How Is My Driving???

Topic locked
How is my driving??? Jan 26, 2011
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emirati- ... 76434.html

More than a quarter of young Emirati males admit to reckless driving behaviours such as speeding, tailgating and illegally overtaking other drivers, a survey has revealed.

A poll of 466 Emirati men aged between 18-33 showed more than half don’t wear a seatbelt, talk on their mobile phone while driving and drive the wrong way down one-way streets.

Around 2.6 percent admit to consistently jumping red lights, the survey by 98 students at UAE University’s College of Humanities and Social Sciences said, in a report posted on state-run news agency WAM.

A minority admitted they are strongly tempted to overtake if their car is fancier than the vehicle in front, while 16 percent said they will overtake if the driver in front is an expatriate or from another emirate.

Open link to read the entire article.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: How is my driving??? Jan 26, 2011
The quotes that got me:

“Tailgating – approaching cars at high speed, flashing lights to budge cars out the way – is seen as respected behaviour among many Emirati young males, as is obtaining reductions in traffic fines,” the report said.

By contrast, abiding by traffic laws is seen as “unmanly or cowardly” and a characteristic of an unskilled driver, the poll showed."

And they wonder why people have zero respect for them!

People who drive like that should be locked up.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:The quotes that got me:

“Tailgating – approaching cars at high speed, flashing lights to budge cars out the way – is seen as respected behaviour among many Emirati young males, as is obtaining reductions in traffic fines,” the report said.

By contrast, abiding by traffic laws is seen as “unmanly or cowardly” and a characteristic of an unskilled driver, the poll showed."

And they wonder why people have zero respect for them!

People who drive like that should be locked up.

Anywhere else (outside the GCC?) they would be locked up.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

This is why I believe that all new drivers should be restricted in their car and engine size, let them feel how it is to be bullied about on the roads! And also taken to meet victims of crashes.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:This is why I believe that all new drivers should be restricted in their car and engine size, let them feel how it is to be bullied about on the roads! And also taken to meet victims of crashes.

Good thinking!

Smart cars all round for the smart @rses. I agree.
waynekerr
Dubai Forum User

Re: How Is My Driving??? Jan 26, 2011
Not as deadly as high speed crashes in Dubai because of that kind of uneducated and macho behaviour, but in Singapore they don't like to use their indicators because they don't want to let others know where they will move their car or the other person will speed up to block them! So very logical :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: How Is My Driving??? Jan 26, 2011
kanelli wrote:Not as deadly as high speed crashes in Dubai because of that kind of uneducated and macho behaviour, but in Singapore they don't like to use their indicators because they don't want to let others know where they will move their car or the other person will speed up to block them! So very logical :D

Sounds like a habit they have learnt from the UAE.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

It really is about time the UAE employed a multi-national police force to kick some of these morons into place.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: How is my driving??? Jan 27, 2011
Indicators: Optional - unless driving in fog or rain. In which case its put all 4 flashers on in the belief they are like the deflector shields on the starship Enterprise.

I am toying with the idea of inventing a little flip up sign for the back window of Thunderbird 2, operated by pulling a little string, for those moments when someone is too close and flashing their lights when I am doing 120 kmph in the fast lane.

Can anyone give me the Arabic translation for 'D*ckhead!'?

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dubai Knight wrote:Can anyone give me the Arabic translation for 'D*ckhead!'?

Knight

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: How Is My Driving??? Jan 27, 2011
When I get a "flasher" behind me, I slow down and do a reverse flash. I only wish my hazard lights were brighter!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: How Is My Driving??? Jan 27, 2011
I remember when I was in Dubai some years ago, I was trying out my new Mercedes on the Dubai /Fujairah road, and there was this Land Cruiser in the fast lane. I must have been going very fast, and flashed my lights at him (role reversed for once) and he got very fast out of my way. As I whizzed past him he must have noticed that I was not a "rag-head" like him. I could see in my mirror the effect this had on him by a lot of flapping of his head gear, honking, and then he tried to chase me, all to no avail as I saw him receding rapidly in my mirror...lights still flashing...very funny! :lol:
zonker
BANNED

I'm tempted to put a massive spotlight on the inside of my rear window, to blind the morons when they come up behind me.

Turn the rear wiper so it faces backwards and give them a spray.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Although our cars are "tanks" - safety wise, they are rigged just in case of "flashing". There is a simple switch that is pushed by the driver so that the break lights light up as though breaks have been slammed whilst the car is not breaking at all. The fool behind typically needs a change of underwear after the first "close call" :lol: . I've not seen it happen as when I am in the car - we follow speed limits :wink: *just for the HTT amongst us* Don't ask me how the "rigging" is done - would not know in a million years.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: How is my driving??? Jan 30, 2011
"More than a quarter of young Emirati males admit to reckless driving behaviours such as speeding, tailgating and illegally overtaking other drivers..." the rest just lied about not doing it.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Re: How is my driving??? Jan 30, 2011
Dr Strangeglove wrote:"More than a quarter of young Emirati males admit to reckless driving behaviours such as speeding, tailgating and illegally overtaking other drivers..." the rest just lied about not doing it.

RAOTFLMAO!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: How Is My Driving??? Jan 31, 2011
Ane xpected response to the survey:

You have to know that most road users..which i guess it 90% of all road users are expats.
I am a local and i drive fast and ride with people who drive fast. If you have a good car with good brakes there is no reason to drive 80 in a four lane road. The only problems i face is another driver almost always an expat driving 60 on the left lane( fast lane) and i flash him to let me pass and it takes him ages to go back or hesitates and lets me brake hard. But when im driving normaly at around 120-140 i dont even have to flash my lights if its a local, he just moves to the right lane than stays there because he knows people speed here. For me, a local, and all of my friends who i told about this article are furious to know that other people not from this country are complaining about us locals speeding and wants the government to raise the fines. I know people who already have 40k+ fines in a year. And people getting there cars impounded. Don't forget that we complain about you guys too.

-- Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 pm --

That said I agree that a limit of 80 kph on a wide 4 lane road is ridiculous....
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: How Is My Driving??? Jan 31, 2011
BlackburnRovers wrote:an expat driving 60 on the left lane( fast lane) and i flash him to let me pass and it takes him ages to go back or hesitates and lets me brake hard.

Safedriving while on talking on his mobile or texting. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: How is my driving??? Feb 01, 2011
What a tool. Seriously they just don't get it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat