Gulf Spec, Whats That?

Topic locked
Gulf spec, Whats that? Nov 29, 2006
Greeting ppl,
I keep hearing from you folks that its recommended to buy a Gulf spec car in UAE. :?:

From my rather limited understanding, besides an upgraded AC and some protection against the sand, not many changes are done.
Do motorbikes also come under Gulf spec regulations?

Look forward to read the replies.

Cheers,
Hiren

hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2006
Some cars might have an upgraded radiator and thermostat. I can't think of anything else.

Sometimes, Gulf-spec might even be a bad thing, such as less airbags and safety features. Way less.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 01, 2006
gtmash wrote:Some cars might have an upgraded radiator and thermostat. I can't think of anything else.

Sometimes, Gulf-spec might even be a bad thing, such as less airbags and safety features. Way less.

Oh! Thats bad! :( Just when i thot Gulf spec means something more... darn!!
hirenmistry
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 02, 2006
well, there is also the issue that most of the GCC spec cars do have a higher bhp rating than some of the cars that go to USA, e.g. Nissan 350Z - GCC is 294bhp, whilst in USA, it is 287. Honda Accord 3.0l V6 - GCC is 275bhp, USA spec is something like 249bhp.

Outside of the GCC, there are stricter emission controls, this often reduces power output.

Also, here in GCC, out Specs may be slightly better than those found elsewhere, but then again, outside of the GCC they get more variety in the models, whereas we get perhaps 2 or 3.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 02, 2006
yorky500 wrote:well, there is also the issue that most of the GCC spec cars do have a higher bhp rating than some of the cars that go to USA, e.g. Nissan 350Z - GCC is 294bhp, whilst in USA, it is 287. Honda Accord 3.0l V6 - GCC is 275bhp, USA spec is something like 249bhp.

Outside of the GCC, there are stricter emission controls, this often reduces power output.

Also, here in GCC, out Specs may be slightly better than those found elsewhere, but then again, outside of the GCC they get more variety in the models, whereas we get perhaps 2 or 3.

Actually, Honda and Nissan use higher outdated Gross horsepower ratings over here for marketing purposes. Cars here have no more horsepower than American ones, which use modern SAE net hp standards. You can find the different meanings in wikipedia. Since this country has no standards, the marketing people just use whatever number they find.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto