Cheetah In Abu Dhabi Streets...

Topic locked
Cheetah in Abu Dhabi streets... May 30, 2011
apparently they found a cheetah roaming the streets of Abu Dhabi...injured, broken paw, etc.

Hopefully they'll find the idiot who kept it and break his paws

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Cheetah in Abu Dhabi streets... May 30, 2011
Saw that, although it wasn't clear if it escaped from a wildlife sanctuary. More than likely some fool had it as a pet and let it out - wouldn't be the first time.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Cheetah In Abu Dhabi Streets... May 30, 2011
I can't believe it is legal for anyone besides a zoo or wildlife sanctuary to keep such animals. Hopefully the animal will recover and find a good home.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

It isn't unusual for locals to have exotic pets. Beth's little friend has 3 tiger (or is it Cheetah?) cubs as pets. He says he will just put them in the zoo when they get too big.
Years ago I saw a local walking his Cheetah along the beach and not long ago I saw one in the back seat of a car when I was crossing the road on the Walk.

People in England have unsuitable animals too.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

It may not be unusual, but it is unethical. There is a reason why some animals don't make good pets, and people should pay attention to that instead of their own selfish whims to own one because they want one or because they get some sort of status for having them.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Big cats and other such animals belong in the wild! No question! You can't keep an animal that requires hundreds of kilometers of roaming area in a villa!

And I agree with K, people who would have such creatures 'because they can' are completely selfish. Not to mention that many of those that have them, do so illegally! The majority of big cats will be on the CITES and endangered lists. Most will have been smuggled in. Note the story recently where a man was picked up in Thailand, bound for the UAE with about 6 illegal animals drugged and stuffed in suitcases!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Big cats and other such animals belong in the wild! No question! You can't keep an animal that requires hundreds of kilometers of roaming area in a villa!

And I agree with K, people who would have such creatures 'because they can' are completely selfish. Not to mention that many of those that have them, do so illegally! The majority of big cats will be on the CITES and endangered lists. Most will have been smuggled in. Note the story recently where a man was picked up in Thailand, bound for the UAE with about 6 illegal animals drugged and stuffed in suitcases!

Keep your wig on Chocs, I didn't say it was right but it happens.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Wonder how long till they find a roaming grizzly bear
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

I knew Chococock would have heard of it first. She always has something great to add, something more that you. Maybe she'll start to learn something rather than telling everyone how she already knew. Is there anything she doesn't know? Chocs we are so very lucky luck lucky to have you here to tell us and give so much insight into the place the place we all live in. Wow.
smokedawg
Dubai Forums Frequenter

^^ ??? ,

Ms Smokedawg , try this I hear its more effective --

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Cheetah In Abu Dhabi Streets... May 31, 2011
I shoot yaba straight, thanks.
smokedawg
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Cheetah in Abu Dhabi streets... May 31, 2011
Was reading an update on this story, apparently the poor animal had a chain around it's neck weighing a kilo, a fractured paw and had been declawed. The authorities are trying to hunt down the owner as owning these animals is illegal.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Cheetah In Abu Dhabi Streets... Jun 01, 2011
Did they check the cheetah's stomach contents? Hopefully they'll find the owner there. ;)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Did they check the cheetah's stomach contents? Hopefully they'll find the owner there. ;)

LOL - apparently the owner was taking it to the vet. Now here's the thing, obviously the vet treating the animal was also acting illegally by not reporting it either.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

My vet on beach rd treated the Sheikh's baby cheetahs. I was in the waiting room and saw the doc and nurse go by holding one each.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Cheetah in Abu Dhabi streets... Jun 01, 2011
And this doesn't help - well done the Thai police NOT:

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news ... and-police
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

how dare the Thais detain an honorable man? He had the right to go where he wants, he is just a businessman for exotic animals, too bad the Thais dont understand business
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:how dare the Thais detain an honorable man? He had the right to go where he wants, he is just a businessman for exotic animals, too bad the Thais dont understand business

LOL - cheeky bugger though.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat