Dubai Is Still In The 3rd World

Topic locked
Jun 04, 2009
Speedhump wrote:The photo is clearly not about marriage at all. It's about expression of love. You can debate until the cows come home about the difference between the two, and whether love has to be accompanied by marriage, but what on earth is wrong with showing affection in public, in a nice way. It's just twisted to say it has to stay behind locked doors.

I dont know if that was specifically directed towards me but im assuming it was.

I think I may have gone slightly off-topic with my initial post and may have not conveyed my message properly. I know the pic is not about marriage but about expression of love. Globally, if people saw that pic, the thing that will come to mind is that how the western society is "superior" as the are "free" and able to "express" themselves better and thats the way to be. Whereas in reality, they (with all their expression of love) would more likely end up splitting up than the not so expressive and rather "backward" arab couple.

Again im assuming that its another case of western vs eastern mentality and there is not point in justifying our opinions because it will go on forever (as i said before).

Besides, I never said that you shouldn't show affection in public.

redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 05, 2009
Yes I guess I was commenting on your comment about the photo, and the subsequent discussions.

Yes I agree, in any society where one s*x is mostly treated as inferior, or as a possession, marriage will naturally last longer as only one party really has the power. Women are even told that in the eyes of Allah they are inferior and weak. Of course there are exceptions, as in all things, and Muslim women are at last gaining some ground against the almost stone-aged ideas fossilised in Sharia Law. I hope you don't object to me giving my opinion.

Read Nawal El Saadawi's 'The Hidden Face of Eve: Women in the Arab World' for an educated woman's personal view of sexual relations, marriage and divorce in the Middle East. Although you should not need your eyes opening (if you are Muslim yourself).

Also you are assuming that it is ultimately desirable for man and woman to have to commit to each other for life in some form of contract, an old idea (based again on the concept of a woman being a man's chattel, or possession), which is in fact losing ground in modern societies. The word 'traditional' is usually rolled out to attach to some idea to give it a glow of respectability, whereas concepts become outmoded by changes in our world and old ideas often just do not fit in a changing society.

Cheers, no insults intended.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2009
chevaliers-de-sion wrote:
uaebadoo wrote:If you dont like the Country's Laws

Just Leave it :D

In Al Ain do they still use buses to drive their goat around the area ?

What buses dude

Sometimes we lock them in the trunk :twisted:
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 05, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well I don't believe in 'marriage' in the first place. Why do people have to have a 'contract' to prove they are dedicated to one another, it's just a piece of paper at the end of the day.

Nothing to do with East or West. I don't believe anyone has the right to tell you how to live your life.

That's my opinion.

Just a piece of paper? I hope it were :wink:
PointGiven
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 05, 2009
uaebadoo wrote:

What buses dude

In Al Ain we had bus drivers who to use to transport their livestock around the area in stead of passengers
and in the Oman area they built new houses for the locals but again they put their goats in them and locals lived in tents

P.s have locals worked out how the traffic lights work around the area of clock round about yet ?
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 05, 2009
uaebadoo wrote:

What buses dude

LOL.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat