Enough Already!...

Topic locked
Re: Enough already!... Nov 25, 2010
I agree that the term Hero should be reserved for those who truly deserve it. Soldiers are doing their 'job', but it would be those that go above and beyond in extreme circumstances who would be classed as a hero. One example I can think of, is the helicopter pilot who went in to airlift out some troops and they came under heavy fire. He took a bullet between the eyes (his helmet saved him from being fatally wounded), yet he still managed to fly and take the soldiers out of harms way.

With regards to the miners, they have a dangerous job in the first place, accidents can and will happen - but that's the risk that they take.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote: He took a bullet between the eyes (his helmet saved him from being fatally wounded), yet he still managed to fly and take the soldiers out of harms way.

Not attacking you, but how can that happen?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Enough Already!... Nov 25, 2010
http://www.news.com.au/world/british-he ... 5837442852

And yes that can be termed perfectly as a Hero.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Yes, along with all the other chocolate soldiers risking their lives as Benwj enjoys his beer.
Bethsmum

I'm risking my life BM everytime I take a taxi down sheik zayed road. Can I have a medal please?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Bethsmum wrote:Yes, along with all the other chocolate soldiers risking their lives

No, not all with all the other soldiers, just the few who deserve the title.
desertdudeshj

benwj wrote:I'm risking my life BM everytime I take a taxi down sheik zayed road. Can I have a medal please?

Yes, benwj, you can have a medal as big as a dust bin lid. Please can I pin it on? :D

-- Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:47 pm --

desertdudeshj wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:Yes, along with all the other chocolate soldiers risking their lives

No, not all with all the other soldiers, just the few who deserve the title.

If you joined up DDS, even you would be a hero to me.
Bethsmum

desertdudeshj wrote:http://www.news.com.au/world/british-helicopter-pilot-shot-between-the-eyes-but-keeps-flying-to-save-20-soldiers/story-e6frfkyr-1225837442852

And yes that can be termed perfectly as a Hero.

just to reiterate, this guy is a legend, and the grunts that he rescued from the firefight.
benwj

Grunts?
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Grunts?

American talk for soldiers. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

weren't you married to one?
benwj

benwj wrote:

Benwj!!!! BM was in all likelihood married to an officer (and a gentleman?)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Tomato tomato
desertdudeshj

There are quite a few soldiers that have lost limbs in these battles. They have patched themselves up, got false limbs and headed back out onto the front line, even though they don't have to. That's real guts and fighting for what you believe in.

My OH is a career soldier, he admits he can't do anything else. But I'm thankful that he and his friends left Iraq and came to the UAE to work as instructors and so are, for the time being anyway, out of harms way.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Some military types would call them cowards. I know, a skewered sense of reality.
desertdudeshj

Can't argue with someone who has never been in the military, nor ever will be, to experience it himself I guess. :roll: I would suggest you read the book "Matterhorn" to understand what a soldier goes through. It's not about war, but about the soldiers. For that matter, there are plenty of books written by men who served in the military - who served their country.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Actually DDS, you have to understand the motivation behind the decision these guys make in their military 'careers'. Working in their home countries they get paid a pathetic wage, fighting in war zones a bit better but still rubbish money for putting their lives on the line everyday. Most of these guys want to give the best they can for their families and the best money there is out there, is to work as a contractor in war zones for companies like Heart, Sabre and so on. They've paid their dues on the front line, putting themselves at risk everyday, so why shouldn't they then be employed putting their skills to use training others, whilst earning a decent wage for it? If you've spent years living in a tent in places like Iraq and Afghanistan dodging bullets and bombs on a daily basis, then I think they have well and truly paid their dues and deserve to move up the ladder.

FYI, they might be trainers now, but once the training is over, who knows where they are going to get sent to and for what reason.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Enough already!... Nov 26, 2010
benwj wrote:

benwj that is a very uncharitable name for soldiers. Yes I have said on this forum before that I was married to a British soldier. They are a different breed to most men and would lay down their life for a friend. Have you ever had anybody willing to do that for you?

No Bora, my husband was not an officer, he was just an ordinary soldier when I met him, a beautiful specimen, tall, broad shoulders, good looking and very fit, he was gorgeous. He swept me off my feet when I was 18 and I married him within 10 days of meeting him. We had a fantastic life but he couldn't leave Stella (Artois) alone. I gave him 20 years to sort himself out then the penny finally dropped. :idea: He got well and truely kicked into touch by me. Unfortunately soldiers carry a lot of baggage and the way they have to live can take it's toll on their personalities.

They still get maximum respect from me after seeing first hand what they go through.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
benwj wrote:

benwj that is a very uncharitable name for soldiers. Yes I have said on this forum before that I was married to a British soldier. They are a different breed to most men and would lay down their life for a friend. Have you ever had anybody willing to do that for you?

Its more a term of endearment than an insult. I was surprised that you hadn't heard it before being an army wife. I'm ex-military myself and have the utmost respect for them. The camaraderie is one of the few things I miss about it.
benwj

I can't say I ever came across that term for British soldiers. You're up early for a weekend.
Bethsmum

Re: Enough Already!... Nov 26, 2010
your up even earlier, or didn't you go to bed yet.
benwj

Yes, I've been but a sleepless night for me so I thought I would look at some 'stuff' on t'internet. The best of it is that I can't really afford to lose all that beauty sleep :D
Bethsmum

Re: Enough already!... Dec 01, 2010
Bethsmum wrote:Yes, I've been but a sleepless night for me so I thought I would look at some 'stuff' on t'internet. The best of it is that I can't really afford to lose all that beauty sleep :D

Why sleepless???
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Enough Already!... Dec 01, 2010
cuz in seattle ?
desertdudeshj

Re: Enough already!... Dec 02, 2010
sage & onion wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:Yes, I've been but a sleepless night for me so I thought I would look at some 'stuff' on t'internet. The best of it is that I can't really afford to lose all that beauty sleep :D

Why sleepless???

Mind in overdrive at the moment Sage, lot's of things going on with BM, and no DDS, I'm not in Seattle, I'm snowed in, in Cumbria :D
Bethsmum

Re: Enough already!... Dec 02, 2010
Bethsmum wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Why sleepless???

Mind in overdrive at the moment Sage, lot's of things going on with BM, and no DDS, I'm not in Seattle, I'm snowed in, in Cumbria :D

I will send you some of our Tropical Sunshine
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Enough Already!... Dec 02, 2010
You can't a woman in Spain already own its !
desertdudeshj

Re: Enough Already!... Dec 02, 2010
desertdudeshj wrote:You can't a woman in Spain already own its !

Ooops :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Enough already!... Dec 03, 2010
Sage, some of your sunshine would be most appreciated. Can you send it by DHL?
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat