FUA GRA

Topic locked
May 03, 2006
fish is the way to go...though the wasteage of fish in the southeast asian countries is getting to be a serious drain on the worlds resources...fish is so much more healthier and personally for me tastier too....i actually think if i did quit meat i wouldnt miss it too much...partly bcoz i can cook great vegetarian dishes...and healthwise it could be benefitial to a larger degree in the longer run...but this was a very informative post in respect to the process and arguements put forward...thanks shafique and choc...

constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 03, 2006
fish is not cheap either!!!
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

May 03, 2006
Love seafood it's my favourite thing. I'd quite happily eat nothing but fish and veggies.

Having said that I've got a craving for a good old jacket spud with cheese and beans - mmmmmm!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 03, 2006
FeiPo wrote:I agree with Choco, if more people try to do the same as choco does then I think animals in the farms will be treated a lot better. But again, I am also trying to buy something better like free range eggs or organic stuff... but they often 10 times more expensive then the normal cruelty breed stuff. For me I don't think I want to pay 20 Dhs for 6 eggs compare to 5Dhs for 6 eggs. Also, orgainic apples cost 29 Dhs per kg, and normal full of chemical apples cost only 5.95dhs per kg. <----- a lot of different with prices.... for people like me I do want to support the healthy breeding farms and organic industries BUT I certainly cannot afford to pay this kind of $$ for my food.

That's what I mean about Dubia being a crappy place to try to eat mostly organic foods. You can still find organic products for close to regular product prices, but some are definitley out of reasonable price range. I will still buy some of those once in a while and cut back on something else. It isn't easy though. Hopefully if more people start buying organic the prices will come down in general because more farmers will switch to organic production because the demand will be high.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 03, 2006
Very true Kanelli, have you noticed that it all tastes alot better as well.

FeiPo I know it's very hard to economise and eat good stuff, why is it always more expensive to eat healthily, I sometimes really think that we're penalised for that.

Junk food is cheap to produce and cheap to buy, have you noticed that in many cases it's actually cheaper to eat out here, than to buy the food, prepapre the food, cook the food, by the time you've used all the resources it ends up being more expensive.

But K is right if everyone switched to the good stuff, it would be economically more viable for shops to provide these things.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 03, 2006
Well.... I would say good stuff will never be cheap.

A bit out out this topic. Bad business people will only find some new way to blind the customer. Say for example, how could long life soya milk fortified with calcium be Orgainic? I am not a expert, but it doesn't sound right to me, if you add calcium into the product, how can it be organic? I think we need more control on the word 'organic' used. By putting the word Organic they can sell it 5 times more than other stuff!!!
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

May 03, 2006
The soyabeans were organic - grown without genetic modification and without pesticides. That's what they mean by organic. I agree about false practices though. For example, calling a farm organic when it is located next to a farm that uses lots of pesticides. If the other farm drains into the organic farm, then basically the plants will still be affected by pesticides. The organic standards need to take such cases into consideration.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 04, 2006
I am a vegeterian. I asked for a friend of mine...
Larissa20
Dubai Forums Talker

May 04, 2006
Oh so that makes it alright then does it?! BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOO to your friend from me!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 04, 2006
Well, what's the difference between buying chicken, beef, lamb, veal or fois gras? All of the animals suffered.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 04, 2006
There's a big difference. Some suffer more than others. There's a difference to having lived at least some sort of free life, as opposed to never having been free, stuff in crates and force fed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 04, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:There's a big difference. Some suffer more than others. There's a difference to having lived at least some sort of free life, as opposed to never having been free, stuff in crates and force fed.

Like the poultry you eat.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 04, 2006
You don't get it Liban, you never got it, so don't bother. Iy obviously don't know what 'free range' means or the fact there is lack of choice in this country.

You don't even care about this stuff so I don't know why you even bother to comment.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 07, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:The next time you order your 'delicacy' think about this:

The ducks and geese force-fed for foie gras are compelled to consume much more high-energy food—mostly corn—than they would eat voluntarily. This damages their liver and often kills them.

The Scientific Committee on Animal Health and Welfare for the European Union found many examples of abuse as a result of force-feeding, including:

Birds are routinely confined to small cages or crowded pens.

Birds are force-fed tremendous amounts of feed via a 12- to 16-inch plastic or metal tube, which is shoved down their throats and attached to a pressurized pump.

The force-feeding may be performed twice daily for up to two weeks for ducks and three to four times daily, for up to 28 days for geese.

Force-feeding causes the liver to increase in size about 6-10 times compared to the normal size for a bird.

Increased liver size forces the abdomen to expand, which makes moving difficult and painful. An enlarged abdomen increases the risk of damage to the stretched tissue of the lower part of the esophagus.

Force-feeding results in accumulated scar tissue in the esophagus.

The liver can be easily damaged by even minor trauma.

Ducks and geese are social animals who suffer when confined in individual cages. The confinement also can lead to lesions of the sternum and bone fractures, as well as foot injuries from the cage floors. Ducks and geese also suffer when they're not allowed enough water to swim and preen, which they do naturally in the wild.

shut up :arrow: here is your taxi
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 07, 2006
No YOU shut up! I'm entitled to express my opinion ove cruel practices. The fact that you don't care or give a damn shiows what kind of person you are.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 07, 2006
I went to Ras Al Khaima last weekend and we had Foie Gras in the restauant called Hoof n Fish at Hilton. It was quite good. Food there was good and price are good too. For example a glass of house wine is only 18 Dhs.
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

May 07, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Veal, also horribly cruel in the way it's produced.

Chocco, sweetie, I don't think there are any commercially viable meats that are handled in a 'humane' way. Sad part of the $ driven world.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 07, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:For health reasons Liban

Considering thats the very same reason I haven't switched back I can totally understand where you're coming from.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 07, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:No YOU shut up! I'm entitled to express my opinion ove cruel practices. The fact that you don't care or give a damn shiows what kind of person you are.

i am a chef and couldnt give a toss its my job to cook the food.
Its the food chain who cares :?
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 07, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:No YOU shut up! I'm entitled to express my opinion ove cruel practices. The fact that you don't care or give a damn shiows what kind of person you are.

PLEASE!!
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 07, 2006
manners cost nothing :roll:
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 07, 2006
175bpm wrote:manners cost nothing :roll:

Though maybe thats more than what she is willing to spend... 8)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 07, 2006
175bpm wrote:manners cost nothing :roll:

Still too much for you to spend then? Considering ur initial contribution to the topic was "shut up".
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 07, 2006
Exactly what I was going to say X. Considering 175's inital post was hardly nice, why should I be the same back?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 08, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Exactly what I was going to say X. Considering 175's inital post was hardly nice, why should I be the same back?

because your a woman
175bpm
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 08, 2006
175bpm go stir some other pot - this one has enough spoons in it. :P
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 08, 2006
175bpm wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Exactly what I was going to say X. Considering 175's inital post was hardly nice, why should I be the same back?

because your a woman

Sorry love, you've got the wrong, girl. I'll speak nicely to someone who talks nicely to me.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 08, 2006
175bpm wrote:

because your a woman

Sorry love, you've got the wrong, girl. I'll speak nicely to someone who talks nicely to me.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 08, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
175bpm wrote:

because your a woman

Ignore him Chocs. Red meat eating, chest beating, testosterone driven bigots are all around you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 08, 2006
Where's my trusty bull whip 'back, back I say - down boys!'
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat