Driving 101

Topic locked
Driving 101 May 26, 2012
i am writing this topic in the perspective of a 'newbie' - one that's just trying to get a driving license now (i know, i know - i should have gotten it a long, long time ago)... so anyway, yesterday was the theory class.

to me, it was just funny how pedestrians & taxis are considered "hazards" to motorists :D every examples cited - i've done them at 1 point in my life... crossing streets NOT using the pedestrian lane... or using the pedestrian lane but still crossing the street on a stop sign :| (dangerous i know but did it anyway at that time for reasons i now don't recall)... about the cabs, never for once did i think of them as hazards, lol! :P as a frequent cab user - they're the "panadol" to every commuter who's in a rush, missed the bus, or running late.

perhaps for now, i don't consider cabs as hazards... but i hope i won't change my opinion once i get my license (or is that being naive??).. we shall soon see :D

littleblackdress
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Driving 101 May 26, 2012
Cab drivers here can be a nightmare. As for pedestrians, they are indeed considered hazards, because they're unpredictable. Don't expect people to stop at pedestrian crossings here - they just don't. Plus guys here deliberately try to off themselves in front of your car to get blood money to send to their families.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

i have been hearing stories about driving in dubai... especially about blood money, fines, & irresponsible motorists too... made me very apprehensive about the whole thing. :?

but hats off to my friends, B & E, for helping me finally make a GO for it :D

and oh, about the blood money - if one runs over a camel in day time, then the blood money is AED 200,000 :shock: at night time though, it's the owner of the camel that would have to pay the blood money... now, one of the attendees jokingly asked the instructor where he could find camels at night time... because for him, even if he works in UAE for 20 years, he could never earn that much amount of AED 200,000.. so better to off someone's camel at night time! it was such a funny discussion yesterday! :D
littleblackdress
Dubai Forum Visitor

Insurance covers the blood money NOT the motorist.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Driving 101 Jun 04, 2012
Cab drivers have been one hell of nightmare for me when I was in Dubai, thanks I am not there anymore :mrgreen:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Driving 101 Jun 04, 2012
sniper420 ,

Looks like you need to travel a little more
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat