Does The Heat Make You Stupid???

Topic locked
Does the heat make you stupid??? Jul 17, 2011
All my summer plans have been shelved at the moment. :cry: So I'm in Dubai for the first time during the month of July and possibly August. I have to say July isn't too bad to far. I hybernate in this heat because I find that it makes me tired to be out in it for very long and my afternoon naps go on a bit longer.

Well I had to go out today for a few hours and went to C4 to pick up somethings as I am having a friend over tomorrow and joining her will be someone who we worked with about 11 years ago. I saw her (not the friend, the ex-coworker) briefly the other day and was amazed how great she looked. She has this very Marilyn Monroe hair going and it suits her. She also hasn't gained an ounce since I saw her last!!!!

Anywho, I was keeping a list in my head of what I needed and after having been out and having to walk about in the heat, with a light head I headed over to C4 at MOE. I wanted to try out a recipe tomorrow that requird cornmeal. I know I saw it in Lulu's but wasn't sure about C4. Went up and down the aisles and couldn't find it. Figured I could use polenta as a substitute. Couldn't find that either. Knowing full well the staff isn't much help I proceeded to ask thinking I just may get lucky. First guy was no help - confused look, second guy was no help - confused look, third guy was no help - confused look. It wasn't until the third guy said: Ma'am you want placenta??? :shock: I'm sure if I got it right with all of them none of them would have known where the polenta was, even if they stocked it. :lol:

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Does the heat make you stupid??? Jul 17, 2011
I think it's more the usual case of, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. I'm so tired of stores having staff with zero training or knowledge of the products. Gets tiring.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:I think it's more the usual case of, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Well in your case I have to say, it takes one to know one.

Sorry Bora, not really off topic there, the OP was about the heat making you stupid, was it not?

I'll dare to express an opinion, if Chocs doesn't object. And for those who have missed her repetative posts, I DO NOT LIVE IN DUBAI but, I think the heat makes everybody rather short tempered and where you would have thought the salesman thinking you were looking for placenta, amusing, in 40+c, it just gets on your nerves.

In defence of the staff, I have to say I have no idea what polenta is either, although I do know what a placenta is.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bethsmum wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I think it's more the usual case of, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Well in your case I have to say, it takes one to know one.

Sorry Bora, not really off topic there, the OP was about the heat making you stupid, was it not?

I'll dare to express an opinion, if Chocs doesn't object. And for those who have missed her repetative posts, I DO NOT LIVE IN DUBAI but, I think the heat makes everybody rather short tempered and where you would have thought the salesman thinking you were looking for placenta, amusing, in 40+c, it just gets on your nerves.

In defence of the staff, I have to say I have no idea what polenta is either, although I do know what a placenta is.

No, BM, I was asking for placenta!!!! instead of polenta!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Does the heat make you stupid??? Jul 18, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:No, BM, I was asking for placenta!!!! instead of polenta!!!!

Oh! LOL so you are the stupid one? Guess that makes me stupid aswell for misreading your post. It's been 15c today, I'm not myself :drunken:
Bethsmum

Re: Does The Heat Make You Stupid??? Jul 18, 2011
Its about the same if I asked if where I could find some saroon ka saag at Costco in the US. Asda in UK would have been a whole different story, a brown English man would have promptly showed me the way ;)
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Its about the same if I asked if where I could find some saroon ka saag at Costco in the US. Asda in UK would have been a whole different story, a brown English man would have promptly showed me the way ;)

There's no such thing as a brown Englishman, silly.
Bethsmum

Oh just sod off BM. Sad old wind bag as usual.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Bora Bora wrote:Anywho, I was keeping a list in my head of what I needed and after having been out and having to walk about in the heat, with a light head I headed over to C4 at MOE. I wanted to try out a recipe tomorrow that requird cornmeal. I know I saw it in Lulu's but wasn't sure about C4. Went up and down the aisles and couldn't find it. Figured I could use polenta as a substitute. Couldn't find that either. Knowing full well the staff isn't much help I proceeded to ask thinking I just may get lucky. First guy was no help - confused look, second guy was no help - confused look, third guy was no help - confused look. It wasn't until the third guy said: Ma'am you want placenta??? :shock: I'm sure if I got it right with all of them none of them would have known where the polenta was, even if they stocked it. :lol:

Careful, you'll have SCG on your case with typo's like that one! Talking of Polenta... :shock:

I remember watching, some time ago, one of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's TV shows cooking a human placenta and serving it up to a Mother’s (the donor) family to celebrate the birth of her daughter

The Broadcasting Standards Commission said the episode of TV Dinners, shown in February, breached a taboo and "would have been disagreeable to many". The presenter, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, devised the recipe with mother Rosie Clear for a party to celebrate the birth of her daughter Indi-Mo Krebbs. The placenta was fried with shallots and garlic, flambéed, puréed and served to 20 relatives and friends as a pate on focaccia bread.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/101944.stm

And back on topic, apparrently so! :shock:

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

And the topic would be BM, Chocs, and DDS taking the original topic off track as usual? :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Yes back on topic and very well done to Dillon as an understudy.

Placenta and chips goes down very well.
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

No Beebs, my post was perfectly ON topic.
You can't expect a South Asian to know what the hell polenta is or have ever heard of it. Even your friend has never heard of it, just the same as if anyones asked for an uncommon south Asian ingredient at Costco's.

Do I really have to explain everything ! :D

P.S : You missed Dillon's little ON topic remark
desertdudeshj

My original post was ON topic, it was she who shall not be named who took it off topic.

Good points DDS, you can't expect them to know what Polenta is, however as I said PREVIOUSLY staff should be trained and have product knowledge.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I think it's almost impossible for anyone know the entire inventory, but that is no excuse for the shyte that passes as customer service here. If you don't know ask some one who does or look it up.

I can't help by giggle to myself when I see all those people roaming around with tshirts with "At your service" in stores. On a very few occasions I have tried to ask them something only to kick myself later for wasting my time.
desertdudeshj

Well I refuse to be left out! My post was ON topic too. The OP being about stupidity.

however as I said PREVIOUSLY staff should be trained and have product knowledge

Yes, we heard you the first time.
Bethsmum

Yes, yes, I can see the heat is getting to ALL of you!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I think they know alot about the inventory at Lulu's. I've had people walk me to the product that I was looking for. :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Does The Heat Make You Stupid??? Jul 19, 2011
Then you shouldn't be complaining, if they don't get it right everytime 8)
desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat