No Exit Numbers

Topic locked
No Exit Numbers Mar 07, 2007
Someone asked me how to get to a certain location and I said "Take Exit 38 off Sheik Zayed Raod and....." She looked at me as if I had 2 heads.
She never heard of such thing as "exit numbers" in Dubai. Everyone gives directions off Sheik Zayed Road by refering to a certain interchanbe #, roundabout, or landmark.

Kinda crazy - they could have saved on paint!

By the way, mall of emirates is at exit 39.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: No Exit Numbers Mar 07, 2007
Concord wrote:Someone asked me how to get to a certain location and I said "Take Exit 38 off Sheik Zayed Raod and....." She looked at me as if I had 2 heads.
She never heard of such thing as "exit numbers" in Dubai. Everyone gives directions off Sheik Zayed Road by refering to a certain interchanbe #, roundabout, or landmark.

Just after McDonalds.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 07, 2007
i know they use exit numbers alot in US, coz numbers are easier to remember. im kinda having the same problem where we have to deliver parcels to a customer based on landmarks. Its a different culture
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 07, 2007
If dubai is difficult!!! What abt sharjah...Uv got the industrial paints rnd abt, Massa Signal....and the list goes on.... :lol:
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 07, 2007
devilsdiciple wrote:If dubai is difficult!!! What abt sharjah...Uv got the industrial paints rnd abt, Massa Signal....and the list goes on.... :lol:

national paints
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 07, 2007
devilsdiciple wrote:If dubai is difficult!!! What abt sharjah...Uv got the industrial paints rnd abt, Massa Signal....and the list goes on.... :lol:

what's that got to do with the topic?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 07, 2007
because people are plain stupid in here
THE COVENANT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 07, 2007
^^^ Alternate log-in. Now, who is it? Confess.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 07, 2007
try and find out :)
THE COVENANT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 07, 2007
Concord wrote:

Well it goes with the topic...Since you were saying they should save paint!!! I just pointed out that at least here Conc for you it is easy since exits are marked unlike sharjah...Hence the ex..

Well thats what it had to do with the topic...

P.S - if it is out of topic my apologies....

cheers
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 07, 2007
gtmash wrote:

national paints

Yup...Typo....
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Concord wrote:Someone asked me how to get to a certain location and I said "Take Exit 38 off Sheik Zayed Raod and....." She looked at me as if I had 2 heads.

Most taxis don't know the exit numbers also. I used landmarks for instruction and directions.

What to do yani?! :shock:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 07, 2007
devilsdiciple wrote:
Concord wrote:

Well it goes with the topic...Since you were saying they should save paint!!! I just pointed out that at least here Conc for you it is easy since exits are marked unlike sharjah...Hence the ex..

Well thats what it had to do with the topic...

P.S - if it is out of topic my apologies....

cheers

got it now - I think.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

asc_26 wrote:

Most taxis don't know the exit numbers also. I used landmarks for instruction and directions.

Can't answer for yani (chinese painter Wang Yani :wink: ) but I tell people the exit number (and let them figure it out)!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Concord wrote:
asc_26 wrote:

Can't answer for yani (chinese painter Wang Yani :wink: ) but I tell people the exit number (and let them figure it out)!

I'd be hopeless at that. We have exit numbers in Australia but nobody uses them, I am accustomed to using landmarks though.

Pepsi Interchange.
Defence Roundabout.
National Paints Roundabout.
^ian^

^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:
asc_26 wrote:

I'd be hopeless at that. We have exit numbers in Australia but nobody uses them, I am accustomed to using landmarks though.

Pepsi Interchange.
Defence Roundabout.

where is the National Paints Roundabout? - hopefully not between Pepsi Interchange adn Defence Roundabout!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Concord wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:
asc_26 wrote:

Pepsi Interchange.
Defence Roundabout.

where is the National Paints Roundabout? - hopefully not between Pepsi Interchange adn Defence Roundabout!

Sharjah.
^ian^

Mar 07, 2007
Conc!!! The truth.....Did you really not know National Paints Rndt Abt???

:lol: :lol:
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 07, 2007
devilsdiciple wrote:Conc!!! The truth.....Did you really not know National Paints Rndt Abt???

not a clue. I've been thru sharjah. Went to the old souk (nice building - like the blue exterior). Looked for the textile souk once - to no avail.

Been lost a couple of times there (while driving thru)...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 07, 2007
I prefer the Irish way of directions

You go down the road, turn left at Murpy's Pub (Its actually called the shamrock but Murphy drinks there) turn right at Sean's farm etc etc
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 07, 2007
sage & onion wrote:I prefer the Irish way of directions

You go down the road, turn left at Murpy's Pub (Its actually called the shamrock but Murphy drinks there) turn right at Sean's farm etc etc

devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 11, 2007
My favourite is Sharjah's cultural square which is on a massive roundabout.
:lol:
Although it is still very impressive :!: :!:
look4thebest
Dubai Forums Member

Re: No Exit Numbers Mar 11, 2007
Concord wrote:where is the National Paints Roundabout? - hopefully not between Pepsi Interchange adn Defence Roundabout!

Emirates road, Dubai-Sharjah border, if there is such a thing.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat