Help, Iftar With VIP's

Topic locked
Help, Iftar with VIP's Sep 25, 2006
Folks, normally VIP's, and I mean, VIP's do not faze me in the least. However I do not want to be either culturally or religously insensitity. Two separate VIP's have asked me to come along for Iftar. One at the family gathering (which really surprised me) and the other simply an invitation (at a family or a "public" place, I do not know). I am flattered to be invited by them but here are the dilemas/questions:

1. I'm I supposed to bring anything? If so, what?
2. How should I dress? For those who have not met me I am male and "western".
3. Should I excuse myself at some "appropriate" time or...\
4. Should I thank the person who invited me or the whole group or make no big deal about it?
5. Should I show up just in time, some time before or sometime after?

P.S. the same questions apply to non-vip's (by the way, the term vip means nothing to me but I would not name names, tittles or affiliations).

Thanks in advance as I have time to "prepare".

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 25, 2006
From what I understand you need not bring anything, it would be polite to arrive about 15 minutes before maghreb prayer, and as these things go on for hours sometimes (post iftar sheesha etc) I would say just go with the flow. Some people will excuse themselves to pray Maghreb, you can just stick around. Around Taraweeh time (depending on how religious your VIPs are) you can prepare to head off as everyone may want to attend the prayer at a mosque. Isha/Taraweeh is around 8. If people are not heading off for Isha then this could go on till the wee hours.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 25, 2006
PrettyPenny wrote:From what I understand you need not bring anything, it would be polite to arrive about 15 minutes before maghreb prayer, and as these things go on for hours sometimes (post iftar sheesha etc) I would say just go with the flow. Some people will excuse themselves to pray Maghreb, you can just stick around. Around Taraweeh time (depending on how religious your VIPs are) you can prepare to head off as everyone may want to attend the prayer at a mosque. Isha/Taraweeh is around 8. If people are not heading off for Isha then this could go on till the wee hours.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Thats another set of questions as I had not considered prayer time :shock: :shock: :shock:

I really need help.

P.S. Thanks PP.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 26, 2006
pm
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 26, 2006
Concord i am flattered that you consider me a VIP. Dont worry about bringing anything with you .. see you soon.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 26, 2006
MaaaD wrote:Concord i am flattered that you consider me a VIP. Dont worry about bringing anything with you .. see you soon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mi Ange mi Demon
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 26, 2006
Mi Ange mi Demon wrote:
MaaaD wrote:Concord i am flattered that you consider me a VIP. Dont worry about bringing anything with you .. see you soon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He really is :shock:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat