Emiratisation At Its Finest

Topic locked
Emiratisation at its finest May 24, 2009
Emirati taxi driver campaign 'a complete failure'
by Andy SambidgeThis email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it on Sunday, 24 May 2009

TAXI CAMPAIGN: Sharjah's attempts to recruit Emirati drivers has been a failure. (Getty Images - for illustrative purposes only)Plans to recruit Emiratis as taxi drivers in Sharjah has been a total failure, with just one national applying for a job in five years, according to a senior transport official.

The Sharjah Public Transport Corporation (SPTC) said all of the nearly 20,000 taxi-driving positions continue to be filled by expats, despite an attempt to change that.

Mohammed al Shamsi, the chairman of the board of directors of the SPTC, admitted to the Sharjah Consultative Council that a campaign to recruit Emiratis had not worked, UAE daily The National reported on Sunday.

We admit this whole campaign was a complete failure,” he said. “We have tried several times, and I will tell you that we shall continue trying.”

Officials said there had been almost no Emirati interest in such jobs, the paper reported.

Al Shamsi said that since the SPTC launched the Emiratisation process among taxi drivers almost five years ago, only one national had enquired about a position as a driver.

“He called in the evening saying that he wanted a job as a driver, and in the morning, we called him back – he said he didn’t want the job anymore,” Al Shamsi said.

“We asked him why and if he had got another job – he said he was a national and was content to remain unemployed if he didn’t get a decent job as a national.”

Sharjah is not the only emirate that has tried to hire more Emiratis in the transport industry. Last summer, TransAD, Abu Dhabi’s taxi regulator, advertised jobs for retired Emiratis in Arabic-language newspapers, urging them to apply to be taxi and limousine drivers.

K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

May 24, 2009
Hardly surprising.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 24, 2009
pffffffffft
dresden
Dubai chat master

May 24, 2009
no doubt about it
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 24, 2009
Hey, that's a smart guy. In a few months he can be the CEO.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 24, 2009
Do you guys remember the directive from Dubai Co. that all secretarial jobs in the emirate should belong to emiratis only? I wonder how that fared...
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

May 24, 2009
A tough time for Sharjha
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

May 24, 2009
Instead of taxi driver, could use the term, Manager for Incoming and Outgoing Services. Additional titles include, Managers of Hospitality Transport Services.

Maybe then the response will improve. :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 24, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Instead of taxi driver, could use the term, Manager for Incoming and Outgoing Services. Additional titles include, Managers of Hospitality Transport Services.

Maybe then the response will improve. :lol:

Good one. Yes, it is all in the title. Those who know better say, call me what you want, as long as you pay me.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 24, 2009
k-dog .... get over it man . your job is done here in the UAE .. go on with your life and forget UAE and it's bashing news.

and for all the above,if we drive the taxies ,what good are you being here ? lunching moon rockets LOL :)

would you give me a reason why would they drive taxies , I mean ,coman lets be realistic here. we are not like and we will never be. the sooner you'll understand this the better sleep you'll get.
Clear ?

It was a good move though and it was for the retired locals instead of staying home doing nothing but they should’ve tried something more worthy , benefitable and educational and experience wise than taxi driving. You can’t just propose such a thing with out studying carefully the culture and the reality of what is going on around them.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 24, 2009
Do u poop roses?
Leda
Dubai Forums Talker

May 24, 2009
uaekid wrote:k-dog .... get over it man . your job is done here in the UAE .. go on with your life and forget UAE and it's bashing news.

and for all the above,if we drive the taxies ,what good are you being here ? lunching moon rockets LOL :)

would you give me a reason why would they drive taxies , I mean ,coman lets be realistic here. we are not like and we will never be. the sooner you'll understand this the better sleep you'll get.
Clear ?

It was a good move though and it was for the retired locals instead of staying home doing nothing but they should’ve tried something more worthy , benefitable and educational and experience wise than taxi driving. You can’t just propose such a thing with out studying carefully the culture and the reality of what is going on around them.

Well, its sad that every emirati thinks he has the ability to become a CEO. They should try and show a little humbleness every once in a while.
As for hometown K-Dog's Vegas....well he's got his own issues. Unemployed again soon??? ;)

Its Vegas baby :lol: build on people that can do a little trick every so often :twisted: Nottin' but air....
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 24, 2009
uaekid wrote:k-dog .... get over it man . your job is done here in the UAE .. go on with your life and forget UAE and it's bashing news.

Clear ?

Hey listen a$$wipe. First of all its your own government whos been trying this policy not me. You think you can buy anything with money and now its prving to be your downfall. It has made you lazy, arrogant and with no skills and real education. I read it somewhere that Prophet Mohamed used to do everything, he would walk while his followers rode his camel. So shut your pompous mouth and start worrying about your children.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

May 24, 2009
K-Dog wrote:So shut your pompous mouth and start worrying about your children.

What for? We have maids for that. /sarcasm
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

May 24, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:
K-Dog wrote:So shut your pompous mouth and start worrying about your children.

What for? We have maids for that. /sarcasm

hahaha lol
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 24, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

Crazy Crazy Vid dude. You do realize that this is the handiwork of Democrats.

Consumerism and Services accounted for 60% of the economy. That in my opinion was the big mistake. Manufacturing needs to be balanced with services. This is chance for America to remake their economy.
Incentives have to be given to manufacturing.
Banking reforms is the order of the day. I think there was a law that separated investment banking from commercial banking. That law has to be enforced rigorously so that subsidiaries are well monitored.
Eventually cheap labor across the world be it India or China will dry up. Out sourcing ensured America lost a lot of jobs, that was often blamed on the Trade Union Laws and the high cost of doing business in America. Was America less competitive in terms of talent?
Anywaz America need to find answers ASAP.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 24, 2009
K-Dog wrote:

Clear ?

Hey listen a$$wipe. First of all its your own government whos been trying this policy not me. You think you can buy anything with money and now its prving to be your downfall. It has made you lazy, arrogant and with no skills and real education. I read it somewhere that Prophet Mohamed used to do everything, he would walk while his followers rode his camel. So shut your pompous mouth and start worrying about your children.

+1

Have to give credit, where credit is due 8)
RobbyG

May 24, 2009
K-Dog wrote:

Clear ?

it's not the Gov, it's just a dump manger proposing such a stupid useless policy not bcz it's locals but look around you guys, why would they drive a taxi ? and as a remember it pays dh 2000 !!

don't go far, my dad worked in farms collecting dates for dh 1 a day worked in constructing the old defense forts an so in the old days and I'm proud of him, never the less you can't just propose such a policy that is completely useless with no benefits and does not pay much in an expensive life such as in the UAE not to mention the usual big families that 2000 wont pay their phone bills. non of you will ,or would you ?.

us being lazy k-dog ..well just let us and our Gov deals with it, it's not your problem neither you really care about it. so lets cut the bullshi*

but since you are jobless you can always apply for the NY yellow cap, give it a shot and let us know how it is LOL
uaekid

May 24, 2009
uaekid wrote:
K-Dog wrote:

Clear ?

it's not the Gov, it's just a dump manger proposing such a stupid useless policy not bcz it's locals but look around you guys, why would they drive a taxi ? and as a remember it pays dh 2000 !!

don't go far, my dad worked in farms collecting dates for dh 1 a day worked in constructing the old defense forts an so in the old days and I'm proud of him, never the less you can't just propose such a policy that is completely useless with no benefits and does not pay much in an expensive life such as in the UAE not to mention the usual big families that 2000 wont pay their phone bills. non of you will ,or would you ?.

us being lazy k-dog ..well just let us and our Gov deals with it, it's not your problem neither you really care about it. so lets cut the bullshi*

but since you are jobless you can always apply for the NY yellow cap, give it a shot and let us know how it is LOL

Your father must have some wonderful stories to tell about how life was in Dubai. It is that generation that is the true essence of the UAE. So, if I may say, you should make your father proud of you as you are of him.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 24, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Have to give credit, where credit is due 8)

Rob, why don't you add copyright mark of your Master. You are a lousy plagiarist. :) I know that it's difficult to invent something original nowadays but a pilfering somebody else's wisdoms is not a good start for a young man. :)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 24, 2009
Red Chief wrote:

Rob, why don't you add copyright mark of your Master. You are a lousy plagiarist. :) I know that it's difficult to invent something original nowadays but a pilfering somebody else's wisdoms is not a good start for a young man. :)

Being honest and straight forward is something you could learn from, one day.

In the mean time. Keep watching. :lol:
RobbyG

May 24, 2009
Rob,
Have you just visited a notorious coffee shop or used another mind-extender in the hard day's night? Your free association is not easy to follow.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 24, 2009
Hum. Someone is having a hard time following posts today.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Hum. Someone is having a hard time following posts today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hEcSsv ... L&index=62
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 25, 2009
Someone should shut up and keep her poison for the next day.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 25, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Hum. Someone is having a hard time following posts today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17hEcSsv ... L&index=62

Creepy enough for a midnight watch.

:hiding:

You scared me BB.

:lol:
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 25, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Red Chief wrote:

Being honest and straight forward is something you could learn from, one day.

In the mean time. Keep watching. :lol:

actually no, you are being as dump as k-dog.. it's a sham someone like you with his *knowledge* does agree to such a policy... why?

1-there is not even 1 reason to make the retired locals drive a taxi for it's low income since their retirement salary is good enough.

2- there are no benefits , skills or knowledge to gain out of it.

3- culture wise , sons wont let their dads do it not bcz they are ashamed of it but the fact that we value them for what they did to us and the hard time they've been throw in the old days. we will not repay them buy letting them drive taxis, instead we as we live in big families support them one they retired by all means.

Now so you see robbyg. unlike you we have this thing called family value beside as a smart guy as you should know that as a manger when thinking of proposing such a policy should consider all the above before putting in on the table and embraces your self as a manger with a complete failed project from the beginning..

no unless anyone see any benefit of this policy please come forward and discuss it instead of making useless comments like your brains.

Bora bora , I'm from AD by the way and yes I'm proud of him and will always be for the fact that he have seen it all ,good and bad times of this country and yes he got lots of endless stories to tell about the 60s and 70s and even though he is a man with a high income and prestige's position still hold his culure ties and passes it to us and always remind us not to look and act flashy and not to forget that our dad ones was a simple guy working in palm farms in the desert or constructing houses with muds just to put that piece of bread for us ..
uaekid

May 25, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Someone should shut up and keep her poison for the next day.

Where's you sense of "humor" RC? Did you lose it? :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 25, 2009
uaekid wrote:1-there is not even 1 reason to make the retired locals drive a taxi for it's low income since their retirement salary is good enough.

What is their retirement salary? Just estimate please. I listened that in general locals in Sharjah have much less subsidies than Dubai's ones.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 25, 2009
Ms. Bora, do you really think that you produce some real poison? Get real! It was the humor. :)
You may laugh.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat