Celebrity Adoptions, Whats Your Say?

Topic locked
Celebrity adoptions, Whats your say? Oct 21, 2006
Madonna's adoption of the little David banda, an yr old baby boy from Malawi, has stirred a whole lot of criticism and controversy. What are your views on the topic?

St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 21, 2006
If she can provide him with a better, safer, healthier life than the one he was living before....I dont see a problem. So a few rules could have been broken in her case...tell me when people didnt bend/break rules for rich, powerful, famous people....
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 21, 2006
ya i didn't get it..is the problem that she picked him from a line or that the country’s' law r against it..?!!
mema
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 21, 2006
I'm not against it, but there are issues related with it, Celebs are huge trendsetters, then it would be good that more and more people reachout to help the poor. But there's a bad side to it. It opens up the doors for human trafficking, that may also be a thing for the critcs.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 21, 2006
Well, it is obvious that famous people have the money to support the children, but if they are busy with their careers they end up being raised mostly by nannies and aides, so I don't think they really get a "normal" life in the end.

I suppose that life is better for them anyway, so I can't knock it.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 21, 2006
Hey K .. u back in dubai..? Yep true said.. that is another thing that people dont see.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 21, 2006
Seems you can buy anything these days.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 21, 2006
Double post
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 21, 2006
Its not just about buying someone. I have a lot of sympathy for the children in Africa, they are always to ones who suffer the most through their respective Gov's greed and corruption.

I would imagine that the childs village got a fair amount of "stuff" as a result of the adoption. Also, to my mind, I hope that whatever it cost, it has gone to the source and not in some Gov official's coffers.

I too would adopt a child from Africa, and may very well do it in the near future.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 21, 2006
If she wants to do something for the country than do something for the country. The amount of money she earns she could put together a program that could help these people improve their quality of life overall.

Instead she goes and picks one out like a toy and thinks she is saving the world.
^ian^

Oct 21, 2006
Well, celebrities have a way of doing things.. I mean its already become a very popular thing to adopt babies from affrica.. which started and got popular coz of celebrity adoption.. So its not at all like buying a toy. and I dont think that its got anything to do with publicity..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 21, 2006
Well, if it turns out famous people are only adopting from Africa, then it does look a bit more like trend and not sincerity about the plight of orphans in general. I mean, there are orphans in the US, UK, China, Romania, Russia etc. that famous people can adopt from...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 21, 2006
Kanelli,

Adoption rules in most western Countries is very, very strict. There are a huge number of procedures and tests you have to go through before adoption i.e. it is normally the last option after IVF and all the other treatments around, what I think I am trying to say is that parents have to prove they can no longer have kids themselves.

In Africa, Eastern Europe and Asia, these rules are often "ignored" when $$$$$ are on the table.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 21, 2006
Im planning on adopting a child...but not from africa.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 21, 2006
^ian^ wrote:If she wants to do something for the country than do something for the country. The amount of money she earns she could put together a program that could help these people improve their quality of life overall.

Instead she goes and picks one out like a toy and thinks she is saving the world.

Not true Ian, please do some home work first. Madonna was in Malawi because she has just paid for an orphanage to be built there, and has pumped hundreds of thousands of dollars into helping children ni the country.

I think it's really crap to be giving Madonna a hard time, it is well known that she and her hubby have been trying for a 3rd baby for a long time now, but clearly it's not going to happen for them, so adoption is another option, and why not give an underprivilaged chold a chance. The flack has come because the boys biological father and uncle are still alive.

No-one gave Angelina Jolie this much hassle when she adopted her kids from Cambodia and Africa!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 21, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:
^ian^ wrote:If she wants to do something for the country than do something for the country. The amount of money she earns she could put together a program that could help these people improve their quality of life overall.

Not true Ian, please do some home work first. Madonna was in Malawi because she has just paid for an orphanage to be built there, and has pumped hundreds of thousands of dollars into helping children ni the country.

I think it's really crap to be giving Madonna a hard time, it is well known that she and her hubby have been trying for a 3rd baby for a long time now, but clearly it's not going to happen for them, so adoption is another option, and why not give an underprivilaged chold a chance. The flack has come because the boys biological father and uncle are still alive.

No-one gave Angelina Jolie this much hassle when she adopted her kids from Cambodia and Africa!

Well, it all depends on her motives. Who really knows? It's not like the press to tell the whole story.

Still, I like her music, not that I necessarily like her.
^ian^

Oct 21, 2006
Well I'd say Angelina is probably worse, she has afterall admitted to wanting a family all colours of the rainbow from all around the world. Yet no-one bats and eyelid there.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 23, 2006
I don't see a problem with it. One child who will have a "chance".

Those against it remind me of these radical anti-abortion idiots who will be the last to help out or adopt an unwanted baby but continue to insist the child must be born (regardless of the circumstances, etc.)
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 23, 2006
It's just because she is Madona, but hey what kind of role model is she for a child, and I see now all of a sudden a Father has risen up, I wonder what happened, now someone told him Madona was rich and he can get some more money.
I am all for decent people adopting 3rd World Orphans and giving them a better chance in life, but are we really sure this is what Madona will do???
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat