200 Car Pile Up En Rotue To Abu Dabi...

Topic locked
Mar 11, 2008
^ian^ wrote:
bonk wrote:I don't have fog lights. It annoys me because it means those drivers have disabled their emergency warning system.

Next to the hazard lights... there's these things called brake lights.

They only come on when you put your foot on the brake pedal.

Exactly.......fog lights are a premium acces. and don't matter when you are driving like a banana when conditions are not right.

Take it from one who has driven in snow/blizzards for 20 years. Hazards mean you are in trouble or are pulled over as a stationary hazard.

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Mar 11, 2008
^ian^ wrote:Next to the hazard lights... there's these things called brake lights.

And what is the point of brake lights?

Hint, be careful when answering, you don't want to end up shooting yourself :wink: ...

^ian^ wrote:Retards should be shot first, then the rest of us wouldn't have to worry about... well... anything.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 11, 2008
bonk wrote:
^ian^ wrote:Next to the hazard lights... there's these things called brake lights.

To tell people you are braking.

Hazard lights - look out - there's a hazard... which to me fog counts.
Brake lights - look out - I am stopping
Indicators - look out - I am turning / changing lanes
Reverse lights - look out - I am reversing
High Beams - look out - you're driving the wrong direction!

Shesh... no wonder there's so many accidents here.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 11, 2008
bonk wrote:

Hint, be careful when answering, you don't want to end up shooting yourself :wink: ...

^ian^ wrote:Retards should be shot first, then the rest of us wouldn't have to worry about... well... anything.

Notice I said "rest of us".

I still don't get why people get so emotional about the hazard light thing. Anything that could raise the alertness of another driver in dangerous conditions should be considered a GOOD thing.
^ian^

Mar 11, 2008
Well to break it down into basics. If you do not have fog lights, which are high intensity lights, your hazard lights are of a higher intensity than your normal low beam headlights and rear lights. Using your high beam is just stupid, as basically all you do is light up a wall of white, you should never ever use high bean in fog - it's blinding - to you!

So failing having fog lights, my hazard lights will enable people to see me long before they see my standard front and rear lights - ergo, the use of them is a better warning than not using them.

Any problem with that? Eat my shorts!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 11, 2008
^ian^ wrote:I still don't get why people get so emotional about the hazard light thing.

I didn't think I was getting emotional.

That you don't get it sums it up really. You've almost persuaded me that it probably is best for other road users if you keep your hazard lights on.
bonk

Mar 11, 2008
bonk wrote:
^ian^ wrote:I still don't get why people get so emotional about the hazard light thing.

I didn't think I was getting emotional.

That you don't get it sums it up really. You've almost persuaded me that it probably is best for other road users if you keep your hazard lights on.

Not specifically saying YOU get emotional, but people DO get emotional. You only need to read 7 days to know this.
^ian^

Mar 11, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Any problem with that? Eat my shorts!

The problem is that you appear to be someone fairly coherent and intelligent C, rather than completely clueless about how to drive. Until now I had assumed hazard light users were just uneducated drivers unfamiliar with foggy conditions.

I now have an even greater appreciation for the difficult job the UAE police have.
bonk

Mar 11, 2008
Ok, here's my last attempt for today.

C or ian, have either of you heard the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf?

Or The Hazard Lights That Cried Watch Out?
bonk

Mar 12, 2008
I would agree with you if, IF every car here had fog lights on them. However they don't, that's a plain and clear fact.

Simple point is I'd rather be seen, than not. And until they come up with 'add on' fog lights, that's the way it's got to be.

In any other situation, I agree that hazard lights are a no no, unless you are actually waring people. But when it comes to fog, it's a catch 22, to be seen or not to be seen, I know what I choose.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 12, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:I would agree with you if, IF every car here had fog lights on them. However they don't, that's a plain and clear fact.

Simple point is I'd rather be seen, than not. And until they come up with 'add on' fog lights, that's the way it's got to be.

In any other situation, I agree that hazard lights are a no no, unless you are actually waring people. But when it comes to fog, it's a catch 22, to be seen or not to be seen, I know what I choose.

The only problem is when EVERYONE has their hazards on, it is like they are saying "hey, it's foggy, I'll drive more foolish than normal". When you are driving (defensively) with your hazards on, there is no difference than anyone else on the road. No one knows which way you are signaling, only that you are a nervous driver. Keep your hazards OFF, then when I approach you, I know that you are normal and may react to the same conditions I am in.

(not you chocs) But why have your hazards on and pass me at 140 as many do?
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Mar 12, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Iit's a catch 22, to be seen or not to be seen, I know what I choose.

Or to put it another way:
to be seen as an idiot or not seen as an idiot...

I don't think that you are one of these idiots, but if I see a car with hazard lights on in the fog I assume that they are an idiot.

Explain this then:
How does anyone else know when you are going to change lanes or turn if your hazard lights are on?
Why is it that in fog people use their hazard lights, but when the fog clears they don't use there turn indicators which is by far a lot easier to do?

Actually, It is a lot safer in the fog because then I can easily identify the idots on the road and give them a wide berth.
benwj

Mar 12, 2008
Hazard Warning Lights should not be switched on during foggy conditions unless you are at a complete standstill. The sooner every driver in the UAE learns this lesson the better.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 12, 2008
^ian^ wrote:
bonk wrote:

To tell people you are braking.

Hazard lights - look out - there's a hazard... which to me fog counts.
Brake lights - look out - I am stopping
Indicators - look out - I am turning / changing lanes
Reverse lights - look out - I am reversing
High Beams - look out - you're driving the wrong direction!

Shesh... no wonder there's so many accidents here.

Dear Ian...

I understand your point of view.... But to put an end of the story...

IT IS ILLEGAL TO DRIVE USING HAZARD LIGHTS IN FOG! this rule is set by the police department.

please call them and check...

Hazard light is ONLY and ONLY when your car is stopped or there is a hazard ahead where you need to warn everyone behind you.

FOG or Rain are not hazards... those are bad weather conditions!

did you guys remember the bad rainy days? can you believe there where drivers use hazard lights even in the rain?!?!?

Thats why the police department put the blame on the Hazard lights this time...

(Not keeping distance and the miss-use of hazard lights) this is according to the FM news this morning.

yes, there was speeding cars... however... not all the trucks, busses, and everyone was driving on speed... the main reason is why because due to thick fog... people was not able to tell if the hazard flash infront of them is to warn them due to an accident... or it is from another driver scared and he is flashing his hazard lights while driving.

everytime the country get into fog conditions... the police ALWAYS advice drivers to drive slowly and NOT to use Hazard lights... but no one listen (I guess)

as I said... I understand everyone opinion... but this debate is simply answered by the police Dept.

just my two fils :)
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 12, 2008
If you do not have fog lights, which are high intensity lights, your hazard lights are of a higher intensity than your normal low beam headlights and rear lights.

Please explain how a 21 watt rear light lamp has more "intensity" than a 21 watt indicator lamp?

You should only use hazards when stopped or when you are warning someone of an impending hazard. You don't need to tell other people it's foggy when it's foggy or raining when it's raining.

I think the police should be stricter about who they give licences too. i.e only people who are used to driving in civilised developed cities, i.e UK, france, germany etc. No australians, indians, pak etc. and absolutely no idiot women who say they have no sympathy for anyone involved in a horrific crash which claimed many lives.
john smith
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008
People driving too fast in fog are a hazard.
People driving with hazard lights on are a hazard.

How do you learn how dangerous you are?

A. Understand a rational explanation why.
B. Get fined by the traffic police.
C. Be involved in, or cause an accident as a result of your lack of understanding, and survive.
D. Die.

The speeding drivers are likely to be a lost cause but I hope the hazard light users are not as arrogant, and can still learn.

C and ian, either you aren't able to learn from method A, or explanations from me and several others aren't clear enough. I don't know how I can make it clearer so I hope you learn from method B rather than C or D.

If you really think you are right, then tear apart my explanation of how hazard light users contributed to yesterday's pile-up. No one has yet.
bonk

Mar 12, 2008
bonk wrote:C and ian, either you aren't able to learn from method A, or explanations from me and several others aren't clear enough. I don't know how I can make it clearer so I hope you learn from method B rather than C or D.

nice one :lol:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 12, 2008
bonk wrote:People driving too fast in fog are a hazard.
People driving with hazard lights on are a hazard.

How do you learn how dangerous you are?

A. Understand a rational explanation why.
B. Get fined by the traffic police.
C. Be involved in, or cause an accident as a result of your lack of understanding, and survive.
D. Die.

The speeding drivers are likely to be a lost cause but I hope the hazard light users are not as arrogant, and can still learn.

C and ian, either you aren't able to learn from method A, or explanations from me and several others aren't clear enough. I don't know how I can make it clearer so I hope you learn from method B rather than C or D.

If you really think you are right, then tear apart my explanation of how hazard light users contributed to yesterday's pile-up. No one has yet.

Absolutely tragic accident. Felt really bad abt it. but people in here are more interested in covering the sensational news than anything. Read somewhere 'Dubai: Worlds largest road accident, watch it now' .

I dont see the logic in how, shouting out to people that there are 100 cars piled ahead of me and i'm stopping now or trying to get to a side to avoid accident and switching on Hazard lights can cause 100 more vehciles to lose control and hit each other.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 12, 2008
im still standing my ground advocating hazard lights, hell ill say that the police dont know what they're talking about if htey're saying not to turn them on.

like chocoholic said, better be seen than not be seen at all..

if you got hazard lights on and you're changing lanes, then you're a bloody idiot.

hazard lights, drive slow, stick to your lane, keep the person infront of you at bay where you can just see his lights but giving you enough time to react if he comes to a stand still.....

the problem is, even if you do all the right things by the road and yourself, you'll get collected from the back by an absolute moron of a human being.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 12, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:I dont see the logic in how ...... switching on Hazard lights can cause 100 more vehciles to lose control and hit each other.

Being able to switch on hazard lights might have reduced the number of cars involved. See my earlier explanation.
bonk

Mar 12, 2008
bonk wrote:
St.Lucifer wrote:I dont see the logic in how ...... switching on Hazard lights can cause 100 more vehciles to lose control and hit each other.

Being able to switch on hazard lights might have reduced the number of cars involved. See my earlier explanation.

jesus christ, the problem isnt in the bloody hazard lights, its in the next 50 cars travelling at 150 km/her in conditions where you shouldnt be going over 60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im sorry but traffic police here are far from competant, or qualified...
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 12, 2008
ebonics wrote:
bonk wrote:

jesus christ, the problem isnt in the bloody hazard lights, its in the next 50 cars travelling at 150 km/her in conditions where you shouldnt be going over 60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im sorry but traffic police here are far from competant, or qualified...

Adding to the problem of High speed is people like you who have no idea what you are doing. If traffic regulation state that you should not drive with your Hazard Warning Lights on, then that is what we all should do.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 12, 2008
is that why they call me a rating one driver where i come from?

where i come from also quotes:

Not having a mandatory rear fog lamp requirement has resulted in Australia creating the world-unique allowance of using a vehicles hazard-warning lights when - ‘driving under under hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility’. Created by NSW following a 53 car pile-up in fog in the 1980’s on the F6, and THEN adopted nationally via the Australian Road Rules process back in the late 1990’s, to act as defacto rear fog lamps! (Make no mistake, the rear fog lamp IS brighter).

common sense prevails......

here is the exact law article

221 Using hazard warning lightsThe driver of a vehicle fitted with hazard warning lights must not use the hazard warning lights, or allow them to beused, unless—
(a) the vehicle is stopped and is obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path of other vehicles or pedestrians; or
(b) the vehicle is a slow-moving vehicle and is obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path of other vehicles orpedestrians; or
(c) the vehicle is stopped in an emergency stopping lane; or
(d) the driver stops the vehicle to sell a product (for example, ice creams) that may attract children onto the road; or
(e) the driver is driving in hazardous weather conditions (for example, fog or smoke); or
(f) the hazard warning lights are operating as part of an anti-theft device fitted to the vehicle; or
(g) (omitted)Maximum penalty—20 penalty units

the fact that i get a driving license the day i step in here with no tests or anything similar, is testament that my driving provisions where i come from are adaquate...

this is a country where people dont stop for people at a pedestrian crossing
so if anyone here says i shouldnt turn them on can bite me. - because that makes 0 sense.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 12, 2008
put all that aside,

if you stop / crash / breakdown - you'd turn them on

so your logic, bonk, that they contributed to the extension of the pileup is just rediculous..
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 12, 2008
ebonics wrote:is that why they call me a rating one driver where i come from?

where i come from also quotes:

Not having a mandatory rear fog lamp requirement has resulted in Australia creating the world-unique allowance of using a vehicles hazard-warning lights when - ‘driving under under hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility’. Created by NSW following a 53 car pile-up in fog in the 1980’s on the F6, and THEN adopted nationally via the Australian Road Rules process back in the late 1990’s, to act as defacto rear fog lamps! (Make no mistake, the rear fog lamp IS brighter).

common sense prevails......

here is the exact law article

221 Using hazard warning lightsThe driver of a vehicle fitted with hazard warning lights must not use the hazard warning lights, or allow them to beused, unless—
(a) the vehicle is stopped and is obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path of other vehicles or pedestrians; or
(b) the vehicle is a slow-moving vehicle and is obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path of other vehicles orpedestrians; or
(c) the vehicle is stopped in an emergency stopping lane; or
(d) the driver stops the vehicle to sell a product (for example, ice creams) that may attract children onto the road; or
(e) the driver is driving in hazardous weather conditions (for example, fog or smoke); or
(f) the hazard warning lights are operating as part of an anti-theft device fitted to the vehicle; or
(g) (omitted)Maximum penalty—20 penalty units

the fact that i get a driving license the day i step in here with no tests or anything similar, is testament that my driving provisions where i come from are adaquate...

this is a country where people dont stop for people at a pedestrian crossing
so if anyone here says i shouldnt turn them on can bite me. - because that makes 0 sense.

It matters not where you come from, it matters that you are here and if the regulations here state that you should not drive with your Hazard Warning Lights on then obey the rules and stop adding to the confusion on the roads.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 12, 2008
mate - what confusions?

if the first car crashed, they'll turn their hazards on so not to get rear ended, the fact that they got rear ended - means the person that rear ended them was A) speeding B) not looking at the road

i fail to see how the hazards are blamed on this.

here people dont stop at a pedestrian crossing to let pedestrians go - doesnt make it right.

here you only get booked when you're 40km/hr above speed limit - doesnt make it right

here you're told not to turn them on - doesnt make it right.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 12, 2008
ebonics wrote:mate - what confusions?

if the first car crashed, they'll turn their hazards on so not to get rear ended, the fact that they got rear ended - means the person that rear ended them was A) speeding B) not looking at the road

i fail to see how the hazards are blamed on this.

here people dont stop at a pedestrian crossing to let pedestrians go - doesnt make it right.

here you only get booked when you're 40km/hr above speed limit - doesnt make it right

here you're told not to turn them on - doesnt make it right.

All of this is totally irrelevant, you should follow the regulations, because that is what we all are expected to do and expect others to do. When you decide to do what you want which is outside of the regulations, that makes it dangerous.

BTW Try driving in a 120km zone in Dubai at 160km and see if you get flashed or not.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 12, 2008
so answer me this

the first two cars that crashed, should they turn their hazards on or not?
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 12, 2008
ebonics wrote:so answer me this

the first two cars that crashed, should they turn their hazards on or not?

If a car stops or crashes it then becomes a potential hazard, so yes, they should turn on their Hazard Warning Lights if they are able to do so.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 12, 2008
Still you seem to have avoided my question! I DON'T HAVE FOG LIGHTS!!! So what should I use instead? I know for a FACT that you can see hazard lights from a greater distance than the standard front and rear lights.

And the comment about the police being stricter about the use of hazard lights, is just silly, because until all imported cars actually have fog lights as standard, this will not happen.

And another point, who the hell uses indicators here anyway?!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat