Is It Normal To Spend Half Your Salary On Rent?

Topic locked
Is it normal to spend half your salary on rent? Mar 28, 2007
Hi all,

I am new in Dubai and am desperately searching for a home for my family. We dont want to buy since the prices are ridiculous - well, the rents are not better but at least we are more flexible.
I have a genereal question for all the ones that have rented recently a villa/apt - is it normal that you calculate half of your yearly salary gone for rent?
We have soon 3 kids and I am thinking of renting a type 4 villa (2BR with study) in the springs (close to the office, garden appreciated) - of course I would prefer the type 3 but budgetwise its just crazy!!!!

Anybody out there that goes through the same?
Julie :?

wegulia
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Is it normal to spend half your salary on rent? Mar 28, 2007
wegulia wrote:Hi all,

I am new in Dubai and am desperately searching for a home for my family. We dont want to buy since the prices are ridiculous - well, the rents are not better but at least we are more flexible.
I have a genereal question for all the ones that have rented recently a villa/apt - is it normal that you calculate half of your yearly salary gone for rent?
We have soon 3 kids and I am thinking of renting a type 4 villa (2BR with study) in the springs (close to the office, garden appreciated) - of course I would prefer the type 3 but budgetwise its just crazy!!!!

Anybody out there that goes through the same?
Julie :?

Rents are ridiculous and I would guess many people are indeed paying 50% of their salaries on rent. Many people share acoomodations so that each will pay a "resonable" percentage but is still only a rent share.

Nevertheless, if your salary is 1,000,000 Dirhams then 500,000 left is still ok. No joke many places (specially villas) rent for 300K and beyond.

I think someone posted a "poll" regarding this topic.

The conventianal wisdom is that 25% of your salary should go to rent (maybe higher if you pay no taxes on your income).

P.S. I just saw the post from Farah below/above advertising apts in Sharjah. You might need a separate passport to live in Sharjah!!!!!!!!!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Accommodation in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Accommodation in Dubai