Does Anyone Know How Barcode Readers Work??

Topic locked
Does anyone know how barcode readers work?? Aug 11, 2009
I know it reads the lines and the binnary numbers but how is it able to know that this is X object and it needs to go to Y.

Does the operator have to put this information in the software manually?

Got a small project going on, so only useful help will be required :P

rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 11, 2009
You know there's this wonderful thing called 'Google'!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 11, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:You know there's this wonderful thing called 'Google'!

I know there is and i have researched but it doesnt tell you whether you have to input the data about a certain product into a software or database before you can use the barcode.

so I thought maybe some peeps from dubai would know.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 11, 2009
there are lots of barcode formats. the most common are EAN13, UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8.

and those numbers are not just there. first, each registered entity (manufacturer of the product) is assigned some prefix, remaining numbers, and lastly a check digit (based on certain formula).

each barcode scanner brand (symbol, metrologic, etc) has different settings, though in the end it reads the same format.

for more, visit morovia.com

barcode scanner itself can't tell that a particular barcode number is product A or B. it has to be linked to a database containing the products and their barcodes. like when you scan a product in hypermarket, the POS machine itself contains/is linked to a database, to display what product and its price.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 11, 2009
xty wrote:there are lots of barcode formats. the most common are EAN13, UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8.

and those numbers are not just there. first, each registered entity (manufacturer of the product) is assigned some prefix, remaining numbers, and lastly a check digit (based on certain formula).

each barcode scanner brand (symbol, metrologic, etc) has different settings, though in the end it reads the same format.

for more, visit morovia.com

barcode scanner itself can't tell that a particular barcode number is product A or B. it has to be linked to a database containing the products and their barcodes. like when you scan a product in hypermarket, the POS machine itself contains/is linked to a database, to display what product and its price.

so if the barcodes were of formatt EAN13, and the supermarket has a barcode reader which reads this format, tommorow they decide to purchase new barcode readers. They must ensure that the new barcode readers should be able to read formatt EAN13?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 11, 2009
all reputable barcode readers definitely are able to read EAN13 (the most common format). the only thing is to make sure to set it properly (read the manual about prefix, suffix, check digit).

normally a discussion on formats or how the scanner behaves must be agreed between the hardware vendor (barcode scanner) and software developer (POS, logistics, etc).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 11, 2009
xty wrote:all reputable barcode readers definitely are able to read EAN13 (the most common format). the only thing is to make sure to set it properly (read the manual about prefix, suffix, check digit).

normally a discussion on formats or how the scanner behaves must be agreed between the hardware vendor (barcode scanner) and software developer (POS, logistics, etc).

Cool thanks :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 11, 2009
you're welcome.

let me know if someone requires IT-retail/supply chain expert/manager, i've been looking for a job.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 11, 2009
You mean it isn't magic?
Elphaba
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 11, 2009
am i supposed to clap :P
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 11, 2009
I had always thought it was the language of pixies !

Each decoder had a pixie that reads the lines and spaces calling them out and another that translated it into good ol English ?

Thanks for bursting my bubble, shopping will never be the same ....
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 11, 2009
Scan this:

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Aug 11, 2009
viking-warrior wrote:I had always thought it was the language of pixies !
Each decoder had a pixie that reads the lines and spaces calling them out and another that translated it into good ol English ?

more complex 2D barcode format such as PDF417 or DataMatrix contains more information inside. for example the one printed on Emirates ID registration form.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 12, 2009
they don't, it's completely random.

Think of them codes as a pub treasure hunt.

Yours sincerely,
Surreal and messed up dude!
Richardson
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 12, 2009
xty wrote:
viking-warrior wrote:I had always thought it was the language of pixies !

more complex 2D barcode format such as PDF417 or DataMatrix contains more information inside. for example the one printed on Emirates ID registration form.

XTY, do you nkow how to establish a look up relationship between your the barcode reader and the database where the information about the product is kept.

I have a barcode reader which reads a barcode and shows me the number i.e 24867920, which is the same number as the barcode of some product.

Now I want it to be able to read the barcode and then display on the screen what 24867920 mean. for example 24 could be first name, 86 could be surname, 79 could be city and 20 could be the country. so when it looks up 24 in the database it will return Ahmed in the first name field of the form and so on.

But not sure how to do this look up relationship and where it should be established. Do you know or do you think you can point out to some websites which might be able to help me out?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 12, 2009
Lots of things to look, my friend. But it all depends on the software application you use/build.
Are you a software developer? What development tools? What database? What kind of application?

Basically the scanner is nothing more than regular keyboard, it scan and display the numbers. Just like when you type.

The application/script read these number, parse/split the numbers "string" (as you predefined the whole logic of it), the application connects to the database, then it read and search (ex: by SQL=Structured Query Language) from a predefined table containing the code. When it finds, the script grab the other data you require (ex: the name) and pass it back to the application front-end to be displayed or processed further.

Find some articles or take a course about software development, programming, database, SQL, etc. Don't bother about the scanner, it's just another tool to "type".
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 13, 2009
From your response, you obviously know what your talking about. Nothing wrong with that at all but sorry,,,, zzz bored! If I told you about what I did, you'd be bored too, so, respect dude

:wink:
Richardson
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat