Emirates ID Card Deadline - 31st Dec

Topic locked
Emirates ID card deadline - 31st Dec Dec 23, 2010
So with the deadline loomin, who still hasn't got their ID card? And will you try to do it?

I haven't and I don't think I will. The whole thing seems like a complete disaster to be honest adn what can you actually ues it for?

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Emirates ID Card Deadline - 31st Dec Dec 23, 2010
That's too funny. I thought they scrapped that whole plan!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Bah ! couldn't be bothered. I have enough useless govt cards that I have never used in my wallet as it is.

I would get it if they say turn in all your other junk which from now on you will not have to renew and pay and use this only. I know that is what they say it is for eventually but we been hearing about it for years while still paying for all the other crap.

I rather just file in a 300 dhs tax and be spared the hassle.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Emirates ID card deadline - 31st Dec Dec 23, 2010
I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that some guy had offered his EID card at the bank as identification, and it was rejected! If it's not good as ID, what good is it at all??

Except for the fact that everyone has to be fingerprinted to get one, so the authorities get everyone's fingerprints under the guise of an ID card scheme. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Well I've been finger printed twice before as well as have my profile run through the CID, interpol and FBI. So that doesn't bother me. What does bother me is going through the hassle and paying for something which is not required.

Why not have them done the same time when one is renewing their visa along with all the other crap. With in three years ( almost by now ) almost everyone would have had one. Instead start replacing those useless health cards and Labour cards instead of this when applying or renwing ones visa. Its suppose to be a replacement, then start replacing.

Anyways it suppose to be a national ID for nationals, I don't see why expats need to have it. Don't we have enough ID cards, a million photos, blood samples and passport photocopies floating around in the system already.
desertdudeshj

OT - In the uae, do you have to always carry your passport with you as valid form of identification ? , What happens if you are caught without it , Do the cops generally ask for identification randomly ? Thanks
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:OT - In the uae, do you have to always carry your passport with you as valid form of identification ? , What happens if you are caught without it , Do the cops generally ask for identification randomly ? Thanks

That's pretty hard to do when a lot of companies insist on keeping your passport.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Lemme just say, I've been here for 34 years and I must have needed to show some form of id less than 10 times in all the years I've been here. So no, as long as you have some form of id its ok unless your driving and they ask you for your license and you don't have it.

Last time was in Ramadan, I didn't have my valid labour card as too lazy to go pick up the new one from shj. I showed the two month old expired one and either the dude didn't check the dates or wasnt even bothered.
desertdudeshj

Chocoholic wrote:
zubber wrote:OT - In the uae, do you have to always carry your passport with you as valid form of identification ? , What happens if you are caught without it , Do the cops generally ask for identification randomly ? Thanks

That's pretty hard to do when a lot of companies insist on keeping your passport.

Which by the way is illegal, but they do it none the less and many people don't know the law either.
desertdudeshj

@chocks @ DDS - Thanks a lot guys 8)

DDS - Yes I have heard about companies withholding the passport, but is this practice done to white collar jobs also ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

All depends on who your employer is.
desertdudeshj

Zubs, they hold your passport here a further sense of ownership. Not sure what the point is, as I know companies just have a passport release form ,then you surrender your labour card instead. Anyone I have ever seen do this got their passport for a "camping trip to Oman".....then was never seen a again.

It is silly and I for one refuse. (Mind you, I am setting up my own company, so I guess I will withhold my OWN PP)

Emirates ID card? They can suck it if they think I am doing it. I have an expired visa and labour card anyway, so would never happen. Mrs. DD's boss waited in line for 7 hours to do the typing portion! I don't think so! Anyway, there are no penalties for NOT having it, so why bother? Due to the excessive wait times and lines, I suspect an extension will be granted at any moment.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidawg - Thanks for the info dude.

I have come to understand that this passport holding issue is not dictated by emarati law, then how can these companies commit this illegal action, judging by things going on in the uae, i am certain that reporting such action to the authorities would lead to very slow action, i assume
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:dubaidawg - Thanks for the info dude.

I have come to understand that this passport holding issue is not dictated by emarati law, then how can these companies commit this illegal action, judging by things going on in the uae, i am certain that reporting such action to the authorities would lead to very slow action, i assume

It would lead to "if you don't like it, quit".
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

^ True , i have heard the one sentence justification before , but amidst all this economic chaos in the dxb, do you find the laws to be changing ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Emirates ID card deadline - 31st Dec Dec 26, 2010
My company holds them for 'safe keeping' all we have to do to get it back, is fill in a form and give in our labour card - no big deal. I can understand why the do it, because we've had some absconders just up and leave owning alot of money - but hey people could do that at any time during their leave.

-- Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:14 am --

Oh no surprise th deadline has been extended:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/gener ... s-1.735935
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Emirates ID Card Deadline - 31st Dec Dec 26, 2010
Well look likes somebody had a bright spark afterall. The mid 2011 deadline mentioned here is for locals only. Expats will get it done while they renew their visa's. The GN article doesn't cover that in detail but The National does.
desertdudeshj

Re: Emirates ID card deadline - 31st Dec Dec 26, 2010
Got mine, absolutely no hassle a couple of months ago, took no longer than 10 minutes to complete the whole process, ID card was delivered 14 days later.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Emirates ID Card Deadline - 31st Dec Dec 26, 2010
I know people who went and got their ID cards way back when it was first introduced, I think 2008 or something and its time to renew them and they had wished they had not bothered or wasted that money then.

As still majority of the places it is not considered a valid form of ID. I know people where banks and even the RTA have refused to accept this instead asking for the usual passport photocopies etc etc.

I still see no point in having one when I have a ton of other cards which I have to pay. Like I said earlier one turns in all his other cards and get this one in return then it makes sense until then it is pointless,
desertdudeshj

Re: Emirates ID card deadline - 31st Dec Dec 27, 2010
Oh, guess what?

They extended it!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Emirates ID Card Deadline - 31st Dec Dec 27, 2010
Oh My ! what a wondefull surprise !.............................not
desertdudeshj

Can I drag it out to my next visa renewal?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Most probably yes.
desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat