Dubai In Mail On Sunday

Topic locked
Dubai in Mail on Sunday Jun 15, 2009
There was a large article about Dubai property in the Mail on Sunday newspaper in the UK today. Anyone see it? I will report it later .
It mentioned the Dubai property price drop , but said that some who had sold had made money on the exchange rate [even though they lost on the property value ] because the exchange rate favoured them when they converted dirhams back to Sterling.

RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Dubai in Mail on Sunday Jun 15, 2009
RedKite wrote:There was a large article about Dubai property in the Mail on Sunday newspaper in the UK today. Anyone see it? I will report it later .
It mentioned the Dubai property price drop , but said that some who had sold had made money on the exchange rate [even though they lost on the property value ] because the exchange rate favoured them when they converted dirhams back to Sterling.

That sounds right. I bought a place in Oct 08 in marina, have lost around 30% of the value but will have gained some on the exchange rate as i transfered money from UK at rate of 7 to the pound so selling it now would mean some gain on the rate transferring back to sterling although still outweighed by the losses in the value of the place.

In a way the weak dollar prob didn't help the property market in dubai making it more appealing for uk expats to sell property and take the 30% increase in exchange rate back to sterling while also making it less attractive to buy if transferring funds from UK. That coupled with abnormally high interest rates at UAE banks therefore high mortgage repayments not exactley helped the market here.
duncheski
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2009
Did none of you read that article about Dubai in Mail on Sunday?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 20, 2009
RedKite wrote:Did none of you read that article about Dubai in Mail on Sunday?

I thought you were going to post the link
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 23, 2009
I am really busy trying to run 3 businesses at peak time of year in the UK.
Is the Mail on Sunday available in Dubai ....or is such a report CENSORED??

Millions saw it in the UK.
Now this last Sunday, 21/6/09, the Sunday Times Business Section had a really damaging report on Dubai called "Bye Bye Dubai ? ", expecting a flood of expats to leave at the end of the school term.
The sub-heading is "Desert dreams of riches for expats are hit by a financial sandstorm ".

Sub-headings are "The credit crunch has left the emirate battling to show its grand plans are more than a mirage", by reporter John Arlidge.
And........."If foreigners exit, there is a domino effect through the entire economy".

That is Sunday Times 21/6/09. It is a long report, almost a full broadsheet page with pics. This is being read by the top UK people , both in finance, holidays and investment. Very damaging again !

The UAE government will not SILENCE the British Press !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 24, 2009
I wouldn't worry about an article by the Daily Mail. In the UK it's considered a bit of a joke. Right wing reactionary rubbish.

The kinds of people who read this paper wouldn't ever travel outside of the UK anyway, for fear of being raped and murdered by an AIDS-infected, crack addicted, illegal immigrant, pit bull.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 25, 2009
cant find it it in their archives
dental-1
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 25, 2009
Dr Strangelove,

Good grief ! You could not be FURTHER from the truth!! The Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday are the MOST popular newspapers for "Middle class Britain" . The Daily Mail seels about 2 MILLION copies a day......without checking!!
You amaze me with your last statement . Mail readers are amongst the BIGGEST TRAVELLERS . If not, why is the Daily Mail FULL OF HOLIDAYS ...especially Cruise holidays every Saturday ??

Do you think ALL OF THOSE TRAVEL ADVERTISERS ....do not know what they are doing ? If you represent thought processes in Dubai , no wonder Dubai has lost touch with reality !

Mail and Mail on Sunday readers are the most travelled , I would wager !! For a start there are FAR MORE of them !!

Sunday Times and Sunday Telegraph have FAR FEWER READERS , so do not underestimate the POWER of the Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday to SELL HOLIDAYS AND PROPERTY WORLD WIDE .

I am not consistent in my Sunday Newspaper buying. It depends what STORIES ARE IN !! But I buy the Mail on Sunday ; Sunday Telegraph and Sunday Times.......depending on MY MOOD and their content !!
I often buy 2 of the 3......no depends which two !!

I never buy trashy red-top tabloids, but the Mail often has interesting stories without being as serious and boring as the broadsheets !
THAT IS WHY IT IS THE TOP-SELLING MIDDLE CLASS PAPER !!

MAIL READERS AFRAID TO TRAVEL??? THEY EVEN PRINT A VERSION IN SPAIN , IT IS SO POPULAR WITH HOLIDAYMAKERS !!
So that proves you wrong !!

A GREAT MANY PROPERTY BUYERS READ THE MAIL !! IGNORE IT AT YOUR PERIL !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 25, 2009
Hey RK, which newspaper do you read, I bet its not the Mail, lol
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 25, 2009
If dubai can get over this hump, it will truly put itself on the map as one of the global business leaders. (i.e Tokyo, NY, London).

This is the first chance for Dubai to really prove itself when handed a bad hand. Sit and wait. Dubai bashing is in fashion.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Jun 27, 2009
dresden wrote:If dubai can get over this hump, it will truly put itself on the map as one of the global business leaders. (i.e Tokyo, NY, London).

This is the first chance for Dubai to really prove itself when handed a bad hand. Sit and wait. Dubai bashing is in fashion.

Now this is a very true statement.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 28, 2009
Does RedKite sell advertising in the Daily mail?

What a trashy paper - if it is read by "middle class britain" then that explains the problems and the attitudes and intelligence of this sector of the British Public.

Yes sure they travel; lager holidays, package holidays etc now that it is the same cost as going to butlins or Blackpool.

The Daily Mail is not to be taken seriously and is in the same league as the Sun - except the Sun is at least funny.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 30, 2009
Scarlet,

Total nonsense!! You cannot put the Daily Mail in the same league as the Sun or any of the other "Red-tops" . Content and reportage are completely different.

I buy the Daily Mail and Western Mail every day. I vary from Mail on Sunday to Sunday Times to Sunday Telegraph on Sundays, but often think the broadsheets can be too serious and boring, apart from a handful of articles[ especially Christopher Booker] and the Business and Sports sections.

The Mail might go overboard on some campaigns, but you CANNOT COMPARE its readership to the Sun.
Why do you think so many holiday companies advertise so heavily in the Mail if its readers do not go abroad?

You have lost touch with the UK if you think that !
Why the hell do they publish the Daily Mail in SPAIN....if all its readers are in Blackpool ??

WISE UP !!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat