcohol level tests; driving is a privilege, not a right. I just think that it's important to know what we can and cannot do if one of us finds ourselves in this situation. Like I said, not everyone who is accused of drunk driving is actually guilty of it.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 26, 2009
Human rights have nothing to do with it.

You want to drink - Don't drive its as simple as that.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat