Driving: Guilt-Innocence Vs. Fear-Power

Topic locked
Re: Driving: Guilt-Innocence Vs. Fear-Power May 27, 2011

I remember the Book roundabout in Sharjah (as far as I understand it's the second photograph) with anger even now. In rush hours it took 20-25 minutes to enter. I disagree with Dillon - any roundabout does not work with relatively heavy traffic. Thanks God a new tunnel was completed a year ago. That resolve the situation a bit but not completely.

Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Driving: Guilt-Innocence vs. Fear-Power May 27, 2011
Dubai Knight wrote:
uninitiated is a 200bhp, 350kmph muscle bike,
Knight

Thats a load of bull

where do you get your motorcycle stats from?
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Driving: Guilt-Innocence Vs. Fear-Power May 27, 2011
Red Chief wrote:

I remember the Book roundabout in Sharjah (as far as I understand it's the second photograph) with anger even now. In rush hours it took 20-25 minutes to enter. I disagree with Dillon - any roundabout does not work with relatively heavy traffic. Thanks God a new tunnel was completed a year ago. That resolve the situation a bit but not completely.

I’m not suggesting that roundabouts are an answer to every junction, on the contrary, they also have limitations and design capacities, when those capacities are exceeded they will gridlock like any other traffic management system, the next step up from a roundabout would be to build an intersection of over and underpasses, much the same as what’s currently happening on the Al Khail Road.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Driving: Guilt-Innocence Vs. Fear-Power May 28, 2011
Read this article to have a glimpse into why driving is so bad.

A spoilt 25 yr old girl thinks she is a great driver because she never had an accident; so she sees nothing wrong in applying makeup and reading bberry whule driving

The worst thing is a Newspaper is actually wasting print space glorifying such clueless drivers.

"Whether Ms Yazbak's knack for evading car accidents was due to luck or skill, she was not sure.

But as she checked her BlackBerry for "important" messages, sipped her coffee, flicked through her iPod, and did her make-up on a drive from work, luck seemed to be in play."

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news ... ot-typical

I know people who have jumped red lights (when they know there is no radar) and justify it by saying "i never hit someone so its all ok"

-- Sat May 28, 2011 12:40 am --

Dubai Knight wrote:
I had a friend who was badly injured whilst riding a Yamaha VMax, which for the uninitiated is a 200bhp, 350kmph muscle bike, whilst stationary at a set of traffic lights. A blacked out 4x4 pulled up behind him and just didn't stop, smacked him in the rear and pushed him out into the flow of traffic, where he was struck side on by a Toyota Yaris

. Unfortunately the driver of the Yaris was also fined 400dhs and his insurance company had to pick up the repair bills for the bike.

Why was the Yaris driver fined? How was it his fault if another car hit a bike into his path ??
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Every subject has to turn into a racist issue… anyway street racers are an every city problem, you just got to have them :) … neither they locals or not are the reason behind ppl not having a sense of driving in a city. you got to adopt to your surround , it’s the basics of survival LOOOOL or in this case take a bus .. I understand this article and agrees with it.. I drove diff in the states , UAE, Cairo and other cities….. just go with flow losers LOL
uaekid

Re: Driving: Guilt-Innocence vs. Fear-Power May 28, 2011
You know back in the day, they actually took the majority of roundabouts out of Dubai because there were so many accidents as people didn't understand how to use them?!

Sadly in recent years the roundabouts have been put back in and people still don't know how to use them, you get the idiots in the right hand lane who want to go left, and vice versa, which means I have seen occasions where they're smashed into one another, in their bid to get where they are going.

DK, it's not just the car drivers who are unaware of bikes, many of the bike riders themselves are totally oblivious as to what is happening around them. I see this ever day at the driving school, where there might be 3 of us practicing in the car park area, but some of these guys are just completely unaware of where on the course the other two rider are! One guy had strips torn off him by an instructor, because he nearly crashed into me on several occasions and forced me to take evasive action.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Driving: Guilt-Innocence vs. Fear-Power May 28, 2011
KeithL wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:
Knight

Thats a load of bull

Official listed BHP output: 197.40 HP (144.1 kW)) @ 9000 RPM
A full specification and review available at Bikez.com Motorcycle Encyclopaedia

Official top speed is not listed (for obvious reasons) however a stock machine in the US was unofficially clocked at 348kmph (just over 200mph) at Daytona in 2010. As it is a V4, the engine is also easily boosted with either NO2 or even a spiral supercharger. The same power unit is used in skidoo racing and pro jet skis.

The bike is a handful even on good days and can get you into a world of trouble very quickly, however is a joy to ride and the acceleration is light speed.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

uaekid wrote:Every subject has to turn into a racist issue… anyway street racers are an every city problem, you just got to have them :) … neither they locals or not are the reason behind ppl not having a sense of driving in a city. you got to adopt to your surround , it’s the basics of survival LOOOOL or in this case take a bus .. I understand this article and agrees with it.. I drove diff in the states , UAE, Cairo and other cities….. just go with flow losers LOL

You're right Kid, i have seen much worse driving than here in Dubai. One of the worst cities for driving is Cairo, the Parisians are bloody maniacs and I was nearly driven of the road in Barcalona by a Police car. The Italians don't know how to park, they abandon and driving in Munich is the best relaxative known to BM.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Driving: Guilt-Innocence vs. Fear-Power May 29, 2011
Sorry nope, I'm not going to 'lower' my driving standards to fit in with the maniacs!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dubai Knight wrote:
KeithL wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:
Knight

Thats a load of bull

Official listed BHP output: 197.40 HP (144.1 kW)) @ 9000 RPM
A full specification and review available at Bikez.com Motorcycle Encyclopaedia

Official top speed is not listed (for obvious reasons) however a stock machine in the US was unofficially clocked at 348kmph (just over 200mph) at Daytona in 2010. As it is a V4, the engine is also easily boosted with either NO2 or even a spiral supercharger. The same power unit is used in skidoo racing and pro jet skis.

The bike is a handful even on good days and can get you into a world of trouble very quickly, however is a joy to ride and the acceleration is light speed.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Additionally, manufacturers now measure an engines available output in HP, after which the static load on an engine from the equipment fitted to that vehicle i.e. Water, Transmission Fluid, Oil pumps and servo’s, running gear, alternators etc, has been taken into consideration, whereas the BHP rating is the engines unloaded power output and typically the BHP rating can be anywhere between 8 and 15% greater than the HP rating.

DK spoke of BHP but quoted official HP ratings.

-- Sun May 29, 2011 11:28 am --

Chocoholic wrote:Sorry nope, I'm not going to 'lower' my driving standards to fit in with the maniacs!

Well I don't know who has suggested that anyone should lower any driving standards? the whole thread is about improving driving standards!

:?
Dillon

Another expample; and it shows its not about Nationality, the guy is probably an Arab expat, he is only 27, but his attitude towards having to pay 20000 dhs per year in fines is "Life goes on and money comes and money goes"
I notice many drivers from all nationalities breaking rules in a very nonchalant way, maybe if they were jailed they wouldnt see it as a "money comes, money goes" issue

Salah Suleiman, a sales manager at an IT company in Abu Dhabi, had 24 black points on his record and his driver's licence was confiscated when he tried to renew his vehicle registration.

On average, Mr Salah, 27, accumulates between Dh15,000 (US$4,083) and Dh20,000 in traffic fines a year. Most of them are for speeding, while a quarter of them are fines for illegal parking, not wearing a seatbelt and talking on a mobile phone while driving.

Mr Salah said recent incidents have made him overly cautious.

"The other day I was talking on the phone while walking, not driving, and when I saw a police officer I told my friend on the line that I had to go," he said. "I only realised what I did afterwards."

But Mr Salah said his wariness could be a short-lived result of having to pay his penalty.

"Life goes on and money comes and money goes," he said. "But recently I've been very worried that these fines will give me problems when it comes time to travel, and it seems that with this recent decision it is very possible. So I'm going to try and be more careful."
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Well they're now clamping down on non-payers of traffic fines according to this:

http://m.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/tra ... n-1.810304
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Driving: Guilt-Innocence Vs. Fear-Power May 29, 2011
Doesnt change much; the person who doesnt pay 5000 in fines may go to jail

The person who pays 30000 dhs in fines will laugh about it over a shisha and then tell newspapers "money comes and money goes so its all cool"
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat