Rental Renewal

Topic locked
Rental renewal Jul 10, 2007
Hi - maybe somebody knows..

I rented my house last year and as per the law from Jan 1st my landlord cannot increase the rent, right?

And he would be only allowed to get me out of the place if a close family member moves into the house.
My house is owned by a company, does anyone know if there is a definition of a "close family member" of a company. Could they get me out if they take the place for one of their employees or family member of any employee?

Thanks - apl

apl
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007
Are you sure it's owned by a company or just managed by one? Our checks are written to a company but they are managing it for individuals.

If it is a company and the purpose of the home is revenue generation then you have no problem at all.

Also the onus is on the company/landlord to prove that they are giving it to a family member, Also it is worth noting that if they do say a family member is moving in and you see someone else rent the place or a new rental contract is signed and filed with the Dubai Gov then you can sue them. (maybe good to highlight that if they ask you to leave) I think what defines a close family member is if they are charging rent i.e. the landlord filed a new rental contract with the gov.

Hope this helps.

Btw… haven’t seen you in a while, hope all is well.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Jul 10, 2007
Thanks - It's definetely owned by a company as investment, so it looks good then :)

I'm here for 6 weeks now, that's a new record since I moved my washing machine to Dubai last July. But on the nice side I flew 200.000 miles in the last 12 months, so I'm a miles millionaire now :roll:
Madness starts again mid-August, but until then we should try and meet up for a drink.
apl
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Rental renewal Jul 12, 2007
apl wrote:I rented my house last year and as per the law from Jan 1st my landlord cannot increase the rent, right?

Only if there was a rent increase in 2006, otherwise cap is 7%.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 17, 2007
apl wrote: but until then we should try and meet up for a drink.

Yeah that'd be awesome, crazy busy for me until the end of this month but I’ll give you a buzz at the beginning of August.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Jul 17, 2007
fayz wrote:
apl wrote: but until then we should try and meet up for a drink.

Yeah that'd be awesome, crazy busy for me until the end of this month but I’ll give you a buzz at the beginning of August.

let me know too .. i would love to join
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 17, 2007
For sure, it wouldn’t be a party if there wasn’t family there :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 12, 2007
the hearing at the rental committee is on September 12th...
will post the outcome, but they all said I was very likely to win this one easily...
apl
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2007
and the winner is:.....me

it took four months, but they extended the first year contract at the same conditions and more importantly the same rent for one more year.

landlord didn't have a chance at all.
apl
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2007
sorry to hear you had to go through the courts but glad it all worked out in the end :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 23, 2007
I am in the same situation. Although I know I will win the case but the hassle of going through the rent committee and waiting for 4 months etc is not worth it. :cry:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Nov 23, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:I am in the same situation. Although I know I will win the case but the hassle of going through the rent committee and waiting for 4 months etc is not worth it. :cry:

But isn't that the point, whilst you may think it is not worth it, the message gets to the greedy landlord in the end, if you give up, they win.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 25, 2007
Indeed. If I have the time I would. Did my cost benefit analysis and unfortunately its not worth it.

sage & onion wrote:
BabyDoll wrote:I am in the same situation. Although I know I will win the case but the hassle of going through the rent committee and waiting for 4 months etc is not worth it. :cry:

But isn't that the point, whilst you may think it is not worth it, the message gets to the greedy landlord in the end, if you give up, they win.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai