Family Secrets!

Topic locked
Family Secrets! Jan 26, 2012
I've just been watching 'Who Do You Think You Are?' again. I love hearing about people's families!

I was wondering if you had any stories about your family you would like to share? Did your parents tell you any stories when you were a child which you found out, later to be just tales? Has anyone if your family got a criminal record or just been a bit naughty? There's always someone a bit feisty in the background!

My grandmother was a bit of a girl, it seems. My father was under the impression that his mother and father were dead and he was brought up by his elder sister. That wasn't strictly true. The person who brought him up was his elder sister but her younger sister was, in fact, his mother. He never knew until he was about 19 and he never spoke to his mother/sister again. She later went on to marry and had four other children. A problem arose when she was expecting her youngest son (my favourite uncle). Her husband had been away at sea for 18 months and when he returned she was 8 months pregnant. :shock: She told him that the doctor had said she was pregnant but the egg had lain dormant and now she was about to give birth. Her husband picked up his kit bag and did an about turn and was never seen again.
I never had any contact with my Uncle or my cousins until the last ten years when I made contact with them and I have learnt all this scandle from them. My cousin came with me to Dubai once and we spent hours talking about our family. he told me that the rumour is that my grandmother killed herself in later life.
My Uncle has taken a shine to me as he says I am the living double of his mother.

So come on! Lets here a bit of scandle about your family, or some funny tales!

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Family Secrets! Jan 26, 2012
....im sure nothing is gonna beat ur story XD
tony89
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Wow BM!

My grandma always used to say "what happens after twelve o'clock is from the devil". I still think about her a lot, especially when sitting in a bar and the clock strikes 12. Not so long ago I found a dairy from my grandpa, he was in a nazi camp. He wrote while he was in the camp. Its amazing, all he wrote about was his love for my grandma. He escaped, and walked from Germany to Holland. Incredible. Irony has it, after he was back home, he started to work in a factory after the war, a German business delegation visited the factory, while he was working a German man made a mistake with a machine which killed my grandpa. Killed by a German after all. I never knew my grandpa.
I don't know what else, a cousing is opening club after club and always has trouble with people demanding protection money, he never gave in. He must be very brave.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Ah, what a sad story FD! There must be so many very sad stories from the war which make our own seem quite tame.

I don't know who my paternal grandfather was but my mum's dad was the liberating sargeant major into Bergen Belsen. He did have a lot of sad stories but didn't really like to talk to about them. He gave me a wedding ring that he came across in the camp. A man had buried it rather than the German soldiers get their hands on it. So many people seperated from their loved ones for what? Very sad!
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat