Dubai Forums Own WC Fantasy League!!

Topic locked
Dubai Forums own WC fantasy league!! Jun 07, 2010
how about we get dubai forums own league and we all have a chance to win some cool prizes.

any1 up for it??

rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai Forums Own WC Fantasy League!! Jun 08, 2010
WTF is WC ? Please tell me you dont mean Warcraft or some other g@y crap like that !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Dubai Forums own WC fantasy league!! Jun 08, 2010
World Cup dumbass, only the largest sporting event in the world.

Yeah, rudeboy, I'm in...
smokedawg
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Count me in!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Ooops ma badd :oops:
desertdudeshj

Lets do it
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

smokedawg wrote:World Cup dumbass, only the largest sporting event in the world.

Yeah, rudeboy, I'm in...

Mate just so you know, this is soccer not football :lol: :lol:

O yea count me in too!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

ok guys, we got 6 players so far:

rb
mcl
S&O
DD
FD
SD

register up at http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/ and make your team. Before making a team, go through the rules and points section.

I have already made a league called Dubai Forums league ;) and just put this no in 502898-111881.

DD you dont have to be a sporting genuis, all you got to do is predict who will win etc etc and who knows you might actually win a car!! you wont find out unless you dont try ;) so dont be a party poop and get in there son ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai Forums own WC fantasy league!! Jun 09, 2010
rudeboy wrote:ok guys, we got 6 players so far:

rb
mcl
S&O
DD
FD
SD

register up at http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/ and make your team. Before making a team, go through the rules and points section.

I have already made a league called Dubai Forums league ;) and just put this no in 502898-111881.

DD you dont have to be a sporting genuis, all you got to do is predict who will win etc etc and who knows you might actually win a car!! you wont find out unless you dont try ;) so dont be a party poop and get in there son ;)

I get re-directed to Fifa something or the other, can you give me an exact guide of where to go with the number stated above bearing in mind I don't want to spend hours at a time doing it. Thanks.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Misery Called Life wrote:
smokedawg wrote:World Cup dumbass, only the largest sporting event in the world.

Yeah, rudeboy, I'm in...

Mate just so you know, this is soccer not football :lol: :lol:

O yea count me in too!

MCL

This is an English forum and as such it is FOOTBALL.

Soccer is the stupid yank term for fotball. They had to call football something else when they stupidly decided to create American Football, which as we all know isn't Football at all.
arniegang

Re: Dubai Forums Own WC Fantasy League!! Jun 09, 2010
Pretty much like calling a cigarette a "fag" huh?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Soccer is ghay. Its football as know in rest of the world. American rugby would be more appropriate. Good thing they dont call ice hockey, American Ice football !

And whats Ozzie Rules football all about ?
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:

Blood donation mostly...

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Knight
Dubai Knight

sage & onion wrote:
rudeboy wrote:ok guys, we got 6 players so far:

rb
mcl
S&O
DD
FD
SD

I get re-directed to Fifa something or the other, can you give me an exact guide of where to go with the number stated above bearing in mind I don't want to spend hours at a time doing it. Thanks.

sage you got to sign up with fifa. once you done that go back to http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/ and enter your user details or in the fifa windows you will see a games section bit click on that. search for a bit like Myleague or Join League, enter the number and you are in. Mind you it will take some time to get a winning team together ;)

-- Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:40 pm --

come on guys!!! we only got 3 ppl so far!! Dk you in?? DD you in as well??
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai Forums Own WC Fantasy League!! Jun 10, 2010
Bora Bora wrote:Pretty much like calling a cigarette a "fag" huh?

Wrong........

a fag is a another term for gay boy
arniegang

desertdudeshj wrote:Soccer is ghay. Its football as know in rest of the world. American rugby would be more appropriate. Good thing they dont call ice hockey, American Ice football !

i'll second that DD

the yanks never quite grasped the complexities of the Eng Lang considering they started off chatting to each other by using smoke signals and shouting pow wow pow wow

:lol:
arniegang

arniegang wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Soccer is ghay. Its football as know in rest of the world. American rugby would be more appropriate. Good thing they dont call ice hockey, American Ice football !

i'll second that DD

the yanks never quite grasped the complexities of the Eng Lang considering they started off chatting to each other by using smoke signals and shouting pow wow pow wow

:lol:

errr..........I believe it was the Indians who used smoke. And they didn't shout "pow wow pow wow" as they had a language of their own. Nor is a pow wow pow wow a dance. A pow wow refers to a meeting of the council.

As much as you would like to think that the "creation of the English language" was by the Brits/English, history tells a different story. The below was provided by several contributors, all of which seem to be in agreement:

The English language is firmly rooted in its Nordic origins or Anglo Saxon. The language evolved through common useage by Angles (Danes), Saxons(Northern Germans) and Jutes (Danes)whose tribes were in close cultural and physical contact prior to their arrival in England in 449 as invaders. The basic language changed only slightly during the next 500 years although dialects and loan words were absorbed through contact with more recent arrivals from Denmark into the Danelaw in the 9th and 10th centuries.At the time immediately before the arrival of the peculiar patois of Norman French, English was still so closely rooted to its common Germanic stock that Norwegians Icelanders, Danes and English could all communicate reasonably easily. When the cultural oppression that characterised the Norman conquest took over,the only tongue acceptable to the ruling elite was a bastardised French of the Norman variety.

English was thus literally driven underground where it remained for three hundred years kept alive by the commoners only emerging transformed in the 14th century with Chaucer. With notes this is recognisable as modern English and thus has kept its ribald place in the affections of GCSE students throughout the land. The core of any language is based on the most spoken 200 words and all of these are Old English or Anglo Saxon in origin.

From at least the time when the Romans invaded Britain in the first century, until late middle ages many European languages influenced the development of English in quite fundamental ways. After the Latin of the Romans, there was the Germanic languages of the Angles, Saxons and Jutes. Then the Scandinavian languages of the Vikings. And then the French of the Normans. England had territory in what is now modern France for much of the later Mediaeval period and many of the Kings, Queens and aristocracy following the Norman conquest (AD 1066) could only speak French. It is also important to remember that these other languages were considerably different to those we know today and have also evolved.

I guess it is more relevant to consider how English has become more standardised. Today, as is probably the case through out history, people in England (and throughout the world) don't speak English in the same way. They both pronounce words differently and use differing sets of vocabulary. In some cases they even have differnt meanings for the same words. Over time these differences has been sustantially affected by such things as communication (travellers, letters, telegraph, telephone, radio and internet). Other major influences such as books and printing presses have had a major influence on people who can read, as has the theatre and travelling poets etc, moving pictures, radio and television. From the eighteenth century people who went to school have been taught from grammar manuals which undoubtedly has had some influence on how we perceive English should be spoken.

English, as with all evolving languages is always changing. As new discoveries and inventions are made so too must words be found to represent these. All manner of historical and social events contibute to hand have contributed to what must be one of the most interesting languages known.

It's worth pointing out, as well, that the English language is most heavily based on Germanic languages -- a kind of mix between native British and Germanic languages was achieved during the Anglo-Saxon period (around 900 AD). Even after the Norman Conquest, when many of the nobility spoke only French, the majority of the populace still spoke Anglo-Saxon English. Though we borrowed many words from French, most of our basic, everyday words, have German or Scandinavian origins (the latter from the Viking invasions and settlements during the Anglo-Saxon era), and one can't help but notice that we use grammar far closer to German than the Romance languages.

To a greater or lesser extent we can say that the English language has evolved over the past 1600 years. It has been subject to many influences, notably Norse, Latin, Amaraic, Quelsh Skythe and Rmumsibald (or Oulde Neuter, as it was referred to in the area south of Colchester). Rmumsibald derived itself from an offshoot of the old Germanic languages and had a slavic influence as well.

R.S. Hawsley in his study "The England and their language: fools and kings and players" (1997, 1st Edition, Cantab) states that the first sighting of English can be traced to a Shropshire village in or around 900 AD and, more importantly, to some form of shopping list, which reads:

"Hawlthve apund, turpenech rife. Hawlthve apund, tregoile.";

before leaving the shopper with the instructions:

"Farths thern hauye, ther morney gophes. Poiep, gophes ther waezil."

It was Chaucer who referred to the language thus: "Aer tur fauwle end, wheunce bipute ofne whyene, tur jifferbeth aure lengoidshe frame felds sarme placethe parsd." [And to the end, where to be placed, the conversation our language takes is framed from far off lands.]

The origins of the words 'England' and 'The English' and the Language 'English'
The words 'English' and 'England' come from the Anglo-Saxon. The Anglo-Saxons were not a single people, and may not have been even a formal confederation originally. Primarily made up of Jutes from Jutland where they are still called Jutes in that area, the Engle or Angles from Angeln in Denmark, also called the 'Anglii' (Latin for Engle,) by the Roman historian Tacitus, and the Seax, named after their formidable fighting knife of the same name, who came from Saxony Elbe-Weser region in Germany. Smaller number of Frisians came from the small islands in the North Sea.There were also Jutes from the lower Rhineland, and Swabians, Franks and Alamanni. However the Anglian and Saxon tribes were the most prominent. These tribes called the Anglii-Saxones by Paul The Deacon to cover a single 'insular Germanic' identity, or Saxons (after the dominant tribe,) for short in more modern times. They were a formidable set of three North Sea Germanic tribes. From this combination of tribes we get an evolution through the words Engle, Angles, Anglii, - or Englisc, Anglisc which were apart of the Nerthus-Worshipping peoples mentioned in Tacitus's Germania. Anglii (the Latin version of the word Engle) is the earliest recorded form of the folk-name which gave rise to 'Eng' in England. However, the people called themselves Anglisc (Angle-ish, Anglian) and the national identity was assumed under the heading Anglisc or Englisc, 'English'. The people gave their name to their territory, thus the Englisc gave their name to Englalond (England). Englisc was used from the time of Alfred the Great onwards to describe both in the sense of 'Englishman' and as meaning the 'English' language. See http://www.englandandenglishhistory.com ... fault.aspx
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Dubai Forums own WC fantasy league!! Jun 10, 2010
How very interesting - not

You trying to point score or bora bora us to death :P

:sleepy1: :sleepy1: :sleepy1: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:
arniegang

WTF? Over a 100,000 members and just 4 people have signed uppppp??? C'mon people get moving, the stakes are high here. RB is promising as free rounds of beer and steak as long as you beat his XI!!!!!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai Forums own WC fantasy league!! Jun 11, 2010
arniegang wrote:How very interesting - not

Nah. Just helping you out and setting the record straight - or is that strait?? :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Dubai Forums own WC fantasy league!! Jun 12, 2010
Bora Bora wrote:

Nah. Just helping you out and setting the record straight - or is that strait?? :lol:

not quite sure of what you mean here Bora ?

Strait and Straight are 2 different words with 2 different meanings. I can't set the record strait because this makes no sense whatsoever, but i am pleased to set the record straight for you.....................

A strait or straits is a narrow, navigable channel of water that connects two larger navigable bodies of water. It most commonly refers to a channel of water that lies between two land masses, but it may also refer to a navigable channel through a body of water that is otherwise not navigable, for example because it is too shallow

and...........

Straight means travelling in a line without turns, bends or curves, or the personal character of displaying honesty or fairness. It can also mean a poker hand containing five cards in sequential ranked order. Another meaning that can be applied is an expression for a heterosexual person (as an antonym to queer or gay). Actors can also play "straight roles" as opposed to playing comedy roles.

:wink:
arniegang

Re: Dubai Forums Own WC Fantasy League!! Jun 12, 2010
Misery Called Life wrote:WTF? Over a 100,000 members and just 4 people have signed uppppp??? C'mon people get moving, the stakes are high here. RB is promising as free rounds of beer and steak as long as you beat his XI!!!!!

Have you possibly considered that many members...in fact seemingly the vast majority...couldn't give an Arsene Wenger about football/soccer/gay boys running around a field chasing their balls?

World Cup?

Pah!

All hype.

I would rather watch curling.

Or even golf.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Dubai Forums Own WC Fantasy League!! Jun 12, 2010
Curling now theres a proper sport !.....:D
desertdudeshj

arniegang wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

not quite sure of what you mean here Bora ?

Strait and Straight are 2 different words with 2 different meanings. I can't set the record strait because this makes no sense whatsoever, but i am pleased to set the record straight for you.....................

A strait or straits is a narrow, navigable channel of water that connects two larger navigable bodies of water. It most commonly refers to a channel of water that lies between two land masses, but it may also refer to a navigable channel through a body of water that is otherwise not navigable, for example because it is too shallow

and...........

Straight means travelling in a line without turns, bends or curves, or the personal character of displaying honesty or fairness. It can also mean a poker hand containing five cards in sequential ranked order. Another meaning that can be applied is an expression for a heterosexual person (as an antonym to queer or gay). Actors can also play "straight roles" as opposed to playing comedy roles.

:wink:

Now you are doing it to me!!! :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy1: :sleepy1:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oy RB where you at mannnnn?? I'm absolutely whooping you and my stars haven't even begun playing yet! 8) :D

-- Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 am --

Dubai Knight wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:WTF? Over a 100,000 members and just 4 people have signed uppppp??? C'mon people get moving, the stakes are high here. RB is promising as free rounds of beer and steak as long as you beat his XI!!!!!

Have you possibly considered that many members...in fact seemingly the vast majority...couldn't give an Arsene Wenger about football/soccer/gay boys running around a field chasing their balls?

World Cup?

Pah!

All hype.

I would rather watch curling.

Or even golf.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight

Curling?? Golff??? Phew I'm too poor for golf and never did know anyone who played curling, so I guess I'll just go snail watching! It should be the same experience which is boring with nothing exciting ever happening !!!! :lol: :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Dubai Forums own WC fantasy league!! Jun 14, 2010
Misery Called Life wrote:Oy RB where you at mannnnn?? I'm absolutely whooping you and my stars haven't even begun playing yet! 8) :D

Go MCL go!!!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Dubai Forums Own WC Fantasy League!! Jun 14, 2010
arniegang wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Pretty much like calling a cigarette a "fag" huh?

Wrong........

a fag is a another term for gay boy

er Cigs are also known as fags!

'Fag' in the US is the term for gay - not in the UK. You've been mixing it up for too long Arnie!

As for Aussie rules football - that's just known as carnage pure and simple isn't it?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Dubai Forums Own WC Fantasy League!! Jun 15, 2010
Chocoholic wrote:
As for Aussie rules football - that's just known as carnage pure and simple isn't it?

Like 10 minutes before Iftar on the SZR during the last week of Ramadan!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat