Affordable 4x4 (Hyundai Tucson)

Topic locked
Affordable 4x4 (Hyundai Tucson) Sep 12, 2007
It seems pretty much popular in Dubai and yet affordable.

If I had only a budget for the 2.0L AT 4x4 Hyundai Tucson, will it be Ok (enough power) to make desert/mountain trip occasionally? Not for dune bashing or hard off roading, just for going camping with family, climb up the dunes for enjoying views (like the big reds on the way to Hatta?), gravel roads to pools/wadis, etc.

And do you know if they will launch a new model in 2008?

xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 12, 2007
It won't climb dunes, dude. Also, if you get stuck, there is no low-range gearing to help you get out. I've seen the ads too, of it climbing dunes in Hatta. But it is misleading to hint that it can play on dunes competently.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 13, 2007
gtmash wrote:It won't climb dunes, dude. Also, if you get stuck, there is no low-range gearing to help you get out. I've seen the ads too, of it climbing dunes in Hatta. But it is misleading to hint that it can play on dunes competently.

I guess the 2.7L V6 won't do either?
But gravels and small dunes are Ok right?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 13, 2007
xty wrote:
gtmash wrote:It won't climb dunes, dude. Also, if you get stuck, there is no low-range gearing to help you get out. I've seen the ads too, of it climbing dunes in Hatta. But it is misleading to hint that it can play on dunes competently.

I guess the 2.7L V6 won't do either?
But gravels and small dunes are Ok right?

Small dunes are ok, but you cannot stop or you might not make it out. Even cars can do gravel.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 13, 2007
gtmash wrote:Small dunes are ok, but you cannot stop or you might not make it out. Even cars can do gravel.

So what is the minimum specs for my requirements? Low-gear? XX litre?
I'm totally noob with 4x4. If I knew about cars, I could have bought used but with better specs.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 13, 2007
xty wrote:
gtmash wrote:Small dunes are ok, but you cannot stop or you might not make it out. Even cars can do gravel.

So what is the minimum specs for my requirements? Low-gear? XX litre?
I'm totally noob with 4x4. If I knew about cars, I could have bought used but with better specs.

You'll have to get a 4x4 with at least low-range gearing if you want go onto soft sand. You'll have to read up to see which ones have it and which don't.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 13, 2007
you are better off getting a 2005 or 2006 pathfinder.

Servicing will be better (since its a Nissan) and its got the Oomph to do most of the light Sand duning you would be doing...

Also, think of Re-sale Value...

The only thing about the larger more dedicated 4x4, namely the Land Cruiser (apart from the powerful low gearing torque) is the Differential...
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto