Food Thread

Topic locked
Re: Food Thread Jun 01, 2011
The fek you got 6 tubs of it if you have no clue what to do with it ! LOL

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Tea and scones in the afternoon of course but you need double the size of dollop of cream that's in the photo!

Scones with jam and clotted cream.jpg
Fruit scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Interesting, Dillon. Looks tasty enough, though. I think it is the name that is doing my head in. It does sound pretty gross, IMHO. Is it sweet? Any flavour at all?

DDS, it was in a food hamper. You donate AUD $30 to the homeless via the community centre twice a week, and you get a "box of food". It is a crapshoot what you get, and most is not great, as it is at or near expiry, but it is the charity that counts. I reckon we just about break even and can give back to the community at the same time. The local markets and supermarkets donate the goods.

This week we got 8 corn-on-the-cob, about 10 Kiwi Fruit, 2 mangos, a bag of potatoes, a bag of onions, 2 (best I've seen in my life) heads of lettuce, 2 boxes of crackers, a bag of cookies, a bunch of asian veggies, soap, laundry soap, 6 cans of soup, etc. The point is that they are "giving you something" for your donation. What is weird, is that you cannot give back what you know you won't use. (like 6 tubs of clotted cream)....and 3.2 kg of shredded pineapple!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Actually I can just about eat any type of cheese except those cured smelly ones. So i'd be game for clotted cheese, nothing a good khuboos sandwhich can't solve
desertdudeshj

dubaidog wrote:Interesting, Dillon. Looks tasty enough, though. I think it is the name that is doing my head in. It does sound pretty gross, IMHO. Is it sweet? Any flavour at all?

Clotted cream is simply a double cream cooked over a bain marie until it has reduced by half, it forms a crust which is then folded into the cream, the taste as one would expect is of a concentrated textured cream, you can sweeten it further but the jam on the scones should provide enough sweetener, I like to mix a little vanilla with it.
Dillon

Food related.

I went to a fish restaurant tonight. Egyptian 100%. The food was the best Egyptian I have had in Dubai. Mahmoud, you would love it!!!

It's called Ibn Hamido and is located in Al Barsha on the slip road opposite the DG Sharaf train station. You pick out your fish and it's cooked to order. I had my fish grilled, split with Egyptian seasoning and hubby had the blackened fish. Soup was delish. The food is very fresh and clean.

If you make your way past the restaurant (there is a dry cleaning store next to it) take a right and follow the road (staying to the right) to bring you behind the slip road. There is an open lot which you can walk across to the slip road the the restaurant is to the right.

I highly recommend it and will definitely be going back again (and again and again).
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

getting hungry hearing that BB, and its just the right time for it I guess, will try to visit it tomorrow,
I actually keep on discovering sea food places :D , found one as well in Ajman (far but great as well), and there are good ones in Sharjah too...

talking about fishes, my friend fished 3 baby sharks (from the palm :s ), didn't know there could be sharks that close...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Food Thread Jun 02, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:Food related.

I went to a fish restaurant tonight. Egyptian 100%. The food was the best Egyptian I have had in Dubai. Mahmoud, you would love it!!!

It's called Ibn Hamido and is located in Al Barsha on the slip road opposite the DG Sharaf train station. You pick out your fish and it's cooked to order. I had my fish grilled, split with Egyptian seasoning and hubby had the blackened fish. Soup was delish. The food is very fresh and clean.

If you make your way past the restaurant (there is a dry cleaning store next to it) take a right and follow the road (staying to the right) to bring you behind the slip road. There is an open lot which you can walk across to the slip road the the restaurant is to the right.

I highly recommend it and will definitely be going back again (and again and again).

I lived for 7 years in Heliopolis Bora and for sure miss the local food.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Was having dinner at a friend's place the other night and we were all pitching in. She showed me how to make sticky date pudding and it was gorgeous!

Here is a recipe from allrecipes.com, but this one has chocolate. One reviewer omits the chocolate and adds a touch of rum, which sounds great to me! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sticky-Dat ... etail.aspx
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mahmoud04 wrote:getting hungry hearing that BB, and its just the right time for it I guess, will try to visit it tomorrow,
I actually keep on discovering sea food places :D , found one as well in Ajman (far but great as well), and there are good ones in Sharjah too...

talking about fishes, my friend fished 3 baby sharks (from the palm :s ), didn't know there could be sharks that close...

Yikes!!! I've yet to see a shark in the water. I do know that there are alot of sharks living ON the palm. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Yikes!!! I've yet to see a shark in the water. I do know that there are alot of sharks living ON the palm. :lol:

Do they drive Mercs?

Food Related!
Ate Lebanese last night at the restaurant at Souk Al Bahar, overlooking the fouuntains under the Burj.
It was really nice food. We ate outside and the only problem was the music that came on with the fountains. It was bloody loud!
Lovely food, lovely view, shite music.
Bethsmum

Re: Food Thread Jun 04, 2011

tried it today BB, it was really great, well done BB...
and they serve big portions, felt so full so were my friends, and their sea food soup was wow... and the Sea Food Tajin... well, not it took a high rank in my list :D...

By the way, i found a real difficulty to reach it, from AD direction, other side should be easier i guess...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Food Thread Jun 05, 2011
Glad to hear you weren't disappointed Mahmoud. It is hard to find, but it's worth the trouble finding it. I think it's possible that the MOE exit might be easier - make your way through the streets. I'm confused - did you like the fish tajin or not?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

yesss loved it :D it was a mix Tajin, everything in it I guess...
and they serve it in that Tajin thing which keeps it hot forever, I meant "Now" not "not", sorry was writing in dark ...

and they also served a welcome dishes :D you know (Molkheya! and lessan asfoor) :lol: love it...
and the pasta is recommended, well I almost tasted everything came to the table :)
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Mahmoud04 wrote:yesss loved it :D it was a mix Tajin, everything in it I guess...
and they serve it in that Tajin thing which keeps it hot forever, I meant "Now" not "not", sorry was writing in dark ...

and they also served a welcome dishes :D you know (Molkheya! and lessan asfoor) :lol: love it...
and the pasta is recommended, well I almost tasted everything came to the table :)

Molkheya was amazing!!! Thanks for the tip on the seafood tajin (did the fish have bones in it - I can't stand eating fish with bones!!!) The tajin and pasta would be too much for me, but will definitely try it.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

no, it has no bones, just meat, I don't like bones with sauce , i even ordered the soup without crab....
no one can handle Tajin + Pasta :D, I just tasted the pasta as one of my friends ordered it...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Food Thread Jun 08, 2011
Anyone for Indian food?

Found an Indian restaurant "Royal Kebab" near - Dubai Properties Group/BBC/Kodak Building - which is around Knowledge Village (it doesn't designate the area) which does home delivery.

I ordered the Chicken Briyani which they make the way it should be made: in a clay pot with the "bread" topping. Absolutely delish. Yellow dal, tandoori chicken yum yum. Had Peshawari Chicken Kabob, again delish!!!. It's the second time I ordered form them. I couldn't eat the briyani, which will be tomorrow's lunch/dinner and the left over dal. :D

Highly recommend it - you just have to tell them to make sure it is delivered HOT!!!

Home Delivery 450-8105, 8106, 8107
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I'm guessing that would be the area behind the fake chrysler building twin towers on SZR. Somewhere between Wollongong Uni and BBC.

BTW what is the point of ripping of a building design ?
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:I'm guessing that would be the area behind the fake chrysler building twin towers on SZR. Somewhere between Wollongong Uni and BBC.

Thanks DDS, that's the area.

If you look at photos of the orginal chrysler building you will see what a beautiful piece of architecture it is and the history of it being built is quite interesting. There is the saying: imitation is the best form of flattery - and they may be the case since there are 2 replicates!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

It just reminds of Predator 2
desertdudeshj

Re: Food Thread Jun 09, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:I'm guessing that would be the area behind the fake chrysler building twin towers on SZR. Somewhere between Wollongong Uni and BBC.

Thanks DDS, that's the area.

If you look at photos of the orginal chrysler building you will see what a beautiful piece of architecture it is and the history of it being built is quite interesting. There is the saying: imitation is the best form of flattery - and they may be the case since there are 2 replicates!!!!

I love those buildings on the SZR! Dubai has some lovely towers, I love looking over the Marina at night.
Bethsmum

Re: Food Thread Jun 09, 2011
I love those buildings on the SZR! Dubai has some lovely towers, I love looking over the Marina at night.

love towers over the Marina too, there is a cafe there called "Picol Mondo" its open till late like 3, you can find a table with a swing on the water, order you grills, followed by shisha and leave the world behind, but not these days :( humidity kills the moment..
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Re: Food Thread Jun 11, 2011
It was my turn for dinner yesterday, so while looking for inspiration I found this Pork meatball stuffed with prunes, apple and port recipe; http://www.newscancook.com/recipes/pork ... th-prunes/

I had some Wicks Manor pork & apple burgers in the freezer I bought some time ago so I cheated on the pork mince and rolled out the burgers between cling film to get the right pocket size, you should use a hydrated prune and refrigerate the meatballs prior to cooking to firm up the meatball and stuffing, use any remaining stuffing for a sauce, just whiz it up in a blender.

It was, without doubt, one of the tastiest dinners my guests and I have ever enjoyed!

:)
Dillon

Sounds delish Dillon. Will try it but will have to use mince chicken, which I think will work well. Where did you get potato starch???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

I don't have potato starch so I improvised with an equal amount of Cornflour, I think you would know it as Corn Starch, but I guess any binding agent would do?

:)
Dillon

Well that's tea sorted out! I'm off to see Great Uncle Stanley Cranston at our local butchers, Cranstons for some of their finest pork sourced from farms on the Lakeland fells!

In the last five years Cranstons have won 71 individual quality awards, most recently winning the title SUPREME CHAMPION PRODUCT at the prestigious Q Guild Smith field awards with their Pork and Apple Pie.

They had pork and blackpudding sausages to try last week end. Delicious!

http://www.cranstons.net/

I can recommend their beef, best quality sourced locally :wink:

Dillon, have you ever tried substituting half cornflour for half of the plain flour in Yorkshire puddings, and adding an extra egg white?
I can't remember who recommended this to me, but it works, my Yorkshires are HUGE! The first time I tried it, they hit the roof of my Rayburn. I have to move them down a shelf now.

Mine beat Aunt Bessies anyday.
:D
Bethsmum

I think it is Jamie Oliver who adds whisked egg whites to his batter, I've never tried conrnflower but I have added a little Baking powder on the odd occasion just to help them along you understand. :oops:

I remember in earlier days, anyone returning to the UK on a leave cycle, always returned with lashings of pork products stashed away in their suitcases, it always tasted better when smuggled.

:lol: :lol:
Dillon

Dillon wrote:I think it is Jamie Oliver who adds whisked egg whites to his batter, I've never tried conrnflower but I have added a little Baking powder on the odd occasion just to help them along you understand. :oops:

I remember in earlier days, anyone returning to the UK on a leave cycle, always returned with lashings of pork products stashed away in their suitcases, it always tasted better when smuggled.

Why would they bring pork into the UK Dillon? Is it considered haram??? :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

It is in some parts Bora, sadly!!

And here's me shooting my mouth off in an English language contest :oops:

Dillon

Are those people smuggling in pork because they buy it at the local butcher?? Closet porkers?? :bom:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat