Anyone Watching The IPL?

Topic locked
Anyone Watching the IPL? May 24, 2009
What a spectacle! The cricket was exciting and SA put her best foot forward. Another highlight would've been the Fake IPL Player Blog, interesting stuff that. Akon, Cheerleaders, DJ's Competitions and even a beauty pageant.The organizers spared no expense. A marketing blitzkrieg, 3 weeks was all it took the organizers to put forth this magnum opus. So much so that at start of the tournament the BCCI was actually asking FIFA to take lessons in event hosting. At the closing ceremony the head of SA cricket Board, was singing praises infinite. He stated that 1 billion rand was spent on the IPL in SA, unparalleled advertising, and a huge boost to brand SA. He went so far to say that thanks to the IPL the SA economy was revitalized. Is this the next big thing on the sporting calender? Or will the IPL find competition from other countries?
As a cricketer I have to say, it was fast paced and I haven't been so exited bout cricket in a long time. As a financier, the question I ask is at what price as this come? Post this SA adventure how deep in the red are the sponsors? At what price has the IPL come?
Looking Forward to the T20 WC now!
What is it that makes the IPL tick? Or is just an unabashed media bias?

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 24, 2009
According to the IPL commissioner, the IPL tickets sales has surpassed even that of the T20 World Cup held in SA .
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Anyone Watching the IPL? May 24, 2009
Talks are already afoot to start a roving cricket league, encompassing countries like SA, Australia and NZ!

While the Indian administrators are contemplating two leagues a year. Domestic and International.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 25, 2009
Great thread Misery.
smokedawg
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 25, 2009
Hate IPL; cricket for those with attention deficit disorder (hey that's just about everyone nowadays! :D). Give me a good test series any day (that doesn't include the current Windies v England one!). Even one day cricket looks better now the IPL has come on the scene.... :P
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 25, 2009
Hate cricket!!.......
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

May 25, 2009
why doesn't that surprise me?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 25, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Hate IPL; cricket for those with attention deficit disorder (hey that's just about everyone nowadays! :D). Give me a good test series any day (that doesn't include the current Windies v England one!). Even one day cricket looks better now the IPL has come on the scene.... :P

Fair enough. It's highly unliely that I'd be sitting home and watching the IPL. But wouldn't mind watching the IPL in a sports cafe and by the looks of it the stadium atmosphere is awesome. I definitely wouldn't mind going for a T20 match. Good Fun.

But you can't deny the fact that the IPL and T20 cricket has kicked off in a big way. These guys are raking in big bucks. I'm trying to understand the logic behind such mass support. The media hogwash has played a big role in promoting teh IPL.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 25, 2009
wow thats amazing...... :roll:
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

May 25, 2009
But this is not real cricket. It's just a bunch of fellows throwing the bat around. I really hope we can get back to some decent Test Matches.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 25, 2009
Lot of cricket purists detest the IPL and T20.
I guess T20 has expanded the horizons of cricket to a new niche market.
Like it or not, T20 is here to stay.
I don't understand, Rugby 7s is good entertainment, Futsal 5 a side is good fun. But they don't threaten the original format of their sports, unlike T20.Some say the BCCI and their selfish interests are ruining international cricket, others say that thanks to the BCCI the horizons of cricket have expanded much more!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 25, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Lot of cricket purists detest the IPL and T20.
I guess T20 has expanded the horizons of cricket to a new niche market.
Like it or not, T20 is here to stay.
I don't understand, Rugby 7s is good entertainment, Futsal 5 a side is good fun. But they don't threaten the original format of their sports, unlike T20. The BCCI and their selfish interests are ruining cricket.

20/20 is not for me, here to stay or not, it's not cricket
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 25, 2009
Don't mind 20/20, dislike all the rubbish that goes with it - cheer leaders, fireworks etc.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

May 27, 2009
I am not a fan of IPL. its not cricket its more like baseball. and whats with ppl who dont ball at all getting hat tricks??? hmmm sounds like abit of match fixing going on. but then again is that suprising when there are indians and loads of monies involved?

ppl usually turn up to watch the white skin girls with pom dance. they aint there to watch cricket.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 27, 2009
rudeboy wrote:I am not a fan of IPL. its not cricket its more like baseball. and whats with ppl who dont ball at all getting hat tricks??? hmmm sounds like abit of match fixing going on. but then again is that suprising when there are indians and loads of monies involved?

ppl usually turn up to watch the white skin girls with pom dance. they aint there to watch cricket.

No doubt bout it. The organizers are milking the IPL from every possible angle.

The match fixing part had also crossed my mind. Not just the hat tricks, but the run-outs and dropped catches as well. What was even more shocking was that the BCCI declined an offer by the ICC to send in their observers!
The ICC and the global cricketing community( Except Australia) are puppets in the hands of the BCCI
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 28, 2009
It will never be cricket for me
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat