So I'm Going On EU

Topic locked
So I'm going on EU Aug 28, 2009
yes... UAEkid is going on Sep, my plan is to arrive in Munich hang out there for 3 nights then rent a car and drives to Vienna -Austria for 3 nights then Budapest -Hungary 3 night then then Bratislava Slovakia 3nights then Prague Czech republic then back to Berlin Germany and fly back home.

well this is my plan, I don't know if I'll be able to pull it as planed but looking on the internet it seems easy driving and finding your way in and out using the GPS I'll get from the car rental office.

any tips ?

uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 28, 2009
Hmmm don't drink the water? Also do not forget to take your bath tub friends.

canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 28, 2009
From Munich take the A8 (i think) towards Salzburg. Just after the Chiemsee (a big lake), take a right and head off down the "Deutschen Alpen Strasse" (german Alp road) towards Bad Reichenhall/Berchtesgaden. It's a nice drive that gently takes you into the Alps, and some stunning scenery. Look on a map - it's the funny little but of Germany that sticks out from the normal border line in the south east corner.

When you get to Berchtesgaden, you are in the heart of Adolf Hitler's second seat - he spent more time there during WWII than he did in Berlin. It really is an intersting place - lots of History there. And there is a huge mountain, set on it's own, called the Untersberg. You can go to the top in a cable car. Amazing views. You can also visit Hitler's little "Tea House", the famous Eagle's nest, on top of the Kehlstein mountain (hurry up...it will close for winter soon). Again, absolutely amazing views.

After that, just drive over the mountains and you're in Austria (very near Salzburg). I can't speak about Austria - never quite got that far! But Salzburg is meant to be nice. There are also old Salt mines in the area, and lots of caves, surrounding Salzburg and in the Untersberg.

Oh, and if you partake in such things, try the Beer! It's particularly good in the Munich area. Don't go for the international brands - try the proper local stuff!

I'm quite jealous - i plan to go there when i get a holiday from work here.

And if you can. learn a bit of German!
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 29, 2009
Oooooo Vienna is beautiful. GO and visit the Palace as it's stunning. Also if you can find a Plaucetta eatery and check out the boiled beef, it's a speciality and amazing.

Also if you have time in Austria, take a little road trip to the town of Marietzelle - it's absolutely stunning.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: So I'm going on EU Aug 29, 2009
uaekid wrote:yes... UAEkid is going on Sep, my plan is to arrive in Munich hang out there for 3 nights then rent a car and drives to Vienna -Austria for 3 nights then Budapest -Hungary 3 night then then Bratislava Slovakia 3nights then Prague Czech republic then back to Berlin Germany and fly back home.

well this is my plan, I don't know if I'll be able to pull it as planed but looking on the internet it seems easy driving and finding your way in and out using the GPS I'll get from the car rental office.

any tips ?

Great route but Bratislava dosn't worth a 3 days visit. Moreover the City is in a short distance to Viene, not Budapesht.

I would add some beatiful Suchen (Saxonia) Cities like Leipzig, Konigstein and Dresden (was totaly destroied by barbaric bombing of Allies during WWII :evil:) instead of Bratislava. They are all on your route.

Have a nice trip.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 29, 2009
thanks guys :)
uaekid

Aug 29, 2009
and beware of the speed cameras on the austrian high way.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 29, 2009
UAEkid is going on Sep, my plan is to arrive in Munich hang out there for 3 nights then rent a car and drives to Vienna -Austria for 3 nights then Budapest -Hungary 3 night then then Bratislava Slovakia 3nights then Prague Czech republic then back to Berlin Germany and fly back home.

That's a great trip. I worked in Budapest for three years and my head office was in Vienna. I had some great times in those cities. Three days is too much for Bratislava. There are many other places you can visit, Graz is 2 hours from Vienna with Zagreb a further 2 hours. Or Salzberg and Inzbruck are both both within easy driving distance from Vienna with the beautiful alps.

and Dresden (was totaly destroied by barbaric bombing of Allies during WWII Evil or Very Mad)

What goes around comes around. :roll:

Scratcher
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2009
Prague has some beautiful architecture if you ignore the disgusting grey slabs the Russians built when they invaded and occupied it. Unfortunately the Russians also let large parts of Prague's ancient buildings fall into terrible disrepair, much of it is slowly under renovation as money allows. Prague Castle is worth the trip alone.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2009
When u go to Berlin, make sure to visit the Reichstag and the Sony Center.
cRyotanK
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 30, 2009
take me with you :P
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Aug 30, 2009
I'd like to explain my remark about Dresden.
A lot of German Cities (mostly in West Germany) faced barbaric bombardment during WW2. So only a few building in those cities remained in the pre-war conditions.
10 years ago I visited some of them and discovered that the cities has been rebuilt with shiny polish but rather typical buildings. So there is no the mediaval attraction I like so much in old Europe.

I didn't visit Dresden but hope it was rebuilt more carefully. Anyway it's worth a visit due to Dresden Gallery only
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 04, 2009
jocoolguy wrote:internet romba slow....ethachum uthavi pannunka

Hey, I know you just arrived here, but these are English language forums. so...in English please. I see you are posting in foreign languages also in other threads here. You need to stop, thanks.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2009
in budapest take a walk in Buda side, go up to the castle (http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Eu ... -BR-1.html)

other daytime program: Margit sziget (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Island)

Szechenyi furdo-largest medical bath in europe (http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Eu ... -BR-1.html)

at night Raday utca is one good place to be (http://www.budapestagent.com/raday-utca-budapest.html)
raidah

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat