Are You A Clothing Horder???

Topic locked
Are you a clothing horder??? Jan 28, 2012
Last night I had a chat with Mr BB about cleaning out his closets. I told him that he must have been raised with owning 1 pair of shoes, 2 pairs of socks, 2 shirts and 2 pair of pants. I don't mind that, in my opinion, his need for shoes, socks and shirts and suits (bot tailor made), is excessive, but he can't seem to get around to letting go and getting rid of those shirts and suits that he will NEVER fit into again. I could have two empty closets if he just got rid of all the unused items.

All his shirts are monogramed so I would have to find someone with the same intials. :drunken: Although, that reminds me of a story some years ago. Mr BB introduced me to a co-worker by the name of "AB". When I met this person again he had a shirt on with a monogram on the pocket that was "EF". Now this threw me off so I asked Mr BB to confirm his name, which he said was "AB", and I mentioned that his shirt had "EF" on the pocket. Mr BB explained to me that this guy would go to the various tailors and buy items that were hand stitched and people didn't collect!!!

I'm a horder to a very small degree, but I know when it's time to get rid of things, especially when I haven't worn them for at least 2 years, but his stuff goes back 5 years!!! I wish he would buy one type of sock - all black or brown with no pattern. I hate having to match them up. At least if you lose one, and then lose another, you end up with a pair if they are all the same. :D

I would give these items to charity but he's 6 ft tall and most of the charities are for the Indians, Pakistsanis, Phillipinos, and they are hardly 6 ft tall and more than likely a suit is useless to them. The shirts would be of no use to anyone, but the suits can be taken to a tailor and altered. So, if I can get him to clean out his closets, how do I get rid of the suits??? Any suggestions?

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Are You A Clothing Horder??? Jan 28, 2012
Bora Bora , :idea: http://www.bcrglobal.com/locations/dubai for textile recycling in Dubai, your nearest bank is at GEMS World Academy, Al Barsha.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

I am a clothes herder, but only with t-shirts. I am not sure what it means though.

I donot only collect my own clothes, also from other people.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:I donot only collect my own clothes, also from other people

Trophies FD?

--- Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:33 pm ---

I'm not really a clothes horder but what I do, which is a bit bad, is that I buy clothes and never wear them. It wouldn't be the first time that I have thrown something out that still has the price tag on.

Oh and my husband used to tell me I had more clothes than Ava Gardner.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dillon ,

Thanks Dillon. What a great idea and a great organization. Good to know that it will all be going to a good cause. Now I just have to work on getting things sorted out!!!!

--- Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:01 pm ---

Bethsmum wrote:Oh and my husband used to tell me I had more clothes than Ava Gardner.

How would he know what Ava had in her closet? :shock:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Are You A Clothing Horder??? Jan 29, 2012
Absolutely! I've got clothes from years ago that I just cannot bear to part with. Actually I keep lots of stuff, I need to have a good old clear out, it always feels really good when you do it, but then I sit and think will I someday need that stuff I've just binned?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic ,

But think about that empty space. I believe in recycling empty space. It should be refilled. :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora , Nice thought, but as someone who hates shopping with a passion, that's never going to happen.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Bora Bora wrote:How would he know what Ava had in her closet?

It was just one of his daft sayings Bora, like 'I wouldn't mind those knickers filled with sixpeeny pieces!' meaning I had a big backside i think!

--- Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:51 pm ---

Chocoholic wrote: Nice thought, but as someone who hates shopping with a passion, that's never going to happen
WHAT? You hate clothes shopping????

I love clothes shopping, but only on my own. I never, ever, take anyone with me when I clothes shop.
Bethsmum

Chocoholic ,

I have no passion for shopping in Dubai but my passion level goes off the charts when I go back to the states. :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Are You A Clothing Horder??? Jan 30, 2012
Bethsmum , Yes, sadly I think I was traumatised by my mother at a young age, where every Saturday all I wanted to do was sit in and watch children's tv and instead got dragged round the shops aimlessly for hours on end - not happy memories.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Are You A Clothing Horder??? Jan 31, 2012
Interesting... I hate shopping as well !
As a result most of my clothes are stolen, mostly from my dad or elder brother and sumtimes from my cousins. (we are all bout the same size)
Therefore, i really have no problems with the clothes i don't want to wear cuz i wud just put them back :P

But yeah, otherwise i hate throwing away things...i hate changing things in the first place and i will always, sooner or later, find alternative uses to unwanted things.
tony89
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

tony89 ,

First up, best dressed?
Bethsmum

Naah, its more than just beating them to their closet. Its a form of special ops. It requires strategy, patience and a perceptive eye. It's an excruciating, long term process
...but more fun than shopping anyhoo :P
tony89
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat