Credit Card Fraud

Topic locked
Credit Card Fraud Sep 11, 2008
Checking by bank statements online I don't appear to have been affected by the card fraud panic sweeping the UAE.
No strange withdrawls from my account, no change to my usual withdrawl pattern.

So why on earth would Citibank decide to randomly cancel my ATM card as a precaution, reorder a new card for me and not even bother to inform me of their kind hearted gesture??

The only reason I'm posing the question on here is because after over an hour waiting to speak to their customer support people last night after my card had been refused in a couple of shops and several ATM machines the woman I spoke to couldn't explain it to me.

Are the banks all over-reacting or what ?

If they even think about trying to charge me for a new card....... :twisted:

CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 12, 2008
May be citibank just knows that someone stole their database with credit cards...
thats just a may be you know ;)

What card fraud panic are you talking about?
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Sep 13, 2008
my cards have been frozen too, apparently ther is a massive fraud apoeration going on
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 13, 2008
maximusprime wrote:my cards have been frozen too, apparently ther is a massive fraud apoeration going on

With which bank is your credit card?
For some time I can't add credits to my master card and I'm afraid it can be frozen too. :(
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Sep 13, 2008
I use standard chartered, they sent me an sms saying I need to change my pin because there is some huge fraud scheme going on. I went to the branch and they said everyones is frozen but the ams still work. I have also been having trouble with my chase mastercard.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 14, 2008
The biggest credit card fraud in the UAE is being perpetrated by the banks themselves.

When you get that call offering you a nice shiny new credit card with a bottomless limit and free this and that, ask the person on the phone EXACTLY who they work for, NOT who they represent. Remember that when you supply all those copies of your bank statements, the person on the other end of the phone can give that information to whoever they like without your knowledge.

9 times out of 10, you are sending it to a promotions agency. To a fax machine in open circulation in an office that has no link to the credit card company. You might like to point out to the sales person that the International Banking Charter and International Law clearly states that the ONLY people allowed to view your personal financial statements are you, your bank and the police, but even then only if they have secured a court order to do so.

The international banking charter is simply a piece of paper gathering breadcrumbs in the bottom of some banking minions drawer in this part of the world.

Beware.

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat