How To Ask For Your Money Without Feeling Awkward.

Topic locked
How to ask for your money without feeling awkward. Mar 12, 2012
I've recently enrolled in a gym for 250 AED per month. The lady at the reception didn't have change and told me that next time I attend she'll give me my 50 bucks back, I told her its cool.

Well next time I went, she said she still hasn't got change and that the time after that when I come in she'll have it ready, to which I smiled and told her its cool, again.

So today I went for another workout, and she saw me and smiled at me, and didn't even mention anything about it. I don't think she forgot.

Now 50 bucks isn't a big amount, but the point is, I've felt equally as awkward previously approaching someone to ask them for money which I was entitled for. At one instance it was over 1K of overtime pay at work.

Do you feel awkward asking for your money? If I were dealing with westerners/non-arabs I don't think I'd be as restrained, but Arabs always give off that awkward vibe when its a monetary-related thing.

It reached a point where one or two colleagues of mine noticed this, and started taking advantage. Where we'd go out for lunch or movies or something, and they'd (ALWAYS) be like "Oh sorry, I forgot my wallet, pay for my shit and I'll pay you back later" - Which they never do. And I honestly can't give them the benefit of doubt and say maybe they forgot, because when I owe someone any amount of money, big or small, I always remember and try to pay back ASAP.

On a side note, worst thing you could ever do in a country like this is borrow money from someone, anyone. Even the bank lol.

So any thoughts? What are some lines or phrases that you could use or do use when approaching someone regarding your pay or money that they borrowed from you?

And do you think it has anything to do with the Arab culture, which puts sort of a stigma on asking for your change back?

PARANOID
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat