Driver's Licensing

Topic locked
Driver's Licensing Oct 01, 2011
I didn't know where this topic belonged, so i hope this will be okay for now.

I just have one question about transferring my US drivers license to a UAE license. RTA has not been able to help me over the phone so i am hoping you guys can help. I want to transfer my US license in Dubai, but my visa was issued in Abu Dhabi and says, "Place of issue: Abu Dhabi." I have been told that i need to drive to AD to transfer my license, even though i live in Dubai and can provide a DEWA bill or residency contract. Is this true? Please someone tell me i don't have to go to AD and just drive a mile up the road in Dubai.

Thanks

desertt67
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Driver's Licensing Oct 01, 2011
desertt67 wrote:Please someone tell me i don't have to go to AD

You don't have to go to AD, happy ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

You need proof that you either work and/or live in Dubai, so tenancy contract, DEWA bill, letter from your company etc. When I did this I had to go and wait around for the Captain of the traffic department as he has final say over whether they will issue you with a Dubai license.

Go to the RTA head quarters and ask them there what exactly you need.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

US license you say? And hopefully a US passport...no problem. Hell, they might even come to your house :)
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Driver's Licensing Oct 02, 2011
yes, a US passport as well...

i have another question, can i drive on the US license until i get my UAE license? I have a resident visa so i am assuming no... i dont want to run into any trouble...
desertt67
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Driver's Licensing Oct 02, 2011
No, if you already have your residence visa, then you MUST have a UAE drivers license.

All you can do is get all your documentation together and take that with your original passport to the RTA office.

Expect it to take a few hours.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat