Basic Human Dignity ?

Topic locked
Basic Human Dignity ? Jul 20, 2009
Let me get this clear; I fully understand why there are laws against unmarried women giving births. What I do not get at all is how people expect a hospital to turn away a woman in labor pains, just because she is not married?

Is it prescribed in our religion that such births shouldnt be supervised so that the child/mother are at serious risk of death?

Note: I am not complaining about the arrest; I am complaining about the fact that the hospital was expected to turn away a woman giving birth from its doors and call police.....

Isn't this basic human dignity?

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Police_a ... 32957.html

Sharjah: A woman was arrested in a private hospital after she confessed to having given birth to an illegitimate baby, police told Gulf News.

The Iranian woman, in her late 20s, went last week to Al Zahra hospital to give birth. The woman, who was in labour, went alone to the hospital, which admitted her.

"The woman paid Dh5,000 to the hospital as delivery charges," police said. Immediately after she gave birth, the hospital informed police that the woman was not married. Police said the hospital should have informed them immediately.

"They should not accept such cases of unmarried pregnant women," police said.

A spokesman from the hospital confirmed that the woman was admitted to Al Zahra hospital a week ago.

"She was in labour so she was admitted immediately to the operation room," the spokesman said. The spokesman said there was no time to inform police.

"We have to charge her for the delivery," he said.

The spokesman said when hospital staff asked the woman about her documents and her husband she told them she was not married and that she was giving birth to an illegitimate baby. "At this point we informed police," he said.

The woman was taken to Al Qasimi hospital where she was kept for a few days. The woman and her baby are now being detained at Sharjah central jail. The woman has not revealed the name of her partner.

"We have to check if she is here on a visit visa or with her family," police said. The case has been transferred to the public prosecutor for further investigations.

BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Basic Human Dignity ? Jul 20, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:I fully understand why there are laws against unmarried women giving births.

I don´t. It is one of the craziest and sickest things I ever heard about...laws against unmarried women giving births...Well at least they didn´t give her lashes in Sharjah, or did they?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 20, 2009
What I meant was that unmarried women giving births translates to relations outside marriage, at least in the UAE. So as much bad as it sounds the mother may be arrested after birth.

However, my beef was with the belief that a woman on the verge of giving birth should be handed over to police instead of being allowed into a hospital simply because she was unmarried...
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 20, 2009
This is why there are so many reported and unreported cases of dead and abandoned babies being found in the UAE. I guess the religious viewpoint in this country is that having s.e.x only in a marriage takes priority over human life. I wonder if God would really agree...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jul 20, 2009
kanelli wrote:This is why there are so many reported and unreported cases of dead and abandoned babies being found in the UAE. I guess the religious viewpoint in this country is that having s.e.x only in a marriage takes priority over human life. I wonder if God would really agree...

You are confusing the issues ....

Issue 1:

Whether people having relations outside wedlock are commiting a crime

Issue 2:

Whether a pregnant woman (who is unmarried) should be refused entry to a hospital and handed over to police

One can think Issue 1 is a crime and still care for human life (by not agreeing with Issue 2)
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 20, 2009
This is a sheer and utter disgrace!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 20, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:
kanelli wrote:This is why there are so many reported and unreported cases of dead and abandoned babies being found in the UAE. I guess the religious viewpoint in this country is that having s.e.x only in a marriage takes priority over human life. I wonder if God would really agree...

You are confusing the issues ....

Issue 1:

Whether people having relations outside wedlock are commiting a crime

Issue 2:

Whether a pregnant woman (who is unmarried) should be refused entry to a hospital and handed over to police

One can think Issue 1 is a crime and still care for human life (by not agreeing with Issue 2)

Many women who are pregnant out of wedlock who can't leave and birth in another country may try to stay below the radar here so they won't be arrested. This can make for negative outcomes for many babies...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jul 20, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:This is a sheer and utter disgrace!

Come on guys, there's no law that forbids a hospital from admitting a pregnant woman even if she's unmarried. It's just that the police have to be informed but such cases. For the safety of the child, the mother and the community. The child could be a result of a rape case, the mom might try to get rid of the baby, or the mom might get killed by her family in the name of the family's honor ( Damn ppl who do that)

UAE is a Muslim Arab country, these are the rules.

Chocoholic, dont get carried away. I know you better than this. :)
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 20, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:This is a sheer and utter disgrace!

Come on guys, there's no law that forbids a hospital from admitting a pregnant woman even if she's unmarried. It's just that the police have to be informed but such cases. For the safety of the child, the mother and the community. The child could be a result of a rape case, the mom might try to get rid of the baby, or the mom might get killed by her family in the name of the family's honor ( Damn ppl who do that)

UAE is a Muslim Arab country, these are the rules.

Chocoholic, dont get carried away. I know you better than this. :)

You retard try being sensible for once. It's simple you could start by reading the article?
The cops clearly chastised the hospital for accepting the case.
The mom was not in the hospital to do an abortion, she was there to give birth, and only once the baby is registered can he/she leave the hospital.
And if you knew a thing or two bout women( which you evidently don't) you'd know that pregnancy and childbirth does not happen overnight!
Unless the woman makes a statement stating otherwise there is no need for you to make crappy assumptions.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 20, 2009
funny non of you ppl questioned why she was quite for 9 months ?
beside no one turned her away, she delivered the baby and she is in a specialized jail for women with babies... where did they go wrong ?

I can't see why you expect ( a country ) to treat law breakers who breaks the law on purpose !!! or is it just the usual bashing ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 20, 2009
MCL, how insecure do u feel??? you're very defensive and aggressive. You attack and insult others. What's wrong with you?? This is not the way to make a point. This is a very backward and barbaric way that can't come from mature and educated people.

How old are you dude and where are you from and what do you do?
You make a great case study. I'm very curious. PM me.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 20, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:MCL, how insecure do u feel??? you're very defensive and aggressive. You attack and insult others. What's wrong with you?? This is not the way to make a point. This is a very backward and barbaric way that can't come from mature and educated people.

I think it's you that's feeling insecure. I never attacked you, apart for pointing out facts. It's you that's resorted to name calling and such.
I only asked you how old you are? Owing to the immaturity of your posts.
Do try and read your previous posts.
It's hilarious to see you use words grossly out of propotion. Define barbaric.......

I'd make a case study? HA! For what? Do you even know what ur talking about? I mean if there was some one educated and qualified , then sure why not. From all of your posts on this forum, it's quite evident that you're someone who makes irresponsible statements and is seldom capable of logic. You are someone easily wayled, unexposed and hence mostly unrealistic.
That's the truth and it may sting!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 20, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:MCL, how insecure do u feel??? you're very defensive and aggressive. You attack and insult others. What's wrong with you?? This is not the way to make a point. This is a very backward and barbaric way that can't come from mature and educated people.

I think it's you that's feeling insecure. I never attacked you, apart for pointing out facts. It's you that's resorted to name calling and such.
It's hilarious to see you use words grossly out of propotion. Define barbaric.......

I'd make a case study? HA! For what? Do you even know what ur talking about? I mean if there was some one educated and qualified , then sure why not. From all of your posts on this forum, it's quite evident that you're someone who makes irresponsible statements and is seldom capable of logic. You are someone easily wayled, unexposed and hence mostly unrealistic.

Thanks for proving my point, again!
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 20, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:

I see this is you doing what you do best, Bowing Out! :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Basic Human Dignity ? Jul 20, 2009
Sad and stupid. I think the hospital did the right thing by immediately admitting her.

However, she and her child would now have to spend time in a cell - thats the dsigraceful part. They should have a special home for such cases.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 20, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:

I see this is you doing what you do best, Bowing Out! :lol:

Seriously dude, PM me. I need to see where all that anger and hatred come from. There's a very interesting story behind your attitude.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 20, 2009
Metaphor, you are fast becoming the community clown. Quit rambling!
And no that's not anger, it's simply me mocking you!

Your vocabulary seems alrit on the surface, but most of the words you spit out are absolutely out of context.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 20, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Metaphor, you are fast becoming the community clown. Quit rambling!
And no that's not anger, it's simply me mocking you!

Your vocabulary seems alrit on the surface, but most of the words you spit out are absolutely out of context.

I apologize for the inappropriate use of vocabulary.

So in the comfort of your home or office away from any personal or face to face encounter, you’re the strong guy on the forum; you mock, attack and insult others. You feel confident and really someone to be feared. Can’t blame you, after all you’re in charge in here, nobody can mess with you. Man! that must feel real good, right? Please tell me more about it.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 20, 2009
if the lady didnt want 2 keep the baby she could easily do this,, but she waited 9 mnths and went 2 deliver so she wants it no matter the case she got it.

I believe if their point of view and beliefs was islam and religious then they should quit many thngs going on in the country.
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 20, 2009
While the situation is sad, she did break the law in the end.

I can understand how it would be difficult for most of us on here to accept, but the lady was admitted into the hospital and gave birth to her child. The cops are just doing their jobs.

This is an Islamic country, and while certain religious aspects are overlooked to attract/satisfy the expatriates who come to work and visit here, you surely can't expect us to to abolish all our beliefs. In Islam, it is forbidden to have relations outside of marriage - meaning an unmarried woman giving birth is kind of a big deal, and her child wont be entitled to the same benefits that a married woman's child would. That's just how it works here because of our religion, which, coincidentally is all for protecting the woman and her best interests. Most may not see it that way, but that's what a majority of Muslims believe to be true.

Of course situations out of the woman's control that would lead up to her being pregnant and giving birth is something different all together...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 20, 2009
And before anyone brings up that some locals/arabs/muslims drink, date, and sleep with people re-read what I wrote...

While it's true that they do those things, it is still against the law for them as well. Yes, perhaps the law isn't enforced on certain aspects (drinking) as heavily as having relations with someone outside of marriage, it is still against the law and religion and is expected to be followed.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 21, 2009
Wht if she just wanted to have that baby whatever happens to her? What if she was above prejudicies and followed her God, not religion? Just a suggestion.
Leda
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 21, 2009
Leda wrote:Wht if she just wanted to have that baby whatever happens to her? What if she was above prejudicies and followed her God, not religion? Just a suggestion.

If she wants to have the baby, by all means let her - but it's still against the law here for an unmarried woman to give birth outside special circumstances.

If she followed her God, she would be following her religion and as far as I'm aware most religions are against relations outside of marriage - and again, it's still against the law here to have a child out of wedlock.

The law isn't put in place to force people to convert religions - if you read my post you should understand that. It is the law of THIS country which follows Islamic Shariaa and it SHOULD be followed. That's the way it works here and all around the world - YOU ARE EXPECTED TO FOLLOW THE LAWS OF THE COUNTRY, no if's and's or but's...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 21, 2009
bushra21 wrote:
Leda wrote:Wht if she just wanted to have that baby whatever happens to her? What if she was above prejudicies and followed her God, not religion? Just a suggestion.

If she wants to have the baby, by all means let her - but it's still against the law here for an unmarried woman to give birth outside special circumstances.

If she followed her God, she would be following her religion and as far as I'm aware most religions are against relations outside of marriage - and again, it's still against the law here to have a child out of wedlock.

The law isn't put in place to force people to convert religions - if you read my post you should understand that. It is the law of THIS country which follows Islamic Shariaa and it SHOULD be followed. That's the way it works here and all around the world - YOU ARE EXPECTED TO FOLLOW THE LAWS OF THE COUNTRY, no if's and's or but's...

Well said Bushra.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 21, 2009
I just wonder how long she is going to be in prison win the newborn for such serious crime.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 21, 2009
bushra21 wrote:

Bushra, read some books on the subject of imagination: helps narrow minded. Millions die because of ones like u, who struggle to understand that there is one God and those are religions that devide us. How convinient it is not to question the circumstances and yourself, just to follow the instructions, not even guidelines: no responsibilities beard. Very comfortable for hypocrites and cowards.
Leda
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 21, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I just wonder how long she is going to be in prison win the newborn for such serious crime.
Those notorious cryminals deserve to be stoned to death, don't they!!!
Leda
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 21, 2009
Double post
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 21, 2009
poor she,,, she sounds new to the country and mayb didnt think it will go that bad.

wat is the situation f she was raped will the police belive this?? or they will tell her that she should told them in the same mint??
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 21, 2009
Leda wrote:Bushra, read some books on the subject of imagination: helps narrow minded. Millions die because of ones like u, who struggle to understand that there is one God and those are religions that devide us. How convinient it is not to question the circumstances and yourself, just to follow the instructions, not even guidelines: no responsibilities beard. Very comfortable for hypocrites and cowards.

First off, I am anything but narrow minded. Those who know me can attest to that as well as tell you I am far from being both a hypocrite or a coward as you so eloquently stated. I answered your post/suggestions in a respectable manner and would appreciate the same from you. If you cannot converse in a civilized tone and refrain from using name calling and wrongly labeling me - well, I feel sorry for you because it only shows how YOU are the narrow minded, hypocritical, coward that you accuse me and 'people like me' of being.

Now, on to the topic of people who believe in God but follow no religion, since as you say, religion was only set to split people apart.

Since I am a Muslim and have been blessed to have a parental figure who has not only devoted most of his life to truly studying the religion of Islam and how it should be practiced but also educate those around him on how to do so; I am confident enough in my knowledge of this religion to reference it when need be and will only speak on what I have read and studied of other religions (admittedly my knowledge in those is far less, so if I am mistaken anyone please feel free to correct me).

As a Muslim, I am not allowed to judge neither fellow Muslims or those who practice other religions or belong to the various other denominations/spiritual faiths (i believe is what it is called) - Islam is very clear on this and that ONLY GOD Himself can judge when that time arises. In Islam, individuals who practice Judaism and Christianity are referred to as 'People of the Book', and upon further reading/research into these religions it is obvious that all three (Islam, Judaism, Christianity) strike a remarkable resemblance to one another in many aspects of faith and the morals set for the followers to live by. It is my opinion, that religion is NOT to blame for the wrong-doings and dividing of people/nations, but the people themselves and how they interpret what is taught and set forth in these and many other religions - taking certain aspects of them to extremes. Just as there are both good and bad people in the world, there are (moderate)believers and extremists of all religions and walks of life.

Seeing as how Islam has taught me that, as you have previously stated, there is only one God - I do not understand why you seem to think I or the 'people like me' would struggle with understanding this. This is a core belief in the Islamic religion, which goes back to the previous paragraph in which I briefly state that as Muslims we are required to refrain from judging those of different beliefs and the similarities that are found in the basics of all monotheistic religions.

Those who follow God, yet refrain from adhering to a set religion/spiritual faith, I have found to also share the same moral code and ethics set forth by religion. This would take a much longer post and require more time on my part to explain in detail, but I believe - or hope that you are capable of understanding this simple concept and what it is I mean by moral code and ethics.

Now that I feel I have addressed your 'points', and yes I list them as 'points' because you seem to be just stating things as a form of attacking me rather than making an intelligent argument or debate, I have some suggestions of my own to give.

You mentioned I should read some books on the subject of imagination - I'd be more than happy to do so since I love to read and would welcome any suggestions. I suggest you read some books on how to effectively discuss an argument/debate, how to state and respectfully argue your beliefs, and most importantly some books on grammar and spelling.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat