Dubai Using The Economic Downturn To Reinvent Itself

Topic locked
Dubai using the economic downturn to reinvent itself Mar 27, 2009
I have heard that Dubai is using the current economic downturn to reinvent itself.

Basically, tourism will target middle/upper class people mostly from India and the West. And they will try to deter the lower class Western tourist from coming. They will also place an emphasis on trying to attract wester Muslims.

They will reestablish Islamic values to protect their culture, eg clamp down on skimpy dresses and drunken behaviour by tourist. And forbid any behaviour that is socially unacceptable in the Gulf region.

They will use the recession to get rid of under qualified western expats that have no desire to integrate or have shown no respect for the Emirati culture and whose behaviour offends most Emiratis.

When the economy recovers employment will be offered only to candidates who have suitable qualifications and experience, no-more people who can't get a job in London, coming to Dubai in management roles. Also preference will be given to qualified western Muslims are more likely to integrate, have more in-common with emirati's and whose values and behaviour is closer to the Emirati culture.

moejoe
Dubai Forum User

Mar 28, 2009
Any facts to back up your bold claims?

Your theory has more holes than swiss cheese as far as I can see.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Mar 28, 2009
dresden wrote:Any facts to back up your bold claims?

Your theory has more holes than swiss cheese as far as I can see.

The new behavioural guidelines, and also many complaint by locals has made the strategist think about their plans, and find away of achieving their objectives without alienating the locals or compromising on the values and traditions.
moejoe
Dubai Forum User

Re: Dubai using the economic downturn to reinvent itself Mar 28, 2009
moejoe wrote:I have heard that Dubai is using the current economic downturn to reinvent itself.

Basically, tourism will target middle/upper class people mostly from India and the West. And they will try to deter the lower class Western tourist from coming. They will also place an emphasis on trying to attract wester Muslims.

They will reestablish Islamic values to protect their culture, eg clamp down on skimpy dresses and drunken behaviour by tourist. And forbid any behaviour that is socially unacceptable in the Gulf region.

They will use the recession to get rid of under qualified western expats that have no desire to integrate or have shown no respect for the Emirati culture and whose behaviour offends most Emiratis.

When the economy recovers employment will be offered only to candidates who have suitable qualifications and experience, no-more people who can't get a job in London, coming to Dubai in management roles. Also preference will be given to qualified western Muslims are more likely to integrate, have more in-common with emirati's and whose values and behaviour is closer to the Emirati culture.

Haha, this guy is so full of himself.

The two things that he made up but finds some ground, is that Abu Dhabi influence could make Dubai go back a bit more stricter (read: less open minded) to different cultures.
And the targeting to Middle class Indians (more likely: high net worth Indians) is a reasonable guess from this MoJo.

He's got a short MoJo though. And its a black roasted/toasted one with a bias against Westerner society influences, which became clear in the Lebanese? topic.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 29, 2009
Do u think there is still more scope for Western Muslim integration into the middle east? I think u got it upside down moejoe? If anytin this current mess will put even the emiratization plans of the gov. on hold, the inflow of expat westerners will continue stronger than even before, especially if the oil prices stay this way!
They will be a need to build solid business, and with tight capital, there will be demand for skilled western managers, backed by low paying asian expats!
While Oil prices were high and the government was flush with capital, they could do watever they liked........but now there is need for prudence and sensible thinking!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Do u think there is still more scope for Western Muslim integration into the middle east? I think u got it upside down moejoe? If anytin this current mess will put even the emiratization plans of the gov. on hold, the inflow of expat westerners will continue stronger than even before, especially if the oil prices stay this way!
They will be a need to build solid business, and with tight capital, there will be demand for skilled western managers, backed by low paying asian expats!
While Oil prices were high and the government was flush with capital, they could do watever they liked........but now there is need for prudence and sensible thinking!

Well yes. MOST western Muslims, end up integrating and making friends with locals. I mean the good locals who go mosque instead of discos.
moejoe
Dubai Forum User

Mar 29, 2009
moejoe wrote:Well yes. MOST western Muslims, end up integrating and making friends with locals. I mean the good locals who go mosque instead of discos.

You imply that locals who go to discos are "bad" locals. What's wrong with going to a disco? Similarly, what does going to a mosque have to do with being a good local?

Being a good Muslim is not a prerequisite to being a good local just as being a bad muslim doesn't make one a bad local. They're on two different "scales" which just happen to be related because of this country's strong Islamic heritage.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 29, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:What's wrong with going to a disco?

The negativity of discos would bring Islamic culture into this discussion, and then you guys will refute it with your internet theories, so let's not get into that.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 29, 2009
gtmash wrote:

The negativity of discos would bring Islamic culture into this discussion, and then you guys will refute it with your internet theories, so let's not get into that.

Thats ok. We go party in the club then and you go have a teaparty on a piece of cloth in the desert. :lol:

Everybody happy :wink:
RobbyG

Mar 30, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Thats ok. We go party in the club then and you go have a teaparty on a piece of cloth in the desert. :lol:

Everybody happy :wink:

You don't live here though???
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 30, 2009
Figure of speech Sage, just some figure of speech.

sigh...some guyz 8)
RobbyG

Mar 30, 2009
This thread and the points the Moejoe raised, are very relevant....
I really curious to see how Dubai comes out of this crisis.... The unprecendated aid from Abu-Dhabi, crashing real estate prices, rising unemployment. How will thses issues be tackled? Will Dubai be the same henceforth? Will Dubai become more conservative, how will the immigration policies be affected etc There is so much scope for valid debate on this thread.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 30, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:This thread and the points the Moejoe raised, is very discerning.
I really curious to see how Dubai comes out of this crisis.... The unprecendated aid from Abu-Dhabi, crashing real estate prices, rising unemployment. How will thses issues be tackled? Will Dubai be the same henceforth? Will Dubai become more conservative, how will the immigration policies be affectedetc There is so much scope for valid debate on this thread.

Only if MoJo's intentions were sound, this debate could open up. Unfortunately they aren't.
RobbyG

Mar 30, 2009
^ Looks like Mojo has lost his mojo.

Yeah baby.... yeah.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Mar 31, 2009
moejoe wrote:
Well yes. MOST western Muslims, end up integrating and making friends with locals. I mean the good locals who go mosque instead of discos.

dresden
Dubai chat master

Mar 31, 2009
Ói ! No pictures may be used twice in 5 minutes.... new netiquette rule ;)

Badd Dresden. This is what you need.... :lol:

RobbyG

Mar 31, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Ói ! No pictures may be used twice in 5 minutes.... new netiquette rule ;)

Well, if the shoe fits... ;)

P.s, I just got hired by a dutch firm. LOL
dresden
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat