Fire In Al Quoz...

Topic locked
Fire in Al Quoz... Apr 03, 2008
...again. :roll:

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Fire in Al Quoz... Apr 03, 2008
^ian^ wrote:...again. :roll:

Just after the Naif Souq fire, :shock: ...a grim prelude to summer it is... :shock:
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Fire in Al Quoz... Apr 03, 2008
reviewer wrote:
^ian^ wrote:...again. :roll:

Just after the Naif Souq fire, :shock: ...a grim prelude to summer it is... :shock:

It's another week another disaster at the moment.
^ian^

Apr 03, 2008
All are major big fires, with the lost costing millions.... :shock:
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 03, 2008
This is unbeliveable. Again fire. The 2nd within one week in the same area. This is specialy bad for me, because I´m living not to far away from there. Hope that nobody will die because of this fire.
Kaan
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Apr 03, 2008
Kaan wrote:This is unbeliveable. Again fire. The 2nd within one week in the same area. This is specialy bad for me, because I´m living not to far away from there. Hope that nobody will die because of this fire.

Expect more, the problem is that most of the buildings that are going up in flames have sub-standard Electrical Installations, almost zero Fire Alarm or Fire Fighting equipment. One fine day the Civil Defence will go out and start doing their job, until that day comes you will see more and more of these incidents.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 03, 2008
sage & onion wrote:
Kaan wrote:This is unbeliveable. Again fire. The 2nd within one week in the same area. This is specialy bad for me, because I´m living not to far away from there. Hope that nobody will die because of this fire.

Expect more, the problem is that most of the buildings that are going up in flames have sub-standard Electrical Installations, almost zero Fire Alarm or Fire Fighting equipment. One fine day the Civil Defence will go out and start doing their job, until that day comes you will see more and more of these incidents.

Well the last fire was started due to fire crackers in the warehouse which apparently is banned in U.A.E. Leaving aside the electrical installation and all which is so true but on the other hand every greedy sob wants to make money and so what, put firecrackers in the place. I bet he even charged a lot by saying he can keep it and no ones gonna find out. But what I hate the most is that people without any common sense on the road. Like stop the car in the middle of the road and take pictures or slow the car down and keep watching regardless of whats happening behind. Caring is one thing but acting stupid is another. Cops should fine those people too.
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 03, 2008
Anyone think that many of these fires are intentional? Other than this one as I don't believe anyone really gained from it. But there are just far too many not to suspect anything.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 03, 2008
MC wrote:Anyone think that many of these fires are intentional? Other than this one as I don't believe anyone really gained from it. But there are just far too many not to suspect anything.

Why suspect malice when incompetence is a perfectly good excuse?
^ian^

Apr 04, 2008
on the subject of fire my two shakes:

fire rated doors are a requirement to conceal a fire inside a room, a requirement by civil defense for every building being built...

there are only a handful of manufacturers in the UAE that actually manufacture fire rated doors to international fire rated door standards (ie does a proper job) - and thousands of door manufacturers that wouldnt even have the slightest clue where to begin when manufacturing a fire retardant door.

it is also fact that some of these manufacturers pass off "fire rated doors" containing "fire rated paint" when there's no approved fire rated paint from the department of civil defense's list of approved fire retardant products. nor is an actual fire rated paint available in the UAE market, to my knowledge, anyone feel free to point me in the right direction if you know otherwise. regardless, 10 microns of paint film will not hold a fire back for 2 hours, anyway you look at it.

what happens is, the consultant sends some papers to be approved, mentioning "fire rated doors" - and the civil defense ticks it off as fire rated, but they dont actually check the specificiations of these "fire rated doors" - which are basically timber doors with no fire rating whatsoever, whcih burn down within 10 minutes, when their job is to conceal the fire in that room for 2 hours - inevitably the fire spreads.

so in the event of fires, the fire spreads quickly, and damages things quicker than they really should.... in the last 5 years, 14000 fires happened in dubai alone, let alone the other emirates (according to a news segment last night) - till proper fire rating proceduer starts taking place, expect nothing to change.. incompetance will continue to cause flames, and there's nothing to hold those flames back.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

ricks to claim insurance... Apr 17, 2008
i think these fire in industries and offices are just tricks to claim insurance...
kingkong
Dubai Forums Member

ha Apr 19, 2008
:o
Chris_Chu
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Apr 19, 2008
What has this lovely lady got to do with a fire in Al Quoz?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat