Foods/dishes...

Topic locked
Foods/dishes... Apr 02, 2008
The rice thread game an idea: There are people in the forum from all over the world so I was thinking what dish would they recommend (not a resptaurant by a dish) in say:

India
Bangladesh
Phillipines
Australia
America
Canada
Lebanese
UAE
China
Thailand
Malasia
Etc.
Etc.

It would be nice to know and then try somewhere (even in Dubai)...

p.s. Of course the UK is excluded ("bake beans" is not a dish; its vomit).

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2008
Greece - Yemestes. Stuffed Capsicums and tomatoes with Rice, mince, herbs, garlic, tomatoes and baked. mmm mmm
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2008
CANADA:

I think Canada is pretty void of any "National Dish" or cuisine, unless pizza, hot dogs and beer count. However, the French Canadians have a couple of dishes one is called Tourtière, the other is Poutine.

Tourtière is basically a deep-dish meat pie that is awesome unless some bonehead from the west makes it, then it is as dry as a popcorn fart. Poutine is basically french fries with cheese curd and gravy. Quite popular across the country.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Apr 02, 2008
Hungary (ha ha) - Beef Strogonoff with Rice
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2008
greece also has dolamties (however that is spelt)

i cant think of an aussie dish including rice, something to do with a kangaroo stew maybe...

egypt's got rice in many things, in the sweets department, mahalabeya and om ali... rice accompanies any other cooked dish as a side - but could be replaced with bread.

spain - paella dishes with seafood - a good paella is just AMAZING

there is a giant one being prepared.

both greece and egyptians love vine leaves stuffed with rice and minced meat - also if done well can prove quite deadly.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 02, 2008
Australia - Rice Bubbles and Coco-Pops.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 02, 2008
American: "Jambalaya" (in New Orleans - great stuff). Hard to describe http://southernfood.about.com/cs/jambal ... balaya.htm (I can't access wikipedia).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2008
^ian^ wrote:Australia - Rice Bubbles and Coco-Pops.

:lol: :lol:

china's got the sticky rice that they do in a giant banana leaf and leave it to cook till its completely mush - i was never game to try that, but my friend just smashes them for breakfast like it aint no thang....
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 02, 2008
ebonics wrote:spain - paella dishes with seafood - a good paella is just AMAZING

Also include the black paella.......drooling
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2008
my mouth is runny just thinking about spanish food and tapas... sigh...
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 02, 2008
In thailand it would be Pad Thai, Som yam, tom yum soup

In Pakistan it would be nehari, with nan...awesome...

While Kashmiris are good with the famous red kashmiri dish-roghan josh..delectable really :)
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2008
Iran has the most awsomest food called Kaleh Pacheh (means heads and legs). This meal contains of anything of the sheep you wouldn't dare to eat. containing legs, head (near the ears) brain, eyes, and some parts of the digesting organs.

for a visual understanding of this meal check this picture. (It's not cooked yet)

and here's a photo gallery of this lovely meal
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 02, 2008
we had pig's intestine stew with vegetables in tokyo - you cook it yourself in a small broth pot on your table over a miniture keg of sapporo..

sounds disgusting, but is so amazingly amazing... if someone's in tokyo and needs directions on how to get to the place that did it for us just hit me up.

together with that we had rice stuffed shitaki mushrooms - was probably the best mushroom dish i have ever had, im a huge mushroom fanatic.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 02, 2008
Asian especially chinese:
Fly Lice (fried rice)
Lice Dumpling (rice dumpling wrapped in leaves)
Pulut (a Malaysian black rice desert dish)
Lice Cake
Nasi Goreng
Tea and rice

If I know how to upload pictures, I coulda show you guys.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Apr 02, 2008
Also Taiwanese is popular with rice + pig's blood. You can find them anywhere on the street. :D
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Apr 02, 2008
Hollands broodje kroket....
mrs Robinson
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
mrs Robinson wrote:Hollands broodje kroket....

HELL YES!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Apr 02, 2008
Hungarian gulyas

sausages with mush/hominy (no idea if this is the english word for this food or its for something totally different, but this I what I found in the dictionary) and aged cabbage leaves as pickles

beef or deer with pasta and sweet carrot sauce

rice, pork and spices mixed together and stuffed in cabbage leaves.

for dessert spaghetti mixed with sweetened curd cheese, vanilla, raisin and baked in the oven with an egg cream and cinnamon crust.

yumm yumm
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 02, 2008
Korean Kimchi in all its varieties.....spicy....
Also their colorful rice cake Ddeok....

reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2008
India
Pulao, Biriyani,

South India
Plain Rice (White Rice)
Curd Rice

Hmm We have a 18+ course meal thats called as Sadya
Brown Rice + a number of dishes.

This is how it'll look like
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 02, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:India
Pulao, Biriyani,

South India
Plain Rice (White Rice)
Curd Rice

Yes now thats what I am talkin about with the banaa leaves. Ofcourse its a bit different!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
Unknown Devil wrote:
Pulao, Biriyani,

South India
Plain Rice (White Rice)
Curd Rice

Yes now thats what I am talkin about with the banaa leaves. Ofcourse its a bit different!!

UD.. I can relate to most of the things u say.. :)
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 02, 2008
For your taste buds..A Gods' own country(southern state of India, Kerala) delicacy - Karimeen pollichathu

St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 02, 2008
Try this:

Pig's blood stew. Food haram-ness at its peak. :twisted:
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Apr 02, 2008
Well Bangladesh's.. Hmm its the fishes though never asked how the cooking was done and in what way cuz I am busy eating but yeah. If your'e talking sweets then yes I can tell u one thing that each and every state in one kind speciallize in one kind of sweet. Not like they dont do other different kinds but to have something special. Like Dubai might make say apple flavooured sheesha good while Abu Dhabi would make mint sheesha good. So yeah each and every state has one kind of sweet they speicalize in and trust me if u dont like em then I suppose u aint human!! hehehehe

Speaking of which I was wondering like we someone take the initiave and we meet in the park or someones home and get different dishes from different countries and try it out. Maybe if it goes real well then we can actually have a bake sale or something and make money for Concords charity!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
Unknown Devil wrote:Well Bangladesh's.. Hmm its the fishes though never asked how the cooking was done and in what way cuz I am busy eating but yeah. If your'e talking sweets then yes I can tell u one thing that each and every state in one kind speciallize in one kind of sweet. Not like they dont do other different kinds but to have something special. Like Dubai might make say apple flavooured sheesha good while Abu Dhabi would make mint sheesha good. So yeah each and every state has one kind of sweet they speicalize in and trust me if u dont like em then I suppose u aint human!! hehehehe

Speaking of which I was wondering like we someone take the initiave and we meet in the park or someones home and get different dishes from different countries and try it out. Maybe if it goes real well then we can actually have a bake sale or something and make money for Concords charity!!

You mean, get the dishes from hotels? I'm all for it.. but if u are talkin abt cookin it.. Too few cooks n too many to eat. :P u are dealing with danger.. 've seen some of our dear friends having to order truck loads of bread, cheese n chicken. :P not to mention abt liquids..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 02, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:
Unknown Devil wrote:
Pulao, Biriyani,

South India
Plain Rice (White Rice)
Curd Rice

UD.. I can relate to most of the things u say.. :)

hehe defintely!! we both are related to the devil hehehehe!! just kidding!! Too bad u dont find the same thing in Dubai. I mean u can get the same thing in the restaurants and all but not as the same taste as what u would get right in the villages but yeah one thing I totally hate. Specially when u guys use for every food Coconut. I mean sheeeeeeeeeesh. I know a Bounty bar but not each and everything. Well maybe not each and everything but mostly!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:
Unknown Devil wrote:Well Bangladesh's.. Hmm its the fishes though never asked how the cooking was done and in what way cuz I am busy eating but yeah. If your'e talking sweets then yes I can tell u one thing that each and every state in one kind speciallize in one kind of sweet. Not like they dont do other different kinds but to have something special. Like Dubai might make say apple flavooured sheesha good while Abu Dhabi would make mint sheesha good. So yeah each and every state has one kind of sweet they speicalize in and trust me if u dont like em then I suppose u aint human!! hehehehe

You mean, get the dishes from hotels? I'm all for it.. but if u are talkin abt cookin it.. Too few cooks n too many to eat. :P u are dealing with danger.. 've seen some of our dear friends having to order truck loads of bread, cheese n chicken. :P not to mention abt liquids..

Well who ever can get by cooking do that and whoever wants to get it from hotels do that. Hehe u dont need to get anything just get the BOOZE!! specially jd and coke!! hehehehe
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
Philippine Dishes (my faves)

1. Kare-kare
Image beef tripe and tail in peanut sauce

beef tripe and tail in peanut sauce with bagoong (shrimp paste) on the side
Ragdoll
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 02, 2008
2. Bulalo - ox tail with veggies

Image 3. kaldereta (beef)