Ask A Question!

Topic locked
Oct 22, 2006
isabela wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
isabela wrote:i wonder why my total post is only 98 ..well 99 now...??

i think the last time i log out i posted my 100th message on your thread.

this is because of the deletion of the "write about the person above you" thread.

ok then :(

so ...just for my 100 post again..

do you like pink - color not the singer?

Well, it's not on my list of favourite colours, but yeah, pink is ok. I wouldn't wear a pink shirt though, when there are so many other colours I prefer.

I like the singer too, for the record.

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 22, 2006
[/quote]
do you like pink - color not the singer?[/quote]

Well, it's not on my list of favourite colours, but yeah, pink is ok. I wouldn't wear a pink shirt though, when there are so many other colours I prefer.

I like the singer too, for the record.[/quote]

but you like pink in your avatar right?
isabela
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 22, 2006
isabela wrote:

Well, it's just a contrasting colour I picked. I have quite a lot of avatars.
^ian^

Oct 22, 2006
OK. Where does "OK" come from. It's OK if you don't know :wink:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 22, 2006
Concord wrote:OK. Where does "OK" come from. It's OK if you don't know :wink:

In this instance I will refer to http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/okay.htm which has some outline of the potential origins of Okay/OK.

I wouldn't take this as Gospel OK?
^ian^

Oct 22, 2006
Concord wrote:OK. Where does "OK" come from. It's OK if you don't know :wink:

never thought about that...hmm..very interesting.... i need to know the anser to this one:D
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Oct 22, 2006
ETYMOLOGY:
Abbreviation of oll korrect, slang respelling of all correct

WORD HISTORY:
OK is a quintessentially American term that has spread from English to many other languages. Its origin was the subject of scholarly debate for many years until Allen Walker Read showed that OK is based on a joke of sorts. OK is first recorded in 1839 but was probably in circulation before that date. During the 1830s there was a humoristic fashion in Boston newspapers to reduce a phrase to initials and supply an explanation in parentheses. Sometimes the abbreviations were misspelled to add to the humor. OK was used in March 1839 as an abbreviation for all correct, the joke being that neither the O nor the K was correct. Originally spelled with periods, this term outlived most similar abbreviations owing to its use in President Martin Van Buren's 1840 campaign for reelection. Because he was born in Kinderhook, New York, Van Buren was nicknamed Old Kinderhook, and the abbreviation proved eminently suitable for political slogans. That same year, an editorial referring to the receipt of a pin with the slogan O.K. had this comment: "frightful letters ... significant of the birth-place of Martin Van Buren, old Kinderhook, as also the rallying word of the Democracy of the late election, 'all correct' .... Those who wear them should bear in mind that it will require their most strenuous exertions ... to make all things O.K."
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Oct 22, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
isabela wrote:

it looks cute though...don't u think its a nice background on my avatar as well?

and you know...my avatar should be a hugging elephant...after i saved it, the animation stop...so what should i do, i need to save and upload the animation?
isabela
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 22, 2006
isabela wrote:
^ian^ wrote:
isabela wrote:

it looks cute though...don't u think its a nice background on my avatar as well?

and you know...my avatar should be a hugging elephant...after i saved it, the animation stop...so what should i do, i need to save and upload the animation?

Well, not being an expert on Avatars, I think yours is fine. Pink I guess is a very feminine colour, so one would hope that is the meaning you want to get across.

As for the animation, due to the upload limit of 10k, you'd probably need to link an animated gif from another site as many have done.
^ian^

Oct 22, 2006
Next page :evil:
^ian^

Oct 22, 2006
why am i all of a sudden making double, triple, and umm quadruple (sp?) posts? whats wrong with df? it wont even let me post sometimes.

also, dr.d....how can i find out who is hacking into my account?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 22, 2006
bushra21 wrote:why am i all of a sudden making double, triple, and umm quadruple (sp?) posts? whats wrong with df? it wont even let me post sometimes.

also, dr.d....how can i find out who is hacking into my account?

Not sure about the multiple posts, but the forum is behaving very badly. This happens sometimes when you delete a lot of posts on these phpboards.

As for who is hacking into your account, it depends on whether they're hacking in through your computer or just into the forum.

A competent IT professional like SmartD should be able to help you.
^ian^

Oct 22, 2006
i think somthings wrong with this thread :?
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Oct 22, 2006
d3vilish_ang3l_88 wrote:i think somthings wrong with this thread :?

Yeah it's a little bonkers since quite a lot of the posts were deleted.
^ian^

Oct 22, 2006
yeah..i know wht u mean ..... i press the sumbit button once..i its like i posted three or two.. :evil: it gets annoying ..
d3vilish_ang3l_88
Dubai chat master

Oct 26, 2006
Scenario: a high speed police chase (Grand Theft Auto style but real) where the escaping criminal is driving his car through city streets trying to run away not just from the police vehicles following but the police helicopters watching his every moves from above. Question: How can the fugitive ditch the helicopters?
freza
Dubai chat master

Oct 26, 2006
freza wrote:Scenario: a high speed police chase (Grand Theft Auto style but real) where the escaping criminal is driving his car through city streets trying to run away not just from the police vehicles following but the police helicopters watching his every moves from above. Question: How can the fugitive ditch the helicopters?

Hrmm, this is an interesting scenario. The best way to ditch helicopters has always been (in Hollywood) through a tunnel or underground car park. If possible, you could do the Knight Rider method, where you actually drive the car into the back of a moving semi-trailer in a tunnel - assuming you are well resourced.

Another way would be to head to an area with a lot of overhead powerlines. This makes dangerous work for helicopters.

A 3rd and final idea might be to head to the airport area, where the restricted airspace might prevent helicopter flying.
^ian^

Oct 26, 2006
most bridges in the US have sewer grates, get far enough from the road cops and find a bridge, slam on the brakes, cops can't see what you're doing and disappear in the grates.

Throw a shoe in the near by bush to throw the dogs off.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 26, 2006
fayz wrote:most bridges in the US have sewer grates, get far enough from the road cops and find a bridge, slam on the brakes, cops can't see what you're doing and disappear in the grates.

Throw a shoe in the near by bush to throw the dogs off.

A shoe?
^ian^

Oct 26, 2006
cool, thanks!
freza
Dubai chat master

Oct 26, 2006
freza wrote:cool, thanks!

You wanted to know this why? :shock:
^ian^

Oct 26, 2006
^ian^ wrote:

better to be prepared than caught :wink:
freza
Dubai chat master

Oct 26, 2006
freza wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

better to be prepared than caught :wink:

OK. If you do get caught, all Dr. D. advice comes with a no liability disclaimer.

I do however know a good New York lawyer who can help you out if you get yourself into trouble.
^ian^

Oct 26, 2006
Next Page :evil:
^ian^

Oct 26, 2006
Next Page :evil:
^ian^

Oct 26, 2006
Dr. D,

From my position, Longitude 25°13'N Latitude55°17'E at sea level, how much force should I use, in what direction, and when should I launch a 100-pound steel ball in order to be able to put it into orbit around neptune on february 19, 2020?

Thanks!
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Oct 26, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:Dr. D,

From my position, Longitude 25°13'N Latitude55°17'E at sea level, how much force should I use, in what direction, and when should I launch a 100-pound steel ball in order to be able to put it into orbit around neptune on february 19, 2020?

Thanks!

See Pinoy, as a Dr. I am skilled with the ability to see the question within the question.

The answer you really seek is 17.

You can thank me later today when you realise it's significance.

:D
^ian^

Oct 26, 2006
pinoy1 wrote:Dr. D,

Thanks!

Of course this also raises other issues too. Apart from 17 (which holds much significance for you today, wait and see), what you are trying to perform is almost impossible.

Launching a single 100 pound steel ball from the planet would require about 180,000 pounds of vertical thrust for 17 minutes, however, in order to get it into orbit around Neptune, thrust alone isn't going to work.

A steel ball has no capabilities on its own to change it's direction, and even relying on the gravitational sling of Neptune, calculating the correct vector to arrive in orbit, slow down and maintain orbit, taking into account also the gravitational vectors of the sun, Jupiter, Saturn and of course something from Uranus, I would say you have far bigger problems than getting the steel ball off the ground.
^ian^

Oct 26, 2006
I think you are right about the other factors that I need to consider. Actually, I've already done several calculations considering these factors, and the closest I could get to make it orbit around neptune is to have it smash into Ganymede. Maybe 17 is indeed the answer! i'll try to ponder on its true meaning, Dr. D. Thanks! :wink:
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Oct 26, 2006
What's the most difficult question? :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat