Another Day In The Desert

Topic locked
Another day in the desert Mar 29, 2009
Well another weekend spent buzzing around the dunes. Although this week the weather was fabulous and the sand compacted and we reached the highest peaks without much effort 8)

Oops. Getting to show some suspension flex or the lack of !

Chilling out

A little too much satwa bling for offroad :D

Desert Titanic

My lone disco

Another oops

The naughty end of a Ford F 150

As always to be part of the action Log onto www.emarat4x4.com offroad fun for everyone. And its free 8)

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 29, 2009
Did you ever (nearly) got lost in the desert?

With low visibility it could get scary sometimes, or not?

elaborate please ;)
RobbyG

Mar 29, 2009
No not really, if you have good sense of orientation and have a sort of a mental map in your head you always have a rough idea where you are. But once you been doing it so long you can actually recognise diffrent dunes and just from a picture of the terrain can make a very accurate guess as to what area it is from. Actuall Instructions from this week drive as I was a bit late abd had to catch up with the group. " drive straight and we are behind the third big dune on your left ".

But once in the very begining when I was just starting my desertcapades and still a noob. I was heading to a new camp via the offroad short cut around 15-20kms away. It was getting starting to get dark and after a little while I missed a few landmarks and got disorientated so decided to trackback and go via the tarmac route. Anyways nowadays we all have GPS units . But I'm kinda old school and tend to rely on them a bit less. But to good to have them as back up just in case.
desertdudeshj

Mar 29, 2009
What type of GPS units do you use btw?

I heard you cannot buy TOMTOM in the UAE. Is that correct?
TT7 is the best ;) I wonder if its Dutch 8)
RobbyG

Mar 29, 2009
tips :

-when you get to the top of the dune DO NOT keep going straight, just when you are about to get to that point go side way so you wont get stock on top.

-keep the tiers pressure under 20.

-never hit the breaks

I'm no expert but my friends are so skilled the never use the 4 wheel drive feature !! sometimes they really makes you piss in your pants LOL

what area do you go to ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 29, 2009
RobbyG wrote:What type of GPS units do you use btw?

I heard you cannot buy TOMTOM in the UAE. Is that correct?
TT7 is the best ;) I wonder if its Dutch 8)

I had TOMTOM navigator installed on my PDA. I deleted it !

Garmin is pretty cheap here and works very well and they market them selves well here.

But Garmin Nuvi and TomTom are for on road navigation and absolutely useless offroad. For the Desert its best to use a Marine GPS which allows to save your tracks as routes and trackback aswell, most popular unit with the offroaders here is the Garmin 276C because it combines both on road aswell as marine navigation, a bit pricey though. I use a very simple, out of production, outdated garmin GPS 12. I do have the bew Nuvi series aswell bought it because of all the funky features abd stuff like touchscreen and colour screen lol ! But found it useless for offroad and now it just sits in the glove compartment.
desertdudeshj

Mar 29, 2009
looooooool we were there too this Friday...

visibility and sand winds were annoying but it was fun

lol thats me who is wearing the mask... we were a bunch of 4x4s and quad bikes following each other
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 29, 2009
Oh your a Jeeper too. Not bad, nicely done, jeepers usually have this bad habit of going overboard with mods until they turn into the ugliest things that ever rode on 4 wheels.

Keep it simple !
desertdudeshj

Mar 29, 2009
arent wranglers like CRAP in the desert?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 29, 2009
rudeboy wrote:arent wranglers like CRAP in the desert?

Wranglers are CRAP... on the road though. Almost 99.9% of wranglers owner have a 2nd car which they use for regular driving. But offroad they are quite good.

@ UAEKID. as to what area we go to. We go all over the place including rub al khali ( Empty Quarter ). I personally try to avoid the weekend warriors fav places along Dubai Hatta road. Its great for a person like me to living in the UAE as 90% is covered with sand desert.
desertdudeshj

Mar 31, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:
rudeboy wrote:arent wranglers like CRAP in the desert?

Wranglers are CRAP... on the road though. Almost 99.9% of wranglers owner have a 2nd car which they use for regular driving. But offroad they are quite good.

@ UAEKID. as to what area we go to. We go all over the place including rub al khali ( Empty Quarter ). I personally try to avoid the weekend warriors fav places along Dubai Hatta road. Its great for a person like me to living in the UAE as 90% is covered with sand desert.

Must have been a bit wet this weekend though
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat