Arabian / Persian Gulf

Topic locked
arabian / persian gulf Jan 21, 2009
hi everyone, my first post here!

just a quick question: are there any international waters in the arabian persian gulf?

from reading news articles about US / other navy ships they state they are in international waters in the gulf. but can find no confirmation of international waters existing. is it divided simply between iran and the uae? from my calculations the 12/24 mile limit on territory between the 2 countries leaves some international waters in the middle?

thanks & hope you can help!

jon_bennett
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jan 21, 2009
For all I know, the northern half of the Strait of Hormuz is sovereign Iranian territory. Under international law, Iran is only required to allow passage of ships as long as this does not affect Iran's security.

40 percent of the worlds oil comes out of the Gulf. Strategic important point.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: arabian / persian gulf Jan 21, 2009
jon_bennett wrote:hi everyone, my first post here!

just a quick question: are there any international waters in the arabian persian gulf?

from reading news articles about US / other navy ships they state they are in international waters in the gulf. but can find no confirmation of international waters existing. is it divided simply between iran and the uae? from my calculations the 12/24 mile limit on territory between the 2 countries leaves some international waters in the middle?

thanks & hope you can help!

The Arabian Gulf is International waters outside of the individual Country Terretorial limts.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat