Google Maps Gets More Human

Topic locked
Google Maps Gets More Human Dec 20, 2009
You'd think it was odd if you called me for directions and I told you to go 0.2 miles southeast and make a slight right onto Old Route 17.

You'd expect me to say something more like, "Start driving away from the library and take the second right just after the McDonald's." Google Maps India has just launched a hybridized version of directions that give geographically accurate distances and directions as well as landmarks most humans would also recognize.

We can imagine this coming to the rural U.S. and Google telling us to "follow that-there little jog in the road where the big oak tree used to be before Jimmy Ray hit it with his daddy's combine, bless his heart, for 2.3 miles."

mahmoodb
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Google Maps Gets More Human Dec 20, 2009
Google maps are great but the talking GPS devices sure make it easy for a person to navigate. I think in a city they would pay for themselves in a year with the gas savings. I had to chuckle the other day in Vancouver when it stated "make an "illegal uturn" when we had computed some new cordinates into it. I wonder how many people could navigate by the stars like our fore fathers?
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat