Katie Price Slams Stay-at-home Mums.

Topic locked
Katie Price Slams Stay-at-home Mums. Oct 13, 2011
Katie Price isn't everybody's cup of tea. She makes me cringe sometimes but I've always admired what she has achieved. She appears to be devoted to her kids, especially Harvey, who has loads of problems.

She was invited to talk to students at Oxford University where she slated stay at home mums.

I have to agree that where it's possible women should contribute to the household income and not leave the burden of providing for the family to the men folk. After all, we live in the 21st centuary.

Katie Price has told Oxford University students no-one has an excuse not to try to earn a living.

During a question and answer session at the institution's union, the glamour model-turned-businesswoman said: "There's no excuse for people to just get pregnant and stay at home. I come from a family that has had to work to earn a living.

"It doesn't matter if you're a single mum or you have financial stuff, I believe that if you really want to do something and put your mind to it, it's feasible, but you really have to be realistic.

"That's how I've lived my life. The more people say 'you can't do that', the more I say: 'Well watch me.'"

Price, who shot to fame as Jordan in the late 90s, was invited to the Oxford Union to give a talk on her life and colourful career.

http://news.aol.co.uk/uk-news/story/no- ... k1%7C81307

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Katie Price Slams Stay-at-home Mums. Oct 13, 2011
In Dubai it is all too easy for mothers to leave the upbringing children in the hands of a cheap housemaid, and mothers who stay at home to give their children a decent upbringing deserve more respect imo.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Katie Price Slams Stay-at-home Mums. Oct 13, 2011
benwj wrote:In Dubai it is all too easy for mothers to leave the upbringing children in the hands of a cheap housemaid, and mothers who stay at home to give their children a decent upbringing deserve more respect imo.

I would venture to say that at least 3/4 of the women in Dubai are stay at home moms - and have housemaids to look after their children!!!

In western countries, in most cases in a two parent family, it is very hard to provide for the needs of children, especially when it comes to higher education, and a second income is almost mandatory. The difference is that the young ones go to reliable daycare centers or school. Most schools have after school programs as so many mothers work and this allows children to study and interact.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Katie Price Slams Stay-at-home Mums. Oct 14, 2011
There is definately a difference between Ladies of Leisure, who stay at home and employ a slave, to women who have to juggle work and child care to try to contribute to the household income.

In this day and age it is almost impossible to raise a family on a single income.

Personally it would do my head in to be stuck at home pretending to be a Stay At Home Mom.

I hate house work and don't see the attraction of spending all day on the internet on random forums making out I'm something special. Much more beneficial to go out and earn a living IMO! :D
Bethsmum

Kanelli should be logging in shortly BM :lol:

The govt should make it easier for a parent to stay at home full time at least until the child is at pre-school.
At the moment the only mothers at home are the ones on welfare.
benwj

Bethsmum wrote:There is definately a difference between Ladies of Leisure, who stay at home and employ a slave, to women who have to juggle work and child care to try to contribute to the household income.

In this day and age it is almost impossible to raise a family on a single income.

Personally it would do my head in to be stuck at home pretending to be a Stay At Home Mom.

I hate house work and don't see the attraction of spending all day on the internet on random forums making out I'm something special. Much more beneficial to go out and earn a living IMO! :D

As soon as the thread was posted I could see the wind up coming, and ta da! La piece de resistance!

So predictable. *yawn*
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Oh lighten up BM!

Oh lighten up Kanelli!

-- Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:31 am --

benwj wrote:Kanelli should be logging in shortly BM :lol:

The govt should make it easier for a parent to stay at home full time at least until the child is at pre-school.
At the moment the only mothers at home are the ones on welfare.

What age do you call pre school ben, about 5? My employer allows women up to one years maternity leave. I can't remember the wage it pays during that time. I think it's 90% for the first couple of months then it decreases untill you end up with maternity pay plus £100 a week. Something like that anyway.
I think the Civil Service allows women to take a 5 year career break but you are not guarenteed to get your old job back, they just have to offer you something.

Women who have a career don't always want to take a break for more than a year. The employer also doesn't want to lose a valuable employee.
I wouldn't have wanted to give my career up just because I had a child. Beth went to a very nice nursery and I worked, mostly to pay the nursery fees but I felt it was an investment in both our futures.

PS. Who mentioned Kanelli? :lol:
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:What age do you call pre school ben, about 5? My employer allows women up to one years maternity leave. I can't remember the wage it pays during that time. I think it's 90% for the first couple of months then it decreases untill you end up with maternity pay plus £100 a week. Something like that anyway.
I think the Civil Service allows women to take a 5 year career break but you are not guarenteed to get your old job back, they just have to offer you something.

Women who have a career don't always want to take a break for more than a year. The employer also doesn't want to lose a valuable employee.
I wouldn't have wanted to give my career up just because I had a child. Beth went to a very nice nursery and I worked, mostly to pay the nursery fees but I felt it was an investment in both our futures.

Between 3 & 4 yo. By then they should want to go to school anyway.
Under 2 they don't fully understand what is happening and are still shitting their pants.
You wiill say that Beth turned out fine, but what about your other daughter who obviously craves male domiance and is insecure. She might have turned out differently if you had stayed at home for longer.
benwj

benwj wrote:Between 3 & 4 yo. By then they should want to go to school anyway.
Under 2 they don't fully understand what is happening and are still shitting their pants.
You wiill say that Beth turned out fine, but what about your other daughter who obviously craves male domiance and is insecure. She might have turned out differently if you had stayed at home for longer.

I have two other daughters besides Beth, ben, so I'm not sure which one you are refering to.

The eldest one has been very happily married to her husband for 5 years and is on a well earned holiday to that very nice hotel in the dessert in Abu Dhabi. It's her birthday today and she phoned me earlier. She was having a glass of wine while her husband went mountain biking at dusk. They are loving the place although it is very expensive.

My middle daughter is a bit of a write off really, through no fault of her own, as she was very ill. She was a normal girl till her illness.

Neither of them was insecure and neither craved male dominance, but they attracted a lot of male attention.

When my two younger daughters were born, I didn't work as there was nothing available. The elder was born in Cyprus and army wives didn't work in those days. We moved on to Germany, were the second one was born 18 months later. It was a while before I was able to get a job.

So I've done my time as a stay at home mum aswell and I have to say it was mind blowingly bloody boring.

As for how the kids turned out, well, I love them all but if I'm honest, Beth has been the easiest by a mile.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat