Addicts.... Wasting Precious LIFE!!

Topic locked
Addicts.... wasting precious LIFE!! Apr 29, 2009
vera.chandler
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 29, 2009
Very true Vera. BUt I'd like to know how people still manage to get their hands on this stuff in the first place. It is believe it or not a big problem here.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 29, 2009
Where are these guys emarati guys getting heroin? And why is it that they are only doing the really hard drugs and soft drugs like pot almost dont exist here. Really wierd
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 29, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Very true Vera. BUt I'd like to know how people still manage to get their hands on this stuff in the first place. It is believe it or not a big problem here.

the problem is with most of the locals who choose to use it are using it only FOR FUN !! so again the early awarness in not missing but not good enough here. I would blam the authorties for having tuff laws toward drug users ( 4-7 years ) than the drugs smugglers. my friend in drugs police force force told me they aim at the users more than the concintrate on where it comes from ( afganistan & Iran ) he said the both countries can't control it.

if you wana stop it then I guess you should start by taking good control of the small wooden ships than comes from Iran as a local trade with not much of inspection ones they reach dubai and the eastren emarites.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 29, 2009
Kid, that's a really sad situation. It has to be stopped at the source instead of penalising the users, who clearly desperately need help.

Is there no education on the effects of drugs?

And using heroine 'for fun' my goodness that's scary, it's hardly a recreational substance.

Very sad indeed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 29, 2009
yes ...and the hall law needs a flush, I mean it is enough that you are in the same room with the guy whom they are busting to get the same punishment as the user him self !! even if you are not a user ! and how am I suppose to know if the guy I'm setting or traveling with is carrying any ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 29, 2009
Most addicts start using just for fun. It's just that some people have addictive personalities and start to crave it mentally, even before their body starts to crave it physically.

I've know long term 'occasional' users of hard drugs in the UK that never really got 'hooked' but it's just too risky to take such a stupid risk with your body.

Chocs, you wouldn't punish users at all? Or only ones who aren't addicted? Doesn't seem right.

I think uaekid is right that local efforts have to be aimed at finding users and importers. To tackle the poppy fields of Afghanistan, etc. has to be an international effort. I guess it's a joint matter of crushing the hard line part of the Taliban and also making it easier for Afghan farmers to make a decent living some other way?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 29, 2009
No of course people engaged in illegal activity should be punished. However they also need medical help to get over their addictions and stop the cycle.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 29, 2009
Thats true of course, and maybe jail is the best place for them to come off their addiction, although it seems that illegal drugs are quite easily available in prisons too!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 29, 2009
Legalize all drugs
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 29, 2009
I feel there shud be more of self awareness classes at shcool levels itself. Each person has have a self judgement in all turns of life.

It all depends on our minds.
vera.chandler
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 30, 2009
They also need to tell parents to monitor what their 10 year old kids are watching and listening to on TV, MP3 and internet. Media plays a big role in making people do bad things.
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 30, 2009
Snow wrote:They also need to tell parents to monitor what their 10 year old kids are watching and listening to on TV, MP3 and internet. Media plays a big role in making people do bad things.

Example?
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 30, 2009
FTD wrote:
Snow wrote:They also need to tell parents to monitor what their 10 year old kids are watching and listening to on TV, MP3 and internet. Media plays a big role in making people do bad things.

Example?

Watch out---your avatar!
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 30, 2009
you're a fine one to talk about avatars....!

and what does that have to do with drug addiction?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 30, 2009
Speedhump wrote:you're a fine one to talk about avatars....!

Nothing to do with it.

Have you read the thread of Modhesh-haters?
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 30, 2009
is avatar addicting? it only means that you need to make or campaign against drugs and tighten securities from imports and trades.
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 30, 2009
WhiteJade wrote:
Speedhump wrote:you're a fine one to talk about avatars....!

Nothing to do with it.

Have you read the thread of Modhesh-haters?

No but there is a Facebook group called 'Death to Modesh'
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 30, 2009
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, drugs.

Gov needs to start with trying to educate kids whilst they are at school, then continue that education through media etc.

However, why should the public help to treat an addict? Was it the public that made them stick a needle in their arm, pop that pill or snort the line of white powder? NO, in 99.99% of the cases, it was the user who decided to do it, not the public.

I am sorry, but I have no sympathy with addicts: their choice, let them suffer the consequences of their choices/actions.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 30, 2009
No offers from me :lol:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 30, 2009
Ironically I was watching a very intresting documentry called "drug wars: lead or silver" a very graphic one mixed with the reconstruction is quite a lot of actual footage, very distrubing to say the least.

Its about how a great nation like the US cant control one of its border with mexico. From where almost 100% of the drugs are brought in to mainland US and how deep the corruption goes.

One very valid question raised was why is there such a lucarative drug trade in the first place. The gang bangers, the execution style hits on leading members of the police force and politicians along with rival gang bangers fighting for turf in the drug wars. Because there is a such a big demand for the "product" if there is no "demand" for the product then all of this automatically colapses.

Yes ofcourse easier said then done, but it has to start from the root levels right down at ones own home. If you raise your kids right, make them aware of the dangers and the life of misery a life of drugs leads to. And make sure the message hits home.

I think all contries of the world should have zero tolerance policy when it comes to these sort of evils like Singapore.
desertdudeshj

Apr 30, 2009
maximusprime wrote:Where are these guys emarati guys getting heroin? And why is it that they are only doing the really hard drugs and soft drugs like pot almost dont exist here. Really wierd

Sounds an insider :roll:
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 01, 2009
FTD wrote:

Example?

example...check on the internet for articles about influences of media on children. You will find many examples there. :P
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

May 01, 2009
I asked a friend here about whether drugs were available here in Dubai (just curious ok, I'm not stupid enough to try for 4 years free rent) and he said that a loose friend of his was bragging about having coke and pot and E's. The guy was in a large society type bunch and was always having big parties etc.

Anyway, my friend gets a call a while back from his mate who is now in jail. Turns out he was trying to smuggle in a few grams of coke in his luggage coming back from the UK. What an idiot. Risking YEARS in jail for a few hours of face numbing fun.

So he got convicted and got 4 years jail. He served a year or so in prison then got pardoned during Ramadan. He then headed back to the UK.

Why anyone would mess with drugs here is beyond me. Why not spend a few hundred Euros and head over to Robby's place for some (relatively) risk free fun?

PS: What was your address again Robby? I've suddenly got some free time on my hands now ;-)
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 01, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:I asked a friend here about whether drugs were available here in Dubai (just curious ok, I'm not stupid enough to try for 4 years free rent) and he said that a loose friend of his was bragging about having coke and pot and E's. The guy was in a large society type bunch and was always having big parties etc.

Anyway, my friend gets a call a while back from his mate who is now in jail. Turns out he was trying to smuggle in a few grams of coke in his luggage coming back from the UK. What an idiot. Risking YEARS in jail for a few hours of face numbing fun.

So he got convicted and got 4 years jail. He served a year or so in prison then got pardoned during Ramadan. He then headed back to the UK.

Why anyone would mess with drugs here is beyond me. Why not spend a few hundred Euros and head over to Robby's place for some (relatively) risk free fun?

PS: What was your address again Robby? I've suddenly got some free time on my hands now ;-)

Lets drink on that :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RobbyG

May 01, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:

Well Captain, It's not completely risk free. Theoretically you still go to jail if they suspected you in the airport and found any narcotics in your blood stream.

For Robby: 40 days of drug celibacy before coming to Dubai. Remember that advice dude or else :P
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

May 01, 2009
bedro wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:

Well Captain, It's not completely risk free. Theoretically you still go to jail if they suspected you in the airport and found any narcotics in your blood stream.

For Robby: 40 days of drug celibacy before coming to Dubai. Remember that advice dude or else :P

No prob. Bedro. Not at all :lol:
RobbyG

May 01, 2009
RobbyG wrote:I'm a saint walking through the airport.

Until the immigration officers pull out a bunch of printed transcripts from Dubai Forums. ha!

:-)
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 01, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
RobbyG wrote:I'm a saint walking through the airport.

Until the immigration officers pull out a bunch of printed transcripts from Dubai Forums. ha!

:-)

Did you say something Captain?

I don't see any proof ;) :lol:
RobbyG

May 01, 2009
bedro wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:

Yeah, I don't think most people realise that one actually. But that said, I've been in and out of the UAE a dozen times and never once been searched, let alone blood tested. Make me think that it's only if you look dodgy or are coming from somewhere dodgy. [dodgy = suspect for those who aren't familiar]. Most of the time I've been on business so I'm dressed nicely and carrying a laptop, not wearing Thai fisherman pants and pushing back my dreadlocks. I have a feeling it's very subjective. Most of the time the immigration officials are busy on their mobile phones and barely even look at you.

But yes, something to think about for the heavy pot smokers. I've heard that if you smoke daily for a long time it can take up to three months for all traces to leave your blood stream. Technically, any trace = 4 years jail!!!
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat