I Am Addicted To Downloading TV - Help

Topic locked
I am addicted to downloading TV - help Nov 27, 2010
Hi All

Ever since my friend showed me how to download stuff free I have become addicted to watching movies and more recently series. My life is being lost sitting in front on my computer watching meaningless things. I need help.

Can anyone recommend any series they think are good as I just got through all of the seasons of Shamless (the UK series about the estate) yesterday and I need something new to download/watch. I am pretty open minded so am up for anything as long as its not soppy teenage stuff or the rubbish about watching peoples lives. Thanks for your help.

JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Re: I Am Addicted To Downloading TV - Help Nov 27, 2010
Check the Movies forum as people have put up movies that they have watched.

Try "City of Life". A movie about Dubai and it's people - locals and expats. You can watch the trailer on youtube (I think). It was a creation of an Emirati and believe it was shown at last years DIFF. Apparently it's pretty good. It's going into the stores soon and I'm going to pick it up. If you do watch it, let me know what you think.

There is a humorous American series: Weeds, which I love!!!

You said nothing about people's lives, but there is a movie called The Stoning of Soraya M. An Iranian film with English subtitles. True story and very touching, not to mention an eye-opener to think this still practiced in Iran!!!

What else are you interested in?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: I am addicted to downloading TV - help Nov 27, 2010
Well, when you get up to speed with the back-log of programmes to download, I can recommend the following sites for just-released TV episodes.

http://www.next-episode.net lists programmes just aired, and you can select programmes that you're interested it and it will highlight these, and let you know when they will be aired. Free to use and useful to check what's up and coming.

I use http://www.eztv.it to download the tv progs - they are pretty quick with the uploads.

If you're interested in UK tv, another option is UKnova.com - again free, but you'll have to register and the membership is limited.. but if you persevere you'll get on.

If you haven't watched it yet, I recommend 'The Wire' - all 5 series.

My current list from next-episode (which covers what my family downloads) is:

Burn Notice, CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, Doctor Who, Grey's Anatomy, Have I Got News for You, Hawaii Five-0, House, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Los Angeles, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: UK, Little Mosque on the Prairie, Mad Men, Memphis Beat, Merlin, Private Practice, Psych, Royal Pains, The Apprentice UK, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Top Gear, V, White Collar

I'm sure you'll find something you'll like in that list. ;)

(btw - haven't watched Shameless - any good?)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Shaf, between watching movies/series and DF, when do you work???? :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Shafique - I love Shameless - the name sort of says it all - give it a go - its not everyones tastes but if you are twisted like me you will love it

I use thepiratebay and btjunkie for all my download needs -- shamefully I am not an uploader - I just use and abuse. Will definitely try some on the list - again shamefully I have seen most of them.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

You using DU. Du has been throttling bit torrent traffic ! The buggers !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May have to try Shameless!

Bora - given I travel a lot, DF and dl movies/series keeps me sane/occupied at airports and hotels - my books keep me sane on the planes and by the pool. :)

When my wife and daughter are watching indian movies, I'm either reading or on-line - so that works fine for us ;).

(But that said, I rarely watch regular TV - just the news on occasion - everything else is DL material - including documentaries which I also watch a lot of. A nice side-effect is that I rarely see an advert now a days - and don't watch much crap - unless I intentionally want to watch crap! ;) )

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Bora Bora wrote:Check the Movies forum as people have put up movies that they have watched.

Try "City of Life". A movie about Dubai and it's people - locals and expats. You can watch the trailer on youtube (I think). It was a creation of an Emirati and believe it was shown at last years DIFF. Apparently it's pretty good. It's going into the stores soon and I'm going to pick it up. If you do watch it, let me know what you think.

There is a humorous American series: Weeds, which I love!!!

You said nothing about people's lives, but there is a movie called The Stoning of Soraya M. An Iranian film with English subtitles. True story and very touching, not to mention an eye-opener to think this still practiced in Iran!!!

What else are you interested in?

Bora! I cant believe what you've just said about 'City of Life' I have seen that film and it's absolutely brilliant. It was shown on our return Emirates flight to Newcastle. Beth watched it too and I have tried all over the UK to buy it for her. No joy on Amazon. Highly recommended.

@Joe, OMG Shameless, and to think that is so true to life! I don't know how they get away with that on regular TV. Shaf, watch from behind the sofa and do it after the kids are in bed. There is no way I would let a daughter of mine watch that. She probably watched it upstairs tho' :idea: Brilliant series'.
I expect you've seen Little Britain? That's horrid too but unmissible. Spooks is also very good, it's about MI5.
@Shaf, nearly time for Xfactor. I'll keep the result under my hat till you get to watch tonight's episode. I reckon that Katie bird will go tonight.
I have to say I'm addicted to the Jungle at the moment. Stacey Soloman is my hero.
Bethsmum

My very favorite - Absolutely Fabulous!! I still watch it to this day and still laugh as hard as I did as when I first saw it. I thought Joanna Lumley - minus the American accent - played me to a tee!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Well, Series 1 of Shameless is dl right now. I'll have to wait til tomorrow for X factor! (Yes, I like Little Britain - but didn't watch Spooks.)

I'm afraid that I really can't stand Big Brother and I'm a celeb.. I think I'm proud that I've never seen a whole episode of either.. but I can understand the attraction - we watch 'The Apprentice' each week and that's a sort of reality show as well.

Bora - Ab fab is great, I agree. I'm imagining you know as Patsy with an American accent! :)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I agree with you on Big Brother Shaf, awful. I have just watched Strictly, absolute gold tonight. Anne Widdecome did a comedy routine from 'Titanic'. Craig Revel Horwood said 'Titanic? It was more like the Arc Royal darling' What a woman and what a chest, I swear it has a mind all of it's own.
Bethsmum

Re: I am addicted to downloading TV - help Nov 28, 2010
Shaf - give Shameless a bit of time to get into - when its offending your morality you will start enjoying it and then you will be hooked.

Loved Ab Fab and little britain. As far as US series are concerned anyone into Dexter - I can't get enough of that.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Here are some interesting ones - Bound to make you laugh

1. The Pickup Artist Season 1 and 2
2. Keys to the VIP
3. Beauty and The geek
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

I only recognise No.3 but I can't walk that reality stuff. My wife watches the Kardashians (and a lot of other similar trash tv) - can't stand it. Are the other reality shows as well?
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

zubber wrote:Here are some interesting ones - Bound to make you laugh

Beauty and The geek

How old are you???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

JoeTGF wrote:I only recognise No.3 but I can't walk that reality stuff. My wife watches the Kardashians (and a lot of other similar trash tv) - can't stand it. Are the other reality shows as well?

true that kardahian's is totally chick material , i like reality shows cas they are just plain funny, i mean exactly how gullible do the directors of these shows consider their audience to be eh,

yes they all "apparent" reality shows. All are the same themes, guyz who have terrible luck with women go out and become real men... Telling you its just mad funny...

-- Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:51 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:

Beauty and The geek

How old are you???

have u watched it tigerlady ? Guyz who tremble at a sight of a girl try to make it with apparent hotties, heh , i think the comedic value is quite apparent, dont you ? hehe
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:
JoeTGF wrote:I only recognise No.3 but I can't walk that reality stuff. My wife watches the Kardashians (and a lot of other similar trash tv) - can't stand it. Are the other reality shows as well?

true that kardahian's is totally chick material , i like reality shows cas they are just plain funny, i mean exactly how gullible do the directors of these shows consider their audience to be eh,

yes they all "apparent" reality shows. All are the same themes, guyz who have terrible luck with women go out and become real men... Telling you its just mad funny...

-- Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:51 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:

Beauty and The geek

How old are you???

have u watched it tigerlady ? Guyz who tremble at a sight of a girl try to make it with apparent hotties, heh , i think the comedic value is quite apparent, dont you ? hehe

LOL............Tigerlady. I like it!!! You are one of the few that got it.

Well if you find watching really dumb bimbos who think 2+2=4 is algebra and a bunch of homely guys (clearly virgins!!!) who get a make over, then knock yourself out. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

This has only served to confirm my personal belief that TV = 'Totally Vacuous'.

I have one, it sits there on the side table and occasionally plays DVD's of quality movies. Thankfully, it is not plugged into the shitestream that is obviously called 'broadcasting' today.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: I Am Addicted To Downloading TV - Help Nov 28, 2010
Well I watch a lot of TV or well atleast use to. But never these series channels etc etc. Its always Discovery, National Gepgraphic, History channel etc etc. Although I will flip on the comedy channel to catch a good old fashioned sitcom or SNL but not shows what they call comedy nowadays like flight of the conchords, weeds, etc etc.
desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat