Illegal In Dubai But....

Topic locked
Illegal in Dubai but.... Aug 07, 2006
Name one!

1. Car Lift - In Dubai its illegal, but you can find it in the newspapers!!! :lol:

zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 07, 2006
Actaully there we've had some recent threads about:
1) Holding passports - illegal, but still done by the government.
2) Prostitution - no particularly hard to find here
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 07, 2006
double parking

counterfeit items
(I've seen counterfeit shoes being sold in a mall, not in the street, but an established mall, hhmmm.)

subletting? (I'm not sure how illegal it is in Dubai, but it's illegal per the terms of many housing buildings).
freza
Dubai chat master

Aug 07, 2006
freza wrote: subletting? (I'm not sure how illegal it is in Dubai, but it's illegal per the terms of many housing buildings).

you may be confusing "illegal" with "in breach" of agreement (the lease)
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 07, 2006
freza wrote:counterfeit items

Are they really illegal? "Copy watch, copy watch"
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 07, 2006
Devote Muslims in the pub drinking beer with local attire on!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 07, 2006
How genuine is the stuff sold from the Pierre Cardin Shops?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 07, 2006
Sage

The ones in Battuta and Mall of the Emirates are genuine, and not bad stuff/quality i have to say.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 07, 2006
arniegang wrote:Sage

The ones in Battuta and Mall of the Emirates are genuine, and not bad stuff/quality i have to say.

Arnie,

How can they possibly sell for those prices (10% Europe) and be genuine?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 07, 2006
sage & onion wrote:Arnie,

How can they possibly sell for those prices (10% Europe) and be genuine?

Public image - people aren't willing to pay those prices for PC or DH here.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 07, 2006
I mean no offence Sage

But PC is not really an image/label that carries any credabilitity when it comes to either "the name" or the "style".

They overprice it to match Boss, Ralph Laren etc then give the illusion you are getting a bargin by slashing prices by 70%.

Its just a marketing exercise to make you think you are gettin "named" clothes at a bargin price, when in reality you are paying for a average name and paying the true average price.
arniegang

Aug 07, 2006
arniegang wrote:They overprice it to match Boss, Ralph Laren etc then give the illusion you are getting a bargin by slashing prices by 70%.

Yes, I wonder if the "This week 70% off!" signs ever fade and need to be replaced."
^ian^

Aug 07, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Yes, I wonder if the "This week 70% off!" signs ever fade and need to be replaced."

New signs weekly ensures no false advertising.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 07, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:New signs weekly ensures no false advertising.

False advertising laws in Dubai?

Riiigghht. Tricksters aside, I think you can just about say anything here.

Perhaps this should be added to the list.
^ian^

Aug 07, 2006
beggars
street vendors
freza
Dubai chat master

Aug 07, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
arniegang wrote:They overprice it to match Boss, Ralph Laren etc then give the illusion you are getting a bargin by slashing prices by 70%.

Yes, I wonder if the "This week 70% off!" signs ever fade and need to be replaced."

I went into one on Maktoum street, and in addition to the 70% the offered me the "Just for you" discount. I always get a kick out of that
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 07, 2006
arniegang wrote:I mean no offence Sage

But PC is not really an image/label that carries any credabilitity when it comes to either "the name" or the "style".

They overprice it to match Boss, Ralph Laren etc then give the illusion you are getting a bargin by slashing prices by 70%.

Its just a marketing exercise to make you think you are gettin "named" clothes at a bargin price, when in reality you are paying for a average name and paying the true average price.

Arnie,

I understand the marketing ploy totally, the point I am making is that this brand is extremely expensive in Europe and I am not sure it is genuine. I am used to see 100% mark up over Europe here in the shops (M & S for instance) however 10% of the European price is not normal.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 08, 2006
Residence visa should also be on this list.
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 08, 2006
sage & onion wrote:

Arnie,

I understand the marketing ploy totally, the point I am making is that this brand is extremely expensive in Europe and I am not sure it is genuine. I am used to see 100% mark up over Europe here in the shops (M & S for instance) however 10% of the European price is not normal.

Sage

PC brand is not expensive, even in the UK mate. No one buys it, so they give it away here too.
arniegang

Aug 08, 2006
arniegang wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Arnie,

Sage

PC brand is not expensive, even in the UK mate. No one buys it, so they give it away here too.

OK m8 thanks
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat